The Holy Spirit Sometimes Says
- C’mon ed. Don’t be such an asshole
I think I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit in the way some of books of the Old Testament describe it (there is, of course some debate as to whether or in what sense that spirit is the Spirit that my church recognizes but I am not trying to engage in a theological discussion or spew any hate or more ignorance than usual here)…
It is the gentle wind, the breath of God, not the fire that seems to come down in the NT.
I have never seen nor experienced the Holy Spirit in that sense and quiet frankly I don’t want to.
I think the Holy Spirit experienced thus is like when John from Cincinnati made that girl’s nipple piercings feel like they were in a blast furnace.
The dorky will remember she responded “If that is what seeing God is like then I don’t want to.”
So I think I’ve felt the gentle wind Holy Spirit not the nipple piercing on fire one.
But in the other rare occurrences in my life when I had some sort of inclination that the Spirit was communicating with me it was like…
“ed, don’t be an asshole. We know you can’t help it most of the time but there is no excuse here. If you don’t do this at this moment you will regret it. You need to live up to the thing that you are.”
Listening to that voice or being ready to hear it is part of being a new creature.
I will be the first to admit that me as a new creature is a lot like my dopey old creature most of the time.
I like writing blog posts like this because it is an honest reminder to readers here, especially those who think Catholicism is a bunch of bullshit that, sometimes, my faith does not sound reasonable.
This doesn’t mean I’m going to go all Carl Everett and say that the dinosaurs never existed.
I want my friends and random douches who stumble across the blog to see this side of me. It is not an act. It is not something I want. It is not something I embrace other than saying – IF I WANT TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST ABOUT WHO I AM, I FEEL THESE THINGS MOVING IN ME OR MOVING ME IN A DIRECTION AND I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO CONSIDER MYSELF A SUCCESS OR FAILURE IN LIGHT OF THE WAY I RESPOND
So earlier tonight I have set in motion a chain of events that, when added up, could come to make me look very foolish, very full of myself and small all at the same time.
I’ll write more about this in a few days when more details are present.
I do not want to be a bad example for my faith or seem like a rambling boob.
But that seems to be exactly where I am right now.
Great.
On the plus side, the bigDrag boys and Mr. J had a great meat/Bears night at ChrisB’s Monday. Let’s just say we did not compose our next great hit at practice.
Truth be told, we are usually very diligent, we do not waste time, we have never (not even as the Ambersons when we were all at least chronic alcoholics and substance abusers) called practice because of drunkenness or substance abusery.
We deserved one night to watch the re-Superbowl, eat meat & drink beer with our friend before he went back to DC.
I think I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit in the way some of books of the Old Testament describe it (there is, of course some debate as to whether or in what sense that spirit is the Spirit that my church recognizes but I am not trying to engage in a theological discussion or spew any hate or more ignorance than usual here)…
It is the gentle wind, the breath of God, not the fire that seems to come down in the NT.
I have never seen nor experienced the Holy Spirit in that sense and quiet frankly I don’t want to.
I think the Holy Spirit experienced thus is like when John from Cincinnati made that girl’s nipple piercings feel like they were in a blast furnace.
The dorky will remember she responded “If that is what seeing God is like then I don’t want to.”
So I think I’ve felt the gentle wind Holy Spirit not the nipple piercing on fire one.
But in the other rare occurrences in my life when I had some sort of inclination that the Spirit was communicating with me it was like…
“ed, don’t be an asshole. We know you can’t help it most of the time but there is no excuse here. If you don’t do this at this moment you will regret it. You need to live up to the thing that you are.”
Listening to that voice or being ready to hear it is part of being a new creature.
I will be the first to admit that me as a new creature is a lot like my dopey old creature most of the time.
I like writing blog posts like this because it is an honest reminder to readers here, especially those who think Catholicism is a bunch of bullshit that, sometimes, my faith does not sound reasonable.
This doesn’t mean I’m going to go all Carl Everett and say that the dinosaurs never existed.
I want my friends and random douches who stumble across the blog to see this side of me. It is not an act. It is not something I want. It is not something I embrace other than saying – IF I WANT TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST ABOUT WHO I AM, I FEEL THESE THINGS MOVING IN ME OR MOVING ME IN A DIRECTION AND I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO CONSIDER MYSELF A SUCCESS OR FAILURE IN LIGHT OF THE WAY I RESPOND
So earlier tonight I have set in motion a chain of events that, when added up, could come to make me look very foolish, very full of myself and small all at the same time.
I’ll write more about this in a few days when more details are present.
I do not want to be a bad example for my faith or seem like a rambling boob.
But that seems to be exactly where I am right now.
Great.
On the plus side, the bigDrag boys and Mr. J had a great meat/Bears night at ChrisB’s Monday. Let’s just say we did not compose our next great hit at practice.
Truth be told, we are usually very diligent, we do not waste time, we have never (not even as the Ambersons when we were all at least chronic alcoholics and substance abusers) called practice because of drunkenness or substance abusery.
We deserved one night to watch the re-Superbowl, eat meat & drink beer with our friend before he went back to DC.


1 Comments:
Even the Holy Spirit couldn't save us at the Corner Cue, though. Although my penance for that show was having to drive by it every day for five years to go to work.
Post a Comment
<< Home