Federalism Sucks
Sorry Andy Barker.
But in the process of doing our taxes, Kim to her horror…
Sorry The Horrors (not to be confused with the Horror the Horror…sorry Lady Di)
Kim found that the Federal government taxed us on our State of Illinois refund from 2005.
Federalism is supposed to rely on shared responsibility between different governing bodies. We didn’t even get a shared ass-screwing on this deal. I guess if Federalism was in full effect (as the kids say) the State of Illinois would’ve retaliated and taxed us on our refund from the Federal govt from ’05.
Oh well, maybe the State of Illinois will get with it next year and join in the screwing of edP and his little crew.
Why am I making this about me? Kim did our taxes last year. She worked so hard to get us that big Federal refund (not to mention working so hard to earn all that money we were taxed on and trying to get it back)…Technically, she’s the one who got royally hosed.
Now I don’t feel so bad.
- - -- --- - - - - - ---- -- - - ---- -- -- -- - - - - --- - - - - - - -- -- - - -
…by the way, if you are a friend of mine and you are thinking of asking me to get involved with directly supporting a candidate in a presidential primary – please bear in mind that you run the risk of getting a response like this:
“Thanks for thinking of me re: the John Edwards e-mails. The two candidates that have my attention at this point are the Junior Senator from
Good luck to you, your family and your candidate,
edP”
edP, Half-Assed American:
“Ask not what your country can do for you, but instead ask what has your country done for you lately?”


5 Comments:
Twice I let someone else prepare my tax returns. Even though you can take a deduction for the money that you paid someone else to prepare your return (the previous year, that is), I refuse to pay someone else, because I think that ANYBODY OUGHT TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT FOR THEMSELVES! If we can't, it's for sure that we are being kept out in the cold and bent over for our government.
Regarding being taxed on last year's state refund; you're really being taxed TWICE on that income. That refund was determined to be tax that you paid in excess of your taxable income, according to both the Fed and State. They called it "income" in the year that you originally earned it, and then call "income" again in the year that you received it BACK AFTER THEY TOOK IT FROM YOU AND USED AND DIDN'T PAY YOU ANY INTEREST ON IT! They have the balls to tell you that you received that money twice, so they're gonna tax you on it twice!
Don't even get me started on Blago and his dream tax.
I always do my own taxes, by hand, as a point of pride. I agree with OD that it is important to keep tabs on such things. Also, I'm not wealthy enough to have complicated taxes.
I'm a little confused about this business of being taxed on a state refund. I always get a postcard from the state showing what my refund was, and there's a line - right on the front page of the fed 1040, I think - where that number gets deducted from the gross income. Do y'all not get those postcards? Or are you talking about something else?
Oops - I just realized I had it backwards. OD's explanation is right. Maybe I cannot trust myself to do my own taxes after all.
You get refunds?
Usually I vote for the lesser of two evils or the devil I know. I feel that this election is actually shaping up nicely. For the first time since Reagan will I actually have 2 quality candidates. Or at least I hope so. The Dems could step on there dicks and put Kilton as there horse.
Some one needs to unfuck a lot of shit and we need that person to step up. The country is going on 16 years of total ass clown running things. We need a doer not another end of the pendulum knee jerk reaction person.
Post a Comment
<< Home