Funnel Cloud from the South
Came home from lunch to check on KJ. My poor sweetie has been sick, but she's doing a lot better now. Unbeknownst to me, southern DK County was under a tornado warning. It became beknownst to me as soon as I left the house, got into my car and the big siren started wailing its siren ass off.
I went back and gave Kim one more peck on the cheek and said, "It's probably nothing. It takes less than five minutes for me to drive back to work at this time of the day. I'll be at the office in enough time to punch in and pretend to cower in the basement."
"Nice," Kim said.
As I drove north, down (or, I guess up) south First St I saw a funnel cloud in my rear view mirror. I pulled over to the side and got out my phone. I called Kim and told her, "Don't panic. It looks far away but I think I see the funnel cloud that turned today's storm into a tornado warning. Get in the basement with Cookie ok? I'll call you from work."
She said, "Turn around."
I said, "I'm too far away to turn around and come back. I can't judge how far away the potential badness is but it's better I keep going the way I am. Just get the dog and get yourself in the basement. I love you."
"I love you too."
Turns out nothing ever touched down and everyone and everything are ok here in DK Rock City and with my little crew. Alex was on his way back from a field trip but made it to school before any nasty weather reached them.
I got back to work, punched in, told the office manager (who was the last person upstairs) to go downstairs because I saw a funnel cloud. But then, what do I know? Besides he is the boss.
Texted Kim several times from the basement. She and Cookie were relaxing on the futon downstairs. Steve H sought shelter in the basement of our work. We whiled away the time arguing whether or not the mojito was Hemmingway's favorite drink.
We asked one of the kids to whip out their smart phone and settle the debate for us. The internet search she conducted was inconclusive. Some results confirmed that mojito was in fact Papa's favorite drink while others indicated that he preferred daiquiris. The one thing Steve and I agreed on was that Hemmingway would've probably loved the "Girl-Drink Drunk" sketch from Kids in the Hall.
Came home for fun and Family Movie Night. Alex's baseball practice was cancelled. He worked on his horn and London Bridge was strong! We ate the food our dear friend Joan B brought over for Kim and swapped storm stories from today.
Kim and Alex went to bed after Star Trek. I stayed up and finished the Road. I must be really depressed for that movie to make me feel good about modern life. It is not so much the rubbish Blur would lead us to believe it was.
That last sentence however, unforgivable.
I went back and gave Kim one more peck on the cheek and said, "It's probably nothing. It takes less than five minutes for me to drive back to work at this time of the day. I'll be at the office in enough time to punch in and pretend to cower in the basement."
"Nice," Kim said.
As I drove north, down (or, I guess up) south First St I saw a funnel cloud in my rear view mirror. I pulled over to the side and got out my phone. I called Kim and told her, "Don't panic. It looks far away but I think I see the funnel cloud that turned today's storm into a tornado warning. Get in the basement with Cookie ok? I'll call you from work."
She said, "Turn around."
I said, "I'm too far away to turn around and come back. I can't judge how far away the potential badness is but it's better I keep going the way I am. Just get the dog and get yourself in the basement. I love you."
"I love you too."
Turns out nothing ever touched down and everyone and everything are ok here in DK Rock City and with my little crew. Alex was on his way back from a field trip but made it to school before any nasty weather reached them.
I got back to work, punched in, told the office manager (who was the last person upstairs) to go downstairs because I saw a funnel cloud. But then, what do I know? Besides he is the boss.
Texted Kim several times from the basement. She and Cookie were relaxing on the futon downstairs. Steve H sought shelter in the basement of our work. We whiled away the time arguing whether or not the mojito was Hemmingway's favorite drink.
We asked one of the kids to whip out their smart phone and settle the debate for us. The internet search she conducted was inconclusive. Some results confirmed that mojito was in fact Papa's favorite drink while others indicated that he preferred daiquiris. The one thing Steve and I agreed on was that Hemmingway would've probably loved the "Girl-Drink Drunk" sketch from Kids in the Hall.
Came home for fun and Family Movie Night. Alex's baseball practice was cancelled. He worked on his horn and London Bridge was strong! We ate the food our dear friend Joan B brought over for Kim and swapped storm stories from today.
Kim and Alex went to bed after Star Trek. I stayed up and finished the Road. I must be really depressed for that movie to make me feel good about modern life. It is not so much the rubbish Blur would lead us to believe it was.
That last sentence however, unforgivable.


4 Comments:
D and I watched that a couple of months ago.... although not something to watch for amusement value, it had some good points, well acted (by Viggo at least), weak story, no real conclusion (well, except for Viggo- that was a real conclusion for him). We haven't read the book- have you? I wonder if there's more info in it- what was the disaster, how did it happen, etc, etc.
For me that's part of the brilliance of Cormac McCarthy's story but I'm a whack-a-ma-do. All we need to know is for most of the film, the father and son are "each others' world entire ." To be honest, I didn't know anything about Mr. McC until No Country for Old Men came out. Then I worked with a guy who thought that Blood Meridian was the best book he ever read. I've been reading the Road on and off in grocery stores and today I read some of it at the Lockport Public Library as a study break. I don't know if that's a recommendation but I think author is brilliant (I'd buy the book if I didn't have so much crap I have to read for my work) and loved the film. But then, you've seen my record collection so you know what kind of taste I have. Weird.
darn, had a comment to answer but lost it by forgetting to hit name/url before publish.
Short version- we haven't seen "No country for old men" nor have we read any of his works... yet. It's definitely a "film" not a "movie" per say. I can't really say that I liked it in the true sense of "liking" something, but I definitely appreciated it.
We've been dealing with the other property stuff late last night and most of today, no final word. We're hopeful, but not holding our breath. It will be better than here once we fix it up, but there will be lots of hard work before it's fixed up. Hopefully we'll know more by Monday night.
good luck kiddo! Our little crew will say a prayer for you regarding this important stuff.
Regarding the movies...in the end they're all just movies and we all like what we like. Who knows what Cormac McCarthy's books or pictures made from the books are going to mean in the grand scheme of things.
It's just rare these days that any movie or anything on the teevee grabs me and those two did
Post a Comment
<< Home