More on Stuff That I Don't Know
I may have inadvertently, or advertently pissed off the Prairie Dawg (and a few others) with my stupid blog about the rock. I also got a few personal e-mails on that crap about where making rock records is on the “creative food chain” – or some shit like that. First, let me say that I’m pretty sure that I didn’t (and don’t) know what I’m talking about when I bring up such things. Someone pointed out that those statements sounded like bullshit false modesty (as opposed to sincere false modesty?). I don’t know about all that. What I do know is when I say that stuff about the rock – or art in general…it probably has more to do with what I’m doing and how I perceive the process. Maybe I’m trying to wiggle my fat ass out of trouble (and believe me getting my fat ass in or out of anything lately – is not easy)…
…maybe I say the things I do about the process of making records because I have so much fun doing it (even when shit goes horribly wrong) – and maybe because I have so much fun being in a rock band and doing rock band shit somewhere in the back of my head I think it must not be too important if it’s this much fun.
By the way – I’m not saying making records comes easy to me. I’ve made a lot of fucked up decisions in the recording studio leading bands I’ve been in to waste time, money and even the opportunity to “get it right” – whatever.
One of the reviews for the first You Know What album said (in reference to a few of my songs) that the melody lines (I think?) were catchy but familiar. I took this as a compliment regardless of whether the reviewer meant it that way or not. The music I’m involved w/ should be familiar…should be something that a person can make a part of their life. Seeing a movie (the right way) is an event – reading books too – even if you’re just killing time, a book can transport your ass right out of your seat into wherever – whatever. You can rock out in your car to a great record, but the record is part of what gets you to where you’re going, part of the journey – unless it’s Journey – then you do what I do and get the fuck out of the car. I love the White Sox and I’m glad that their love of crappy music formed a bond that helped those guys play as a team and have fun – but fuck fucking Journey.
While I can’t say anything that makes sense on the subject – I apologize to the PDawg and any of my other friends who make (or defend the making of…as high art) rock records. Hey – I don’t know what the heck I’m talking about. Oh, here’s what I do know – the Tall Grass Captains album is very well made and worth listening to. I’ll put a link to the TGC site when I redo my links stuff. Peaceout.
…maybe I say the things I do about the process of making records because I have so much fun doing it (even when shit goes horribly wrong) – and maybe because I have so much fun being in a rock band and doing rock band shit somewhere in the back of my head I think it must not be too important if it’s this much fun.
By the way – I’m not saying making records comes easy to me. I’ve made a lot of fucked up decisions in the recording studio leading bands I’ve been in to waste time, money and even the opportunity to “get it right” – whatever.
One of the reviews for the first You Know What album said (in reference to a few of my songs) that the melody lines (I think?) were catchy but familiar. I took this as a compliment regardless of whether the reviewer meant it that way or not. The music I’m involved w/ should be familiar…should be something that a person can make a part of their life. Seeing a movie (the right way) is an event – reading books too – even if you’re just killing time, a book can transport your ass right out of your seat into wherever – whatever. You can rock out in your car to a great record, but the record is part of what gets you to where you’re going, part of the journey – unless it’s Journey – then you do what I do and get the fuck out of the car. I love the White Sox and I’m glad that their love of crappy music formed a bond that helped those guys play as a team and have fun – but fuck fucking Journey.
While I can’t say anything that makes sense on the subject – I apologize to the PDawg and any of my other friends who make (or defend the making of…as high art) rock records. Hey – I don’t know what the heck I’m talking about. Oh, here’s what I do know – the Tall Grass Captains album is very well made and worth listening to. I’ll put a link to the TGC site when I redo my links stuff. Peaceout.


2 Comments:
That's right ed! I was pissed! Rarrr!! Mad enough to tell your son I was gonna get ya!
Yeah, about all that self-deprecation...does it mask an inner megalomaniac?
Dude, locating rock and roll on the Cultural Continuum is not an easy thing to do. The whole highbrow/middlebrow/lowbrow bag of crap. I'm constantly trying to reapprise my aesthetic in this context. I guess it takes me down some fascinating paths but I don't know that there is a "light" at the end of many of them. After all, it's "only" rock and roll.
I may have to blog on this one from In My Hole and spare the Ajusted message board my ridiculous aesthetic machinations.
"You Know What" band...I like how They Must Not be Named...kinda like Old Testament J_H_V_H?
Then again I guess there's a little matter of copyright. Duh, prairie dawg.
Post a Comment
<< Home