My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Doing Something

Last week's Mad Men may have been my favorite since the first episode. Who knows if it is the best episode or even in the top ten. That's really not for me to say. If you've seen my record collection you know you can probably take or leave my opinion on the good

...while also getting some exposure to the bad and the ugly

DD misses Clay/Liston fight to work on an ad, and he makes Peggy miss her birthday. Her fiance assembled her family at a fancy NYC restaurant for an evening of talking and eating. What a thrill. Draper is less than sympathetic when he learns what she has given up. In these scenes (before the main character gets too fucked up) I am reminded of how work/creativity/productive fucking around...whatever you want to call it, can be, for certain people, far more rewarding than adhering to social obligations.

Like Don Draper, I have invested myself in ideas that are important to me but may be relatively meaningless in the long run. The process is what is satisfying, or maybe a more accurate way of describing it is nothing in a birthday party or a social event that could be as satisfying as even making failed art.

I spent my 40th birthday overdubbing guitars with Devin. Someone asked me if I kept a low profile because it was a milestone birthday. It was not that. It wouldn't have mattered what birthday it was. I don't believe in milestones for just living, at least when it comes to my life. I do not fear getting old. I just don't want to sit around like a dick, with a bunch of people talking my stupid shit when I could be somewhere, doing something.

Probably not something useful or world changing....but meaningful enough for me.

Work is a joy. Making music is glorious and I am lucky enough to have friends who want to help, decent material to do, and the opportunity to get it done.

In the end, it is unlikely that any of my projects will be celebrated. That's ok. As long as I am not forced to celebrate a fake-ass holiday when I can be in the studio or at my desk, doing something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home