Transhistorical Warnings and Those To Whom They Apply...
Took the night off from reading and writing about John Adams to watch John Adams stuff on American Experience. Nothing there that I didn’t already know (and remember, I’m not that smart – so probably not a lot of new stuff there)…
…but in the reenactment parts of Adams waiting for the election results and final counts of the 1796 election – the guy who played Adams was smoking these little brown cigarettes. I didn’t know our second president smoked Mores.
Not Mores – Mores! Moops?
I used to smoke Mores. I was playing video games at my friend’s apt and we smoked a ton of cigarettes while we played. His girlfriend came over later – saw all my More butts in the ashtray and said: “You bastard! What’s her name?!?”
My friend Pete, who apparently was as naïve as me said: “What do you mean?”
She said: “These skinny little brown cigarette butts! Only women smoke Mores!”
I’m still dealing with the fallout of this copyright stuff for the Religion and the Constitution reading packet. I should’ve e-reserved that puppy…but some of these older readings – they just won’t scan…or they look like crap. There’s at least one author who is completely refusing permission – or, permission will be impossible. Have I become the Shawn Fanning of the U? I sure hope not.
The Adams show reminded me of why I’m drawn to him – and the warning for me that comes from the life of John Adams…besides “Don’t retain Washington's cabinet” – or “Lay off the midnight snacks!” A few years after losing the election of 1800 – Adams publishes a bunch of articles blasting Hamilton, other Federalists – and a variety of enemies – Federalists and Dem-Republicans alike! He used these articles to rid himself of bad feelings from the past. While there are some benefits to this…most of them are private – and even the private benefits come at a cost. First of all, people who feel or understand these things – when they see someone blasting away in print (even in e-print) they know: these thoughts about the past have more to do with the author than the past. So – maybe the author himself gets this release – excoriates the demons in a relatively harmless way – writing: fine. But even this private benefit can be stripped away when the writer thinks: ‘Hmmm, in the process of purging the past I may have hurt or misrepresented someone I love.’ And if this author – whether Adams or me – is sensitive enough to still smart from things in the past – they damn well better be sensitive enough to understand – or at least wonder/fret about whether or not they have hurt others in the written exorcism process. If they don’t – they’re a hypocrite or the writer has deluded himself into thinking that he is the only one can be or has ever been hurt.
And that’s pathetic.
…but in the reenactment parts of Adams waiting for the election results and final counts of the 1796 election – the guy who played Adams was smoking these little brown cigarettes. I didn’t know our second president smoked Mores.
Not Mores – Mores! Moops?
I used to smoke Mores. I was playing video games at my friend’s apt and we smoked a ton of cigarettes while we played. His girlfriend came over later – saw all my More butts in the ashtray and said: “You bastard! What’s her name?!?”
My friend Pete, who apparently was as naïve as me said: “What do you mean?”
She said: “These skinny little brown cigarette butts! Only women smoke Mores!”
I’m still dealing with the fallout of this copyright stuff for the Religion and the Constitution reading packet. I should’ve e-reserved that puppy…but some of these older readings – they just won’t scan…or they look like crap. There’s at least one author who is completely refusing permission – or, permission will be impossible. Have I become the Shawn Fanning of the U? I sure hope not.
The Adams show reminded me of why I’m drawn to him – and the warning for me that comes from the life of John Adams…besides “Don’t retain Washington's cabinet” – or “Lay off the midnight snacks!” A few years after losing the election of 1800 – Adams publishes a bunch of articles blasting Hamilton, other Federalists – and a variety of enemies – Federalists and Dem-Republicans alike! He used these articles to rid himself of bad feelings from the past. While there are some benefits to this…most of them are private – and even the private benefits come at a cost. First of all, people who feel or understand these things – when they see someone blasting away in print (even in e-print) they know: these thoughts about the past have more to do with the author than the past. So – maybe the author himself gets this release – excoriates the demons in a relatively harmless way – writing: fine. But even this private benefit can be stripped away when the writer thinks: ‘Hmmm, in the process of purging the past I may have hurt or misrepresented someone I love.’ And if this author – whether Adams or me – is sensitive enough to still smart from things in the past – they damn well better be sensitive enough to understand – or at least wonder/fret about whether or not they have hurt others in the written exorcism process. If they don’t – they’re a hypocrite or the writer has deluded himself into thinking that he is the only one can be or has ever been hurt.
And that’s pathetic.


2 Comments:
1. When I worked at the hardware store in high school, the Tool Manager (heh heh), a very tall, beer-bellied man, smoked Mores. And not just any Mores - *menthol* More 120s (now that I think of it, though, it's possible that they're all 120s). Kinda makes ya shudder, no?
2. Kudos for deft usage of the word "excoriates."
3. About a week ago I sent two emails to the hotmail address you used to use - apparently you don't check that one anymore - I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, they should still be there if you're interested.
This is very interesting site...
» »
Post a Comment
<< Home