Room Dad, Not Bad
Alex asked me to be a chaperon for his school's trip to see the Kane County Cougars and their plucky brand of minor league baseball. Since the KC Royals have acquired that franchise I decided to take a vacation day to enjoy a trip with children to the ballpark...and do some scouting for the WhiteSOX.
uh, yeah
I had six kids (including Alex) in my group, they were all reasonably well behaved - but just taking care, keeping an eye on, and trying to teach baseball to six well behaved kids for four hours remind me that teachers - whatever they get paid...isn't enough.
Sure, everyone knows my wife is a teacher, but there is a part of me that doesn't always comprehend how difficult being an elementary school teacher is, until I volunteer at the school or we have a party full of the little rug rats...and I haven't even helped them learn how to read.
Beyond my useless social comment, I'm glad I took the day off to enjoy a day in the sun with my son, his friends, and our great game.
uh, yeah
I had six kids (including Alex) in my group, they were all reasonably well behaved - but just taking care, keeping an eye on, and trying to teach baseball to six well behaved kids for four hours remind me that teachers - whatever they get paid...isn't enough.
Sure, everyone knows my wife is a teacher, but there is a part of me that doesn't always comprehend how difficult being an elementary school teacher is, until I volunteer at the school or we have a party full of the little rug rats...and I haven't even helped them learn how to read.
Beyond my useless social comment, I'm glad I took the day off to enjoy a day in the sun with my son, his friends, and our great game.


2 Comments:
No knock on the police, but I think teachers have a tougher job. With the police, all you have to do is control the situation. As a teacher, first you have to control the situation, THEN you have to transfer knowledge.
Yeah, I felt like a riot cop without the gear...naw, those kids were great, but I still want the gear
Post a Comment
<< Home