It's My Least Favoritest Time of the...
…not Christmas. I love Christmas. We’re mixing down the first Action City CD single in Elgin tomorrow night. I love music – I love playing with my friends – I even love recording – I get excited when the red light goes on. Ok, there is no red light on the wall in Larry’s duplex – I can pretend, can’t I?
But I fucking hate mixdown. I have night-terrors about the seconds upon minutes upon hours I’ve wasted eq’ing the rack tom. Fuck the rack tom!!!…and I love the drums, but fuck the fucking rack tom.
Ok – it’s not the night-terrors about the rack tom, it’s just, the whole process is boring. At some point in every mixdown, I find myself missing the days when I drank everyday. I never miss this portion of my life – even when I was changing dirty diapers (usually my own, sometimes Alex’s).
I’m hoping this time will be different. The whole band will be there. I’ll be with my friends, we may even laugh (hopefully not at the basic tracks).
But I fucking hate mixdown. I have night-terrors about the seconds upon minutes upon hours I’ve wasted eq’ing the rack tom. Fuck the rack tom!!!…and I love the drums, but fuck the fucking rack tom.
Ok – it’s not the night-terrors about the rack tom, it’s just, the whole process is boring. At some point in every mixdown, I find myself missing the days when I drank everyday. I never miss this portion of my life – even when I was changing dirty diapers (usually my own, sometimes Alex’s).
I’m hoping this time will be different. The whole band will be there. I’ll be with my friends, we may even laugh (hopefully not at the basic tracks).


4 Comments:
You should get Phil Specter to mix your record. It would be real exciting to be sure. He wouldn't fuck the rack tom, he'd shoot that fucker and maybe Chris too. Chris, if you are reading this, wear a vest.
Bear down my man! First of all--you guys are mixing!! That's a fucking Christmas miracle in itself, innit!
Re: eq-ing rack toms--That's when you go get chalupas for everybody. Ya don't need to be there, homie. Then after you eat the chalupas, you get to take a break from eq-ing the OTHER rack tom courtesy a satisfyin' torrent o' diarrhea in the studio john!
My LEAST favorite part of mixing: Listening to your own voice, solo'd, singing the same passage over and over. If you didn't loathe yourself before, this is a damn good place to start.
Studio recording is why the good Lord gave us Bourbon.
Sip a Booker's on the rocks - none of the recording nonsense will bother you, and you'll (think you) sound better.
Fuck the fucking rack tom? FUCK THE FUCKING RACK TOM??? Actually, it's a different rack tom this time. No worries.
P.S. - I got f'd on Jaeger bombs last night (then stayed up thinking about what I'd done until 3) so I think it's a beer night tonight.
Post a Comment
<< Home