My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Why Do I Even Try on Wed Night?

The White Sox won the World Series one week ago tonight.

And I am still an idiot.

Wed entries just suck because Wed is such a long day for my dumb ass. Usually up between 6:00 and 6:30am because Alex is excited about River Day. Deb (Alex’s teacher) has decided to promote science and environmental learning stuff (as much as you can w/ 4 year olds, and younger) by taking the kids to the Kish and having them measure things, identify things take the temperature of the water…wade around in the river (I hope that myth is bullshit – Does that make sense?) – suffice it to say that whether or not Alex is doomed to spend the rest of his life in DeKalb – he LOVES River Day.

Ok – so my Wed starts extra early with a 4 year old who is ready to go. Then I spend most of the morning making changes to my newest Nietzsche lecture – sometimes making changes means calling my lecture notes, “Shit that sucks hell!” – ripping them “half-in-two” and starting the fuck over. Then teach both sections of the History of Social Thought…meet with students most of the afternoon. I don’t know what has gotten into these kids. I can remember when a two hour block of “office hours” in the afternoon meant a nice nap on the dirty floor of my office. For some reason, students from all my classes (and even former students who’ve figured out I’ve moved three times in the past semester and ½) come to see me and I’m pretty much booked from 2pm – 4pm. Kids these days…

Then I spend 4pm to 5:50pm reviewing my revised notes for the evening’s lecture. Reviewing my revised notes usually involves me saying: “These notes suck more hell than the shit I threw away! Why did I do that? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!”

6pm until whenever the post class crew decides to let me go is devoted to Nietzsche – the past three weeks we’ve been talking about a very limited portion of Z – “On the Thousand and One Goals”- and I’m still doing that a disservice.

By the time I get home, my wife and kid are asleep – and my brain has been shut off for at least ½ hour. Then I write an entry like this one. Damn.

Just think how stupid I'd be if I had a real job...

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

"Reviewing my revised notes usually involves me saying: “These notes suck more hell than the shit I threw away! Why did I do that? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!”"

I laughted outloud at this stuff, Ed (would that be, then, "LOL?")
Thanks for the AM chuckle!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home