Scooterito
So they’ve got some charges for Scooter. Now my friends who understand these things better than I do are quick to say – look it’s not treason – but the obstruction of justice charge is a big deal. What’s interesting to me – if Hot Karl and everybody else skates – and the only charge that sticks is the obstruction stuff – then Scooter stands accused (as far as I can tell) of covering up a conspiracy that never existed. I’m glad I have friends that understand this better than I do.
On a serious note – how much of a threat can a guy named Scooter be??? And, if our regime is threatened by a game named Scooter – we have bigger problems than Scooter himself.
I’m not going to say anything about the nomination of Judge Ito other than – NPR broke into their morning news coverage with the announcement early this morning. I was up so early today, I felt like I was on DC time (Bush the Younger DC time – not Clinton/Reagan DC time)…I’d still be sleeping – or something…
I know it sounds weird to say that NPR broke into the news with a NEWS story, but hear me out. With every SC nomination that’s come out since I’ve been somewhat aware of these things…I’m always struck by the seriousness that news outlets – as a whole - have for this business. It is like the sacred appointment of some high priest of the realm or some such junk. I’m not a big one for the old, boring: ‘Look how the media shapes our perception of X or Y!!!!’ – but look how the media shapes our perception of the Supreme Court!!!!
…man, I’m an idiot.
When news outlets – from across the board announce acts of Congress – or actions of the executive branch – whatever – we often get to hear some of the dirt, fighting, or other stuff associated with such things. But when CNN or whatever announce a Supreme Court decision – we always hear: “The Supreme Court handed down today”…spoken in the most reverent of tones. It’s like nine immortals allowed us to touch their mystical shit from the top of Mt Olympus OM-10 (bad old camera joke). Maybe this is too much of a personal confession here. I teach that Religion and the Constitution class – and I spend a lot of time trying to put the inconsistencies of the Court regarding the 1st Amendment – (as well as the 20th Century interp of the 14th) – on the table for discussion. It takes several weeks just to get most of my students to even consider the possibility that the Constitution might mean something other than what the judges say…
…maybe those judges need to help me figure out what I’m trying to say – that would certainly distract them.
On a serious note – how much of a threat can a guy named Scooter be??? And, if our regime is threatened by a game named Scooter – we have bigger problems than Scooter himself.
I’m not going to say anything about the nomination of Judge Ito other than – NPR broke into their morning news coverage with the announcement early this morning. I was up so early today, I felt like I was on DC time (Bush the Younger DC time – not Clinton/Reagan DC time)…I’d still be sleeping – or something…
I know it sounds weird to say that NPR broke into the news with a NEWS story, but hear me out. With every SC nomination that’s come out since I’ve been somewhat aware of these things…I’m always struck by the seriousness that news outlets – as a whole - have for this business. It is like the sacred appointment of some high priest of the realm or some such junk. I’m not a big one for the old, boring: ‘Look how the media shapes our perception of X or Y!!!!’ – but look how the media shapes our perception of the Supreme Court!!!!
…man, I’m an idiot.
When news outlets – from across the board announce acts of Congress – or actions of the executive branch – whatever – we often get to hear some of the dirt, fighting, or other stuff associated with such things. But when CNN or whatever announce a Supreme Court decision – we always hear: “The Supreme Court handed down today”…spoken in the most reverent of tones. It’s like nine immortals allowed us to touch their mystical shit from the top of Mt Olympus OM-10 (bad old camera joke). Maybe this is too much of a personal confession here. I teach that Religion and the Constitution class – and I spend a lot of time trying to put the inconsistencies of the Court regarding the 1st Amendment – (as well as the 20th Century interp of the 14th) – on the table for discussion. It takes several weeks just to get most of my students to even consider the possibility that the Constitution might mean something other than what the judges say…
…maybe those judges need to help me figure out what I’m trying to say – that would certainly distract them.


5 Comments:
There's a lot of "solemnity" going around, not the least of whose is Joseph Wilson, who looked oh-so-slick with his "diabolically" outed secret agent wife in his Vanity Fair spread, and who is oh-so-convinced there was NO attempt by Iraq to acquire radioactive material from Niger. How could there have been? After all, Joseph Wilson is a big time ambassador! He would know! He asked somebody!
If there is a wrongdoing in the administration, it is much closer in importance to a semen-stained dress than it is to, say, an illegal arms deal with Iran.
But hey, it's "payback" time, and there are journalists and lawyers who need to make names for themselves, even if it is at our expense. What a snoozefest.
Re: the Supremes, what's the worst that could happen? A LOT of Democrats will get elected.
Not that I don't love the Family Medical Leave Act.
Who is this "Prairie Dawg?"
You wrote: how much of a threat can a guy named Scooter be???
My sediments (sic) exactly.
Well... I said something similar in an email to that adorable blonde that's on the mailing list
I've been thinking about my above comment and I should add that I'm willing to believe there is a sinister thang going on under all this but I'd like to be shown this, not inferred-via-tinfoil-hat speculation, which is what we call "news" these days. I guess much of it depends on whether you believe a chicken or an egg came first (which, tritely, explains every political disagreement).
I don't care for the crew in power now, though I (truly) admire their political skill. They play to win, unlike wussy democrats (Clinton, as always, excepted), and they understand realpolitik and don't act all coy about it. People talk about our "ruined reputation" abroad. What does this even mean? Have they looked abroad, recently?
The administration's problem, as I see it, is claiming "principles" but not being accountable for those principles. When called upon it, they simply shift the goalpost. But what their detractors fail to realize is that this shifting goalpost is the perogative of the party in charge, and the only surefire way to change this fact is to get your people elected.
Sooooo, I apologize now for this and any future political rants. Forgive me, o magnanimous blog host and splendid guests!
Very nice site! Article computer system security Tooth whitening farmington acne Lesbian blondes gettin the cock Digital 4 x 6 photo printers Honda shadow mc guard Dreampharmaceuticals com ionamin online order Orlando convertible car top replacement http://www.tadalafil4.info
Post a Comment
<< Home