My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

More of My Less Than Popular Ramblings

This may be another entry that makes people who come here wonder why I bother to write such junk. Good question. For better or whatever, this blog replaced my stupid journal, daybook call it what you will. I write about my family and friends, stupid lists of stuff I think I need to do, I write a whole lot about baseball and sports in general, song lyrics, practical nonsense, and thoughts about religion.

Something about this weekend is bothering me. I had a swell time with my friends out at the Annex and even the aftershock at Twins on the next day. However, in the course of all the fun, I engaged in some gossip and telling mean stories all (or mostly) for the sake of some yuks. By the way, I’m pretty sure I was the only person doing this. Many of the stories I tell revolve around embarrassing events or things said and done that are less than flattering. I feel sort of bad. Now somewhere behind the back of my mind I think, ‘well I make myself look stupid so it’s ok to do what I do’ – but the other people that get splattered in the stories, they didn’t ask to be a part of the folly did they?

Please don’t mistake this for Catholic guilt or anything like that. I really did say some bad junk, and I think anyone in my shoes might step back and wonder (a few days later) ‘should I have really said some of that crap.’ I believe all that stuff that people call Catholic guilt, when people just beat themselves up mercilessly for doing something wrong – I don’t think that’s Catholicism properly understood. Catholicism is about forgiveness, repentance (in the original sense of changing one’s mind). That other shit, when people beat themselves up and say I’ve sinned, I’m a dirty sinner, I’m not worthy of God’s love or anybody’s love for that matter, that seems to me to be the work of the Devil (feel free to tune me out here, I’m saying some pretty unbelievable and definitely un-provable stuff).

I get some of my friends who refer to themselves as “recovering Catholics” mad at me when they talk about Catholic guilt and I say, “What is that? I don’t recognize that.” Maybe this is silly naïve ed talking, but I think any priest that plays the guilt card and constantly reminds their flock that they are fallen, isn’t worth a damn – and by the way all the good priests I know (and I’ve gotten to know many in recent years) do not teach that, or that is not the core of their teaching. Forget any realities that may or may not be associated with the church and just think of it from the point of view of telling a story. If you want to drive people away from doing the right thing, tell them they are crap, they are not worthy of love and they’ll quickly come to the conclusion, “Why should I give a fuck?”

Anyway, when I talk about things I do wrong or things that I am ashamed of (let’s not have the same conversation about the importance of overcoming my shame, save it for fucking Dr. Phil), when I write about this stuff here….

…I feel better.

Ahhh…

Thanks friends.

23 Comments:

Blogger Michael K said...

In my experience, Catholic guilt is usually reserved for those who received a Catholic education or who had parents that pushed a similar doctrine. In any case, I think you really have to be immersed in the "repent or burn" part of Catholic society in order to really get the full impact of it. I was being primed* to be a priest when I was very young and when it didn't take I felt very guilty. I felt like I had failed god and my family and the church. I got over it but some people never do and then they pass it on to their kids/flock. I guess I still have some anymousity towards the church but I'll get over that too someday.

By the way, I don't think repeating stories of someone else's stupidity is a bad thing necessarily. I think that intent is key in determining what is good and bad. If you told a story of someone else's folly in order to make someone smile, you did a good thing. If you told the story to defame or shame someone then it is bad. Don't beat yourself up.

*Get your minds out of the gutter.

11:58 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Re: your second paragraph, I think the distinction you make is a good one, and that's why I'm not totally going to go over the top with this shit. The fact that the line between making someone smile and saying something bad without a good reason sort of blurs sometimes is what gets me.

This is some good advice Michael. You would've made a fine priest.

12:03 PM  
Blogger DC Liar said...

You should just have Bill sign a waiver to assuage your guilt.

And, for the record, you weren't the only one gossiping or telling mean stories (hell, those are the only stories I got).

12:58 PM  
Blogger edP said...

I don't know DC Liar. You may be more decent than you suppose. In your stories you always turn out to be the bad guy...and if there is any fuckery involved it is the general fuckery of the world.

But thank you for your support.

And I like the idea of the Bill waiver.

1:34 PM  
Blogger DC Liar said...

As common practice, roommates (past and present) are excluded from the social norms of privacy and dignity in so far as storytelling is concerned.
Somewhere they're out there telling embarrassing stories about you; guaranteed.

As a trade-off; next time we're out drinking I'll tell you the story of how one of my ex-roommate accidentally waxed his dick to his leg. I just won't put it up on the internets.

Dammit.

1:58 PM  
Blogger olddogdk said...

Your point about the devil's work can be confirmed. Just ask him:

Hey, DC Liar, is that your work?

I think he's right about the roommate thing.

2:36 PM  
Blogger olddogdk said...

Wait!

I mean, NO!

He's definitely WRONG abouat the roommate thing!

2:36 PM  
Blogger olddogdk said...

shit.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael K's first paragraph sounded very familiar to me. The Catholic guilt thing is mostly from a bygone era but there are still quite a few "true beleivers" out there. And the purveyors of Catholic guilt are obsessed with sex more than anything else. As my late great father-in-law used to say - "Those old nuns wouldn't have been so mean if they had some of my polish sausage." I mean, if I'm a 16 year old kid going to confession, and the priest asks me if I masturbate, and I lie, who will get to hell the fastest???

3:42 PM  
Blogger Michael K said...

All this Catholic talk made me remember why I thought I wanted to be a priest when I was young. Father Liss was just about my all time favorite Pollack ever aside from my Monsignor who was just about as close to god as I thought I'd ever get back then and I'd met the cardinal.

Anyway, Father Liss would wander down to Cathechism on Sunday with a cigarette in his mouth and his collar hanging out and ask if we were learning anything. He'd lean in to me and a few other guys and say, "Us Pollacks, we gotta stick together with all these Italians around." Winks and smiles all around after that. He was also fond of saying to the class, "So you love Jesus, go to confession each week, tell what ya did wrong and you get to live forever. Good deal ain't it?" What a great character. He was like the Polish Sinatra to me.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, it wasn't "his" polish sausage, it was polish sausage in general - like maybe a kilbasa or something. I need to get my f-i-l stories right.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Lady Di )O( said...

I wish I had been there so I could make you feel more guilty.
;-)

Di

9:47 PM  
Blogger Lady Di )O( said...

I wish I had been there so I could make you feel more guilty.
;-)

Di

9:48 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I don't know Ed ... I can get gossipy and then I feel bad. I don't think it's nec "Catholic guilt" but just plain old guilt. The older I get the less I feel comfortable talking shit about people. I think we just grow up.

You're such a nice guy that when you say bad things (which prob weren't that bad ANYway) your nice guy side pipes up and says "No, Ed."

Which is good.
It's good you feel a little bad because your GOOD TIMES!
(More coffee, I have no business commenting this half awake.)

1:35 AM  
Blogger P-Dizzle said...

So now I'm supposed to forgive you for all that shit you were talkin about me?

What was it you were saying, again?

6:51 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Something about your hole.

But remember, I had your tongue's back.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am all about the guilt, but I have never been Catholic. Never been Jewish, either. I can beat myself up better than Joe Freakin' Louis.

My three greatest talents: Guilt; Worry; Sleep.

I'm a hell of a catch, no?

8:17 AM  
Blogger Chris B. said...

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, many of my favorite memories are tied directly to you. If I wasn't in a band with you, I'd still never have played the Metro. Also, our wedding day would have gone horribly awry without you fixing a bunch of logistical problems.

Plus, I think you make all the people around you not slinging Bill's ass with mud look that much better.

10:53 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Hey, thanks for the kind words baby.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay... okay... I know I'm now an auftn-come-lately... but I just want to confirm what Jeanz posted. Guilt, worry and sleep are staples in the pantry of her life. And as to your mention of engaging "in some gossip and telling mean stories all (or mostly) for the sake of some yuks." Well, ... the next time I make it all the way out there you'd better spout out a few about me while I'm there... I miss the memories of some of the more ludicrous/inane/stupid stuff I've done in your presence.

It was great to see you, edP... very great. And it was wonderful to be with old friends and to get the chance to meet some great new people.

Signed,

Not Catholic Enough to Be Guilt-Laden, but Guilt-Laden Ol' Me Nonetheless.

P.S. I love you, man!

8:44 PM  
Blogger aka-goo said...

Perhaps the "catholic guilt" thing has to do also with a person's strength of character, gender, learned gender roles, etc. As a female "recovering catholic," I have a decent amount of things I attribute to "catholic guilt" but is it really because I was raised Catholic, or because I'm female, or because I'm a person who has had a pretty strong sense of (a generation behind's) a female's place in society shoved down my gullet.... am I more succeptable to that sort of indoctrination? I've found recently that there are a number of decisions that I make, have made in the past, or avoid to make based on fear and on guilt.... Why do I feel guilty when I don't do what others say? Why do I feel guilty when I buy something for myself rather than buying something (unneeded) for someone else? Why do comments not intended to make me feel guilty inspire those feelings in me?

Ed, you've always appeared to be a strong individual.... You seemed so sure of yourself all of the time. It appeared that you didn't follow others, that they followed you. You seemed to have a strong sense of who you were and you weren't afraid to be that person.... perhaps that's the difference between you and me with the "Catholic guilt" thing. For me, if someone says something and, even though I've done nothing wrong, I feel guilty or I feel like I've let them down somehow or I feel somehow bad.... that's catholic guilt. At least from my perspective....

9:09 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Those are some kind words kid. Yeah, some of those same nice things you said have led me to be a bull in the china shop of life.

Re this:

"I have a decent amount of things I attribute to "catholic guilt" but is it really because I was raised Catholic, or because I'm female, or because I'm a person who has had a pretty strong sense of (a generation behind's) a female's place in society shoved down my gullet.... am I more succeptable to that sort of indoctrination?"

I will make no bones about it. I love our parents, I love our family - but it was a helluva lot more difficult to be you in our family than it was to be me for some of the reasons you said above. But to the extent that relates to guilt and bad experiences you have had - I don't consider that guilt to be part and parcel of Catholicism...rather guilt that was handed down to you by Catholics - the difference is important.

You also said:

"perhaps that's the difference between you and me with the "Catholic guilt" thing. For me, if someone says something and, even though I've done nothing wrong, I feel guilty or I feel like I've let them down somehow or I feel somehow bad.... that's catholic guilt. At least from my perspective...."

I think your feelings are real - no doubt. I think that these things may be part of growing up the way you did in the situation you were in. However, I stand by my earlier statement that Catholicism or even faith in God from a variety of perspectives can (if understood correctly) free one from guilt rather than constantly remind us that we fail or whatever. Catholicism as I understand it, and the message of the story of Christ - if interpreted rightly - is about redemption and repentance (change of mind) rather than sin and guilt. God loves us, becomes one of us (sorry Joan friggin' Osborne - not you!) and dies like us (not just for us, but like us).

I'm not trying to spirit away the feelings you have bravely described here. I feel honored that you've chosen to talk to me about them. But I think Catholicism, or an honest faith in the message of Christ's sacrifice can lead us from our guilt and shame not weigh us down in that crap.

You've come a long way girl, whatever that old guilt is that you call "catholic guilt" - I hope you can get that devil on the run... it was so great to see you, your husband and your beautiful daughter last month. You guys should be proud. She seems to be doing great. And you seem to have learned some important things from your past. Impart them to your daughter. We always want to try our best for our little angels.

Love,
ed

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Nude latin What big company made bontril Free gay pic outdoors Freiheight weight loss pills Free hardcore movie downloads Minidv krakw Keywords cialis vardenafil Battle of the babes reading upskirts http://www.provigil-0.info/Volvo.html zoloft and mdma girls dancing upskirts property in bentley gu10 Chris schmidt model Guardian ins dental acura integra turbo kit mountain home arkansas sales tax

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home