My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Treasures

Coughing a fuck of a lot. Stupid lingering summer snuffle. Work was busy, busy, busy. Who am I kidding, I love the action of a Monday at my weird little job.

Came home and got my accordion, sheet music and props together for the gig at Oak Crest Retirement Community. One of Alex's friend's mom works there and we were happy to go out and play for "Floats and Notes." I resisted the obvious "meds in the root beer" jokes. Let's pretend I am a better man for it.

I did say once or twice, "Be sure to tip your bartender."

I think the set was...

Cocktails for Two
Margie
Darling Je Vous Aime Beaucoup
Autumn Leaves
Come Back to Sorrento
Shine on Harvest Moon
Linda
Dream a Little Dream of Me
I Found a Million Dollar Baby
Blue Skies
Heart of My Heart
My Blue Heaven
Baby Doll Polka
No Beer in Heaven

There were a few moments after the applause died down between songs that one resident would yell at their neighbor. When you have advanced hearing loss like some of these folks I'm sure it's not easy to determine when there is toodling and when there isn't. The best broken moment of silence came when this lady shouted out, "He's got a nice personality up there. A little strange maybe..."

Alex was so excited about going to Oak Crest. His class did a pen pal program with the retirement community (and believe me it went much better than Ver. 1.0 with the prison community). His loved his pen pal Mr. Baker who was in the USO during WWII and after the war came home to be a music teacher. We've got a coupla great pictures of the boy and Mr. Baker from the kids and seniors party and the gentleman wore a hat the boy made for him.

Alex came home and told me a thousand stories about his pen pal.

One of the ladies told me that the songs I played were like lost treasures for them that reminded them of their youth and when life was full of promise. I told her and those who could hear at the gig that I was standing in a room full of treasures. Their stories and their lives are made fresh again when they share them with the young. They are living history because, quite frankly they lived history.

1 Comments:

Anonymous aka goo said...

Love the quote from the elderly lady!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home