My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Snakes on a Red Sox Plane

I’m glad our secret detainment centers around the world have been “outed.” – not Abu Grabass “outed”! Actually the secret has been out for ever. Remember the non-denial denials when the airplane watchers had notebooks full of landings of the Boston Red Sox private jet in Prague and the Hague and Lugiblanna (I’m Slovenian I should know how to spell it)…I’m sure Theo wasn’t scouting any Jordanian 2nd basemen. Ok, I know that is wrong on so many levels.

Just an aside on the Hague. What makes that fucking joint so special that it deserves a definite article adjective in front of it's name?!?!? Are there other Hagues that ain't so hot but the citizens of THE the Hague want the rest of us to know that their Hague is the Hague?!?!?!? Are there hater Hagues or pretender Hagues?!??! We get it already you live in Hague. The name ain't that great anyway - keep it.

Where did all this hostility against the Hague come from?

Ahem, let's not forget the non-denial denials about rendition etc…the non-mollifying mollification of angry Italian government officials (who now seem very happy to lead an international expedition into Lebanon of all places)…

The only thing I’m pissed about is that I thought my tax dollars were going to keep our secret prisons a secret. What the f? What would f’ing Stamos say?

Probably booom-ditty bip bip on some Wal Mart bongos.

No bD practice tonight. D is sick (sick of listening to me drone on about blah ditty blah-ditty blah). Actually I probably got him sick at the starter castle gig.

Back to g bushy. I know my tone re: the current administration may sound like it is shifting since the 32 day bomb-o-rama between the Israeli regulars and Hezbollah (in my spell check by the way) forces. I don’t think it is any shifting of principles on my part. I’ve always tried to make sense of our seemingly senseless activities in IROck. I’ve said my thing on that…everyone I talked to thought it was a load of horseshit (even my dad, who has always supported the war).

Fine.

I’m interested to see how the g busy speech from yesterday plays out in this tension between the three “separate and distinct departments of government” (actual language from the Fed Papers…this separation of powers comes to us more from the progressives)

No, not Yes.

Hamdan (sp, jeanz, Judge Ito, anybody?) set the wheels in motion – forget the endorsement of the Geneva Convention in the opinion of the court…what’s more important to me were the “instructions” to the Congress to not be a bunch of pansies and draw up legislation authorizing or doing something re: the tribunals.

This is sort of laughworthy (as opposed to Jeff Foxworthy who is rarely laughworthy)…

One branch of the government is telling another ‘C’mon, grow a pair and don’t let the other branch of govt push you around’

The You Tube School House rock clips includes the lesser known Three Ring Circus song, listing some of the powers and make up of the three separate and distinct departments of the American government.

Three ring circus indeed.

I'm thinking about starting a petition to rename DeKalb - the DeKalb.

Who's with me?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: "I’m glad our secret detainment centers around the world have been 'outed.'"

Don't tell anyone, but Jeanz' girls have a "secret detainment center." It's in our basement.

So far I've only heard tell of a few errant insects being held for further questioning. And man, that Moxie... she doesn't follow any of the Geneva Conventions when it comes to them.

If the girls ever get their paws on "Bad Boy Cat" though, it's gonna make Abu Ghraib look like a walk in the park.

Like I said, though, don't tell anyone I mentioned it. I'd hate to get on their bad side. Especially when Beckwith gets out the dental tools and starts asking, "Is it safe?"

9:26 PM  
Blogger Sultan of Swaff said...

Our 'outsourcing' of torture is nothing new (it was on 60 Mintutes a couple years ago), save for the admission from the White House, who's intentionally light years behind (or ahead?) on stuff like this. On some level (probably the same level that decided fudging the intel on Iraq was kosher), there needs to be some acountability for this shit. Once again, it flies in the face of all we are trying to 'save' the world from--lying, ethically vacant leaders (helloooo George Ryan!) who sacrifice the common good to achieve their own personal agendas. Bush knowingly usurped the Geneva Convention when he gave the go ahead for this shit, which is grounds for impeachment in my book. The United States standing in the world is at an all time low, and has been on a steady decline for two decades. This sort of shit legitimizes guys like Bin Laden. It's not enough for the progressives to walk around with an 'I told you so' air of smugness about them, there needs to be some real anger. It's more than an academic exercise. These people are doing damage, both physical and diplomatic, that will take decades to rectify.

7:15 AM  
Blogger norm chompski said...

edP: "Who's with me?"


Already with thee! tender is the night,

And haply the Queen-Moon is on her throne,

Cluster'd around by all her starry Fays

But here there is no light,

Save what from heaven is with the breezes blown

Through verdurous glooms and winding mossy ways

12:27 PM  
Blogger Moderator said...

Let me sign the petition.

I'm afraid our season is about over, edp.

12:50 PM  
Blogger edP said...

20 some games left .5 games back - we gonna be ok somehow Official Grant Miller. If nothing else - I think it's gonna be an exciting two weeks here.

Sultan more from me to you later

Y'all rock

3:24 PM  
Blogger edP said...

First "the intel on Iraq was kosher" - I liked that.

Sultan do you or any reader of this blog honestly believe that the g bushy crowd invented extrodinary rendition or that this was the first and/or only administration to authorize secret overseas detainment programs?????

Re: "outsourcing torture" - I'm not going to dive in to a debate over the meaning of the word torture...I think you and I are reasonable enough to agree what constitutes torture...I'm not sure we have a direct connection between what the current admin officially announced and outsourcing torture....


This is not to say that nobody has been tortured by us or our agents...but I don't think that is what this is about

It would go too far to say I'm proud of the bushy speech...but I found it strangely comforting

Not that 'We're taking it to the terrorists' or any of that

But rather, this guy who is not up for reelection...who has snookered the electorate into thinking he's a decisive actor...

This man surrounded by some fiends has decided to announce what heretofore may have been unannouncable (sorry about that "word")

and he did so to try and respond to another branch of the government's strong urgings - - to remember what he is, what we are...

This isn't saying that G bushy has "found religion" on these things...I just don't feel some hidden hand is crushing our country...our rights...

I had a conversation with a reasonable man last week re: searches on planes and this person said "This isn't a free country anymore ed"

I said, "Are you sure there isn't a difference between our basic liberties and bringing gels on airplanes?"

Sure, people are angry and scared - I'm angry and scared...

But I'm going to note when things are less fucked up than they have to be...

and that's what I think I did.

Official GM...are you watching the game?

7:43 PM  
Blogger edP said...

GM, did you see AJ's dinger?

Not that you sick bastards!

Poor baaaaad Bobby Jenks. I hope his hip is ok. I would have to explain to the boy that his favorite pitcher is out for this run at the playoffs.

This time of the year sure ain't for the faint of heart...but boy do I love it!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Lady Di )O( said...

Personally I am all for adding "the" to just about anything. I will sign the Ed's petition.

7:37 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Again, re: "the" - remember when Batman was just Batman...then one day he becane The Batman.

What's up with this junk?!?!

5:29 AM  
Blogger Michael K said...

I always thought the Hague was less a reference to the actual city and more a reference to the seat of government. Much like calling DC THE capitol. However, Den Haag is not the capitol of the Netherlands. Just my take. Those crazy Dutchmen.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home