Ode to Weekend Joy
Friday Dec 2
Hoops practice - then the boy had a party at Coach Craig's. Kim and I spent some much needed time together. Picked up Alex and glad to see that the boys hadn't completely burned the place to the ground.
Finished City Lights with the boy. He and Cookie crashed late. I stayed up a little later drinking whiskey and PBR and getting mean on the internet.
Saturday Dec 3
Spurs (Alex's hoops squad) lost their season opener but the boy played his ass off. Rushed home from the game and made a few stops for snacks and booze. Kim and I scrambled around trying to get the place together for company.
Alex nailed his first recital! It was the best he ever played. I was such a stereotypical dad - the first time my child plays Beethoven in public and I cry like a bitch.
Sorry.
Reception back at our place and it was a lovely time. Those who know me know my history of being utterly incapable of having a lovely time...but I was so overcome with joy, pride and other words from Stevie Ray Vaughn songs that I couldn't help myself. Kim and A put up the tree and the whole family did some Jesse Tree stuff. I act like a humbug but I love doing the Jesse tree stories and activities with my little crew.
Sunday Dec 4
I know I declared the Bears' season over after they lost to the Lions. Then Lovie and his players went on a heckuva run where everything went their way and they played some great football. All praise to them for that. But after the giant bag of farts Chicago left on their own field against the hapless Chiefs (whose coach is one loss away from getting canned) I can now, without reservation declare the season lost.
Or in honor of Jay Cutler, thumbs down Bears, thumbs down.
Thank goodness today isn't even mostly about football for me. Beautiful mass at Newman this morning. Sow Ol Diggy and ou dear friends John and Janine. Alex and I had our feast as we watched two bad football teams trying to prove to each other how bad they were. They certainly proved it to us.
Took Alex to trumpet and Garth reviewed the recital with him. Then he gave the boy a ton of new pieces to learn during the break. This was a great weekend and I will do my best to never forget it.
Hoops practice - then the boy had a party at Coach Craig's. Kim and I spent some much needed time together. Picked up Alex and glad to see that the boys hadn't completely burned the place to the ground.
Finished City Lights with the boy. He and Cookie crashed late. I stayed up a little later drinking whiskey and PBR and getting mean on the internet.
Saturday Dec 3
Spurs (Alex's hoops squad) lost their season opener but the boy played his ass off. Rushed home from the game and made a few stops for snacks and booze. Kim and I scrambled around trying to get the place together for company.
Alex nailed his first recital! It was the best he ever played. I was such a stereotypical dad - the first time my child plays Beethoven in public and I cry like a bitch.
Sorry.
Reception back at our place and it was a lovely time. Those who know me know my history of being utterly incapable of having a lovely time...but I was so overcome with joy, pride and other words from Stevie Ray Vaughn songs that I couldn't help myself. Kim and A put up the tree and the whole family did some Jesse Tree stuff. I act like a humbug but I love doing the Jesse tree stories and activities with my little crew.
Sunday Dec 4
I know I declared the Bears' season over after they lost to the Lions. Then Lovie and his players went on a heckuva run where everything went their way and they played some great football. All praise to them for that. But after the giant bag of farts Chicago left on their own field against the hapless Chiefs (whose coach is one loss away from getting canned) I can now, without reservation declare the season lost.
Or in honor of Jay Cutler, thumbs down Bears, thumbs down.
Thank goodness today isn't even mostly about football for me. Beautiful mass at Newman this morning. Sow Ol Diggy and ou dear friends John and Janine. Alex and I had our feast as we watched two bad football teams trying to prove to each other how bad they were. They certainly proved it to us.
Took Alex to trumpet and Garth reviewed the recital with him. Then he gave the boy a ton of new pieces to learn during the break. This was a great weekend and I will do my best to never forget it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home