My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Friday, May 05, 2006

ajusted War

I shouldn’t do this, but my dear friend the Old Dog wants to hear (from reliable Catholic sources) arguments regarding just war. Initially I suggested St.Aug but for a variety of reasons, I think this work may no longer apply – and NOT BECAUSE TRUTHS CHANGE HISTORICALLY OVER TIME OR ANY FAKE-ASS HEGALIAN NOTION OF HISTORICAL RELATIVISM…rather, I think my dear friend seeks an answer to help him understand something else he loves. OD loves his country and I think he has honestly struggled to make sense of the administration’s actions in the present war (which I savage at every turn in these e-pages). Also, with his longstanding interest in international relations OD must have thought about this question hundreds of times. Not only is the following a "just war defense" from a Catholic priest who has studied many of the things OD has studied (only knows them a helluva lot better than him, me and everyone we know), but this source offers a defense of (what I consider to be indefensible) Bush’s doctrine of pre-emptive war. Here’s the interview with Fr. Richard John Neuhaus:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5284809

I respectfully disagree with aspects of Fr. Neuhaus’ interpretation of "just war" – and especially the connection to the dangerous Bush policy, but I think it suits Joe’s needs here. The traditional Catholic view finds (in my opinion) all examples of modern warfare horrific and indefensible. Michael reminded us that he was on a boat in Gulf War ONE that fired the damned C-missiles to soften resistance. Let me say thanks to MK for his service to our country and I admire the brains & courage it took to do what he did. Also, let me remind Michael that he has already called me an "asshole" for what I am about to say…

The modern approach to beginning war with bombing or missile attacks on civilian targets or attacking "military targets" that run the risk of causing collateral damage shows how technology has fundamentally changed the nature of war as the ancient Doctors of the Church understood it. War was fought on determined battlefields between men on both sides who (more often than not) had everything to gain or lose in the venture. The closest thing from the ancient Doctors of the Church to the modern standard operating procedures of warfare would have been siege warfare and OD, you do not want to know what they have to say about that. To the extent that war is now made on hearth and home of people that are in no way connected with the degenerate policies of their sick ruler (and I’m talking about IRACK now, not us…although some might say the argument flows both ways right…the poor bastards that died on watchamacallit, June 26th whatever the new death holiday is in America that gave us that Septembur song by Billy Joel - they didn’t create the policies that led to their horrific deaths) such activities can’t be justified by any traditional Catholic notion of "just war."

Anyway, let me know what you think OD – or anybody else who cares about such stuff. I’m trying to be open minded here, especially in light of my last few posts that may have riled my dear friends OD and olekobe. Let me say I respect the reserve and cool demeanor both exhibited in their responses. When men and women (who may be) on very different sides of these questions can have serious and civil intercourse on such matters, it makes me think that the American conversation hasn’t completely degenerated into the American hissy-fucking-fit.

Good job men.

One last note to Sultan o’ Swaff, and I am going to try to handle this with the same civility that my friends olekobe and OD did in the scenario above. So’S said:

"Sorry Ed, that makes no sense. Leave it to the RCC to cite the Nuremburg defense, they've definitely needed it over the centuries. I'd like to think a soldier dying in a rebellion against a leader in unjust war has a better shot at heaven than a compliant soldier who kills for said leader and gets religious absolution because he was following orders. "

It’s not that simple. Will I admit that there are historical examples where the RCC as an institution has aided in (or stood aside and done nothing to prevent) atrocities? Regretfully (which is in no way a strong enough word) the answer is yes. But you go too far in suggesting the teaching I was referring to was something – ANYTHING like the "Nuremburg defense" or that the Church has used it to defend herself against historical charges (in the distant or recent past) of being part of a national or international crime. You may like to think that the soldier dying in rebellion against an unjust leader has a better chance of going to heaven than the soldier who takes orders in the unjust war (part of me would like to think so too) – but us thinking that "doesn’t make it fucking so" (to quote Mr. Whatever in Reservoir Dogs). The teaching I was referring to from St. Paul enjoins Christians to law abidingness. Respecting law even respecting bad governments – I think is St. Paul’s intent rather than turning Christianity into a political yardstick judging entrance into heaven and hell on the grounds you suggest. There are two good reasons for us to think that St. Paul would do this IN HIS LETTER TO THE FUCKING ROMANS:

The Practical Reason: The Christian "cultists" (language of ancient Roman historians) in Rome during Paul’s time were viewed as revolutionaries who would bring down the regime. Ironically enough, Christian principles undermining the old Roman/Greek manly virtues did help on this score but only once their leaders embraced the principles. But St. Paul wants people to know, or tries to do a PR job that we Christians are not revolutionaries, we will not burn Rome (we’ll just take the blame).

The Theoretical Reason: St. Paul understands, better than you and I do, and better than bad religious leaders in the intervening years Catholic, Protestant and otherwise who do need something like a "Nuremburg defnese," that religion can be misused in the name of assuring fanatical soldiers to bring about political change in this life. It is why St. Paul in his wisdom (and presumably through God’s grace), helps us see a separation between the government of this world and the laws of God or natural law. In the epistle I mentioned, Christians are called to forbearance rather that to revolt against bad government. This is not meant to get anybody off the hook, rather to remind us (in the theoretical or theological sense) the ways of man are not the ways of God. Further, even the wicked mistakenly do God's will and can serve the natural law.

Harmonizing the relationship between entrance to heaven (which by the way I do not see as the ultimate goal of Catholics) and the political structures of this world the way you suggest is similar to the argument that every suicide bomber embraces and every duplicitous sender-outer-of-suicide-bombers employs. Maybe you want to make the case that ultimately all religious rationale tends towards the arguments of the izzzlambists but I do not accept that for the reasons I listed. And, the reasons do make sense. I am only irrational in my belief that eating flesh and drinking blood have something to do with eternal life. When it comes to following long complicated arguments, that’s what I do.

Sultan o’ Swaff knows how to push my buttons on these things. That’s why I am honored that he comes here to talk, and I say that not because I want to make part of my follow up record to breather in the studio he and the PDawg built.

Back to grading papers. Y’all gave me a lot of shit to think about.

Hugs and Kisses!

30 Comments:

Blogger olddogdk said...

I'm reading this at the library, where I have no speakers on the computer to listen to the good Padre talk, but I appreciate your comments on it. I'll listen when I get home. In the meantime, I'll dwell on your mention of us engaging in "intercourse" without regard context.

10:06 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Remember, you're in the library!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Chris B. said...

Thou shalt not kill. It's pretty simple. Not sure why that gets so complicated since it seems to be a timeless notion. Eh, what do I know?

10:34 AM  
Blogger edP said...

ChrisB is so sexy when he breaks it down.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Michael K said...

If man's law and god's law are separate, why is it that I was taught "as it is in heaven, so shall it be on earth."? Do you mean that perhaps there are 3 sets of laws; man's, god's, and the church's?

10:37 AM  
Blogger edP said...

No - "on earth as it is in heaven" is a petition part of that prayer...the hope that His ways are our ways...

How's that working out for us petitioners (like me etc)?

Not so much. But we can petition or ask, or hope or some crap.

off to hhe gang

Have a great Friday

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm clueless but couldn't one say your grandfather and my great-grandparents were able to settle in this great country, in large part thanks to our country wiping out the Indians 100 years earlier? That ain't just.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Sultan of Swaff said...

I'd like to think the natural (or God's) law supercedes all others, especially when one is fully concious that their actions empower and unjust regime. It just seems like a huge detour on the path to enlightenment. If the ways of man are not the ways of God and you're workin' for the Man, then I don't see how you get a free pass in this world or the next. Again, only where one is fully concious. It's the golden rule. I would like to think my fellow human on the other side of the fence would rebel instead of shooting me, but they have ways of making you fight. I'm not trying to put the RCC on the hook over the Nuremburg defense, but rather define what role an individual has in these circumstances, which to me is at the heart of what those trials meant to humanity.........and Joe Crede is awesome. What a catch.

11:34 AM  
Blogger P-Dizzle said...

Good job, edP. Your future status in heaven is not for any of us to decide, but your future status in the Soul Coffin is definitely a "go."

One key point you mention, which is germane to Swaffagette City's complaint, is the idea that even the wicked can do God's work. That's a hard notion to swallow, morally--it is commonly misinterpreted to say God wills evil things to happen--but it's crucial to understanding the larger point that God's ways are not always Man's ways.

You're right to quote Paul, whose message was undoubtedly "radical," and whose own survival--not to mention that of the faith--depended on his making that distinction clear the emperor's minions.

Divi filius in those days would have been thought to refer to Augustus Caesar, not some mysterious charismatic Jewish peasant who had the audacity to call us all equal in God's eyes. So Paul had to tread lightly.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Moderator said...

I'm neither particularly religious nor a historian, but I wrestle with the idea of a "just war" whenever I read the paper. I'm rather peaceable. Within the last few months I've read a number of books on the Holocaust. And I cannot stop thinking about Switzerland's "neutrality" at the time. How can anyone truly remain neutral when they know their neighbor is killing 6 million Jews? When does neutrality become an excuse for ignoring genocide? I'm not comparing the Iraq war with WWII, but it makes me wonder about the term "just war." I do not prentend to have any answers to these questions and I haven't studied enough Swiss history to know the full story, but it's something that I find troubling. And your blog made me think of it again. Thanks. By the way, I couldn't listen to the NPR link either.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The traditional Catholic view finds (in my opinion) all examples of modern warfare horrific and indefensible."

If the Catholic view is ALL war is indefensible, then Catholics must be suicidal. Isn't warfare to protect the survival of your own religion a good enough reason? What if it gets to that point someday? Arrgh!

4:16 PM  
Blogger edP said...

olekobe you said:

"If the Catholic view is ALL war is indefensible, then Catholics must be suicidal."

I did not say this, I said in the traditional view modern warfare which begins with attacks on hearth and home would be considered indefensible. Don't worry, there are newer Catholic thinkers that have adapted the Church's thinking on this score...that's why I offered OD (and everyone) the interview with Fr. N. I do not know if I accept all of these modern accomodations, just like I am not sure if I can accept a notion of teaching Christianity/Catholicism that makes it ammenable to the right of revolution which is what the Sultan of S was talking about.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can go along with that. I hate war, but I've grown pretty attached to my head too.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Michael K said...

I am inclined to believe that no modern war can truly be just. Too many "peripheral casualties" mean that we are willing to sacrifice innocent lives associated with our enemies' countries in order to avoid fighting a "just war" in which we would meet on a field of combat and have it out. We have chosen to save our own asses in lieu of what is right. I think it is cowardly and that is why I hated my role in the first Gulf War. I sat on a boat and all the bad stuff happened far away. We had a few inbound missiles but our kung-fu took care of that threat pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, it was no walk in the park for sailors and I am proud to have served but there is a lot of baggage that comes with it.

6:44 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Christian just war contends that killing is, in a general sense, morally unacceptable (this might not be good enough for ChrisB who wants the plain meaning of the OT invoked here). The Christian theory of just war attempts to define conditions and situations in which the killing of others becomes a moral obligation. A just war, therefore, is defined (in large part) by means, principles and virtues – so even in the traditional Augustinian sense olekobe, there is the defense that you seek. But from what I have called the traditional Catholic view, the main concerns of just war theory are the protection of innocents (non-combatants), the creation of rules which can minimize deaths, and the waging of wars within defined rules. See, and modern warfare, especially as we practice it here – and export it to IRACK begins with softening the country’s resolve. Translation: bombing civilians. The distinction between modern and traditional warfare is important.
I’ll let Fr. N speak to (what I still contend to be the misguided doctrine of preemption) but you might want to ask me:

“Well ed Mr. Smarty Pants, we are stuck with the methods of modern warfare, we can’t go back to horses and lances and phalanxes and honor we have modern techno-democratic war, would you say it is unjustified in all circumstances?”

I would respond: “Good question.”

Let’s say the survival or the slaughter of innocents could hang in the balance if the unstable Kim Jong License to ILL develops further techniques for bringing the bomb he already has to targets further away. I think I would be forced to admit, or not condemn the leader who takes action and bombs the military installation (if your evidence is good and not the worthless lies or shit or worse we got in the RUSH UP TO WAR WITH IRACKKKK) if Kim Jong is planning to bomb away on Russian, Japanese, Australian, Hawaiian or God forbid – SAN FRANCISCO! My sister, her husband and beautiful child are near there. Our friend Tom is out there and he barely survived his attack by MP3bots. He don’t deserve ta git nuked!

In the case above you would get no argument with me if a leader like g bushy even took the actions that the actually g bushy took in IRoc and bombed the real nuclear power.

But why take a hypothetical example? I believe that the recent Afghan War was justified. Maybe it could’ve even been justified by the older standards. Civilian casualties were kept to a minimum, or maybe it’s just circumstances. There were fewer dense clusters of people in Afghan cities/targets than there are in IRACCC. Furthermore, the Taliban represented a threat to our country (and others) to the extent that they would offer support and succor to criminals who brought fire from the sky.

Again, I am no expert in these things, I just wanted to help my friend the Old Dog who asked so here I am.
A few last points to olekobe since he’s asking now. I don’t see the religion in any greater threat from attack by physical enemies than it was at its point of departure…from the time of Christ’s death to the conversion of Constantine (322 or some shit like that). Was Saddman going to wipe Christianity from the face of the earth? What was he going to use, that dopey blunderbuss he’d fire up in the air to celebrate the Iraqi version of the 4th of July…what was it there? His birthday?

Ironically enough, when the religion was in the greatest trouble, the thing that threatened it the most (the Roman friggin’ empire) turned out to be the thing that brought Christianity to the West. Yes, I know it didn’t do it by playing paddycake Sultan of Swaff. Is that justice? Is that proper? Is that an example that God’s ways aren’t my ways? Is this an example of how the wicked do God’s will? If those Roman soldiers weren’t so fucking good at killing people I might not know about my beloved Rabbi, my Lord and my God. I don’t claim to understand this. More questions than answers in the end of my response to you olekobe, but that’s what makes this the best part (I think). My response to you (and to a lesser extent the Old Dog) is why do you want your faith to defend or explain some of the horrific things men in politics do? I don’t think there is anything in my position that says Catholics must lay down and die in the face of a madman bent on conquering the world. Have you seen one of those lately? I can sort of struggle in my clueless way to justify or offer some justification for the Afghan war. Maybe it makes sense with some of what I understand from Augustine.

I would just be very careful how far I want to stretch my understanding of the faith to justify the responses (military and otherwise) of a modern liberal democratic regime. I certainly do not feel the same need that Fr. Neuhaus does in justifying some of the doctrines and actions of the g bushyyy regime.

7:01 PM  
Blogger edP said...

I've grown attached to my head too.

7:02 PM  
Blogger edP said...

I borrowed some of the just war stuff from the wiki and some from these random notes on Agustine that I have for some weird reason

7:24 PM  
Blogger Michael K said...

I have a few questions as a secular American. Can we have a just war in the absence of God considering the idea (or ideal) of the separation of church and state? How can we justify the elimination of lives on any level without the presence of God? How can we kill without the idea that St. Peter will sort the sinners out from the assholes?

To quote TMBG:

"We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned"

8:14 PM  
Blogger edP said...

I think there are philosophic principles that help us judge war in the absence of appeals to God. I'm not sure if they apply to America. Rather, I think there is some evidence that America doesn't need or rely on these older philosophic principles associated with the teleological phil of Xenophon, Plato and Aristotle.

If we believe America to be a commenwealth founded on modern Hobbesian and Lockean principles (I hope that's not all she is, but it is possible)...then in this sense the international community - in the absence of a real sovereign, an authority that means anything (and we ain't talking any tribunals that meet in The Hague or The DeKalb) then America can pursue international actions on the basis of its perceived interests...security or otherwise.

I'd like to think there are some limits for America on this score...but there do not even have to be for me to criticize the current adventure in ERRRORaq. New Orleans and the level or readiness are troops are currently with respect to I Ran and No.Ko are all the evidence I need. We are less safe, less secure with the fuckery unleashed by Captain Blue Tie and his crowd.

There is an argument from the secular humanist perspective regarding the involability of all people as independent moral agents - but again, for reasons I've gone into at great length in this blog (see everywhere) I'd prefer to look at the classical, teleological perspective.

Actually I think we can get a better discussion of war, the necessities and what it is from Xenophon. The man was soldier, general, statement and student of Socrates. If Xenophon had been in Athens during the trial of Socrates, the Athenian jury wouldn't've killed his teacher.

8:42 PM  
Blogger edP said...

By the way, to my hero Grant Miller, you said:

"When does neutrality become an excuse for ignoring genocide?"

The US State Department has made ignoring genecide something of a science. I don't have too much love for Madeline l'Albrite (we'll always have Paris though baby). I hope nobody here believes that Sadddasss' attacks on the Kurds constitutes the most horrific sort of attack of a leader on his own people that demands an immediate reaction from the international community.

If your position is countries ought to get involved militarily against leaders that engage in genocide and call it just war, I definitely agree with this. There is nothing in my limited understanding of anything that suggests we sit by and allow crimes to be committed in that case.

8:50 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Thucydides can give you some good shit on war and justice too if you want it free of the boogity boogity attached with the teachings of Christ's bride the Church

9:19 PM  
Blogger Michael K said...

I think that you look to theology as a crutch in all of these cases. I am not going to tell you that is wrong. I am not going to call theism wrong. But I am going to call the introduction of God in every military battle... Wrong. Even when I believed, I thought that the idea of killing in the name of anything was against the laws handed to us by Moses. Why has the Church decided that they can make their own rules?

The church looks back to the speech Christ made to the apostles that God would respect the decisions of the church and it shall be in heaven. The Papacy can say whatever it wants (assuming the Pope hears all from God) and it will be followed here and in Heaven.

I am sick of death for God. It is all a disaster. I do not believe and therefor do not believe that all these people are in Heaven. I believe they are all dead. There is nothing for them. Nothing. Our soldiers are not being welcomed by Peter. They are DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!

All our enemies are the same. We are killing human beings with parents and children and wives and fathers. I am sorry to our believers here, but I am sickened by all this. I don't think you have seen a person taken apart. It is really messy.

Let us not get too involved with God when it comes to war as he/she hasn't bothered to get involved except to give absolution for our attrocites.

9:54 PM  
Blogger bigsoda said...

Is the argument here whether any War can be just, or if the current war (or whatever we're involved in since G.W. landed on that carrier deck) is just? It helps me to think about it as if Countries were people. Possibly, we all agree that killing in defense is justified, but premeditated killing (or killing in judgement) is wrong. Our current laws reflects this stance - if someone is trying to kill you and you kill them first, you are justified. If you plan someone's killing, then it's just plain murder.

GWI was, ostensibly at least, in defense of our friend, Kuwait. This war seems to be more of a war of judgement. You don't need to look much farther than http://www.newamericancentury.org to see that invading Iraq was pre-(the current administration)-meditated. GWII was sold to us based on a percieved threat. If the US and Iraq were individuals and this were being tried in an American court, it would be murder.

This is why I'm glad we didn't serve a death sentence to Moussaui. As much as I think he's a flaming asshole, he never actually committed a crime. As far as I can tell, planning a crime is not in and of itself a crime.

Fighting a war in defense of something MIGHT be just. Fighting a war of judgement makes you a criminal.

9:56 PM  
Blogger edP said...

bigSoda - re: the beginning of your argument:

"It helps me to think about it as if Countries were people. Possibly, we all agree that killing in defense is justified, but premeditated killing (or killing in judgement) is wrong."

I think this definitely helps as a response to ChrisB's first statement right? He responded to my long winded discussion with "Thou shalt not kill." We can all recognize that there are some circumstances where we understand a human being acting, maybe even killing another is (al least) more justified than others.

I'll go back and read the rest of what you wrote now, because I think your more important points are there. I just wanted to pull this out because I really didn't respond to Chris' statement.

6:04 AM  
Blogger edP said...

OK bigSoda, we've got to stop having these conversations because I think we are in agreement on paragraphs 1,2 & 4. I would still maintain the caveat that, modern warfare, the way we practice it bombing hearth and home first is a bugaboo from all the traditional just war arguments as I understand them. Something must be wrong when we can agree on so much in principle. I'm sure this will pass. Re: your third paragraph:

"This is why I'm glad we didn't serve a death sentence to Moussaui. As much as I think he's a flaming asshole, he never actually committed a crime. As far as I can tell, planning a crime is not in and of itself a crime."

I thought this was interesting beacuse we have to deal with actions based on whether or not they occurred. I wonder what this argument means with respect to hate crimes (I know this is another topic for another something else). I found it interesting.

Cheers

6:10 AM  
Blogger olddogdk said...

Conspiracy is a crime. If I conspired to rob a bank with a bunch of guys, and then the guys cut me out of it toward the end, I'm still guilty of taking part in the planning of that crime, even if the crime never occurs. In Zach's case, not only did he conspire, but the crime that was planned did occur. Therefore, he is at least a secondary participant in it.

11:16 PM  
Blogger edP said...

...but you also receive different legal status and possibly different sentencing and there is more to this than "the guys cut me out" near the end in ZM's case.

From what I understand I think the government did not make the full conspiracy case that you describe. One of the mitigating factors may have been the mental state of ZM himself. I'd like to think at some point he was cut out of the loop because he was an incompetent boob and eventually got himself arrested - probably for asking some flight instructor: "What's the best way to smash a plane into a building."

He deserves what he got as far as I am in a position to say that.

I wonder why the Blue Tie Mind and his intelligence/security minded administration hasn't (and won't) bring forward any of those conspiritors that had everything to do with the planning and funding of September Whatever?

They claim to have some of them in custidy. While I understand there may be very good security reasons for keeping these guys under wraps, should we really trust the current administration to do the right thing with any information (and with the main AlQ guys I'm not even sure I care how they extract it)?!??!

Where are they? What are they doing? Why not bring people who offered real planning and monetary support to the bloody bastards that did the deed?

Has bushezezezee failed again?

6:41 AM  
Blogger edP said...

By not caring how they extracted it I am not condoning torture, rather suggesting that the fall out over the interregation of the AlQ folks from Afgh should be less than that over the Abooo GrabAss guys - - - and if g bhusy and his gang were really the Law and Order crowd that the claim to be, they'd place these guys before at least tribunals that we could see - just to show the world what you get.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Moderator said...

In response to EDP's response to my response: Yeah, more or less. But Don't pin me down to that.

12:26 PM  
Blogger edP said...

To my hero Grant Miller. No doubt, I wasn't trying to limit the position put forth. The most serious part of my response to you was:

"If your position is countries ought to get involved militarily against leaders that engage in genocide and call it just war, I definitely agree with this. There is nothing in my limited understanding of anything that suggests we sit by and allow crimes to be committed in that case."

This I think is the source of our agreement here and probably the most important thing armies can do.

Nation building on the other hand...not so much.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home