King Tut
The other night I was singing the Steve Martin song, King Tut to myself. The boy asked “What song is that daddy?”
Me: “King Tut.”
Alex: “Can we see it on You Tube?”
Me: “Maybe tomorrow or the next day kid.”
I was not going to forget. Those who know me know that I memorized most of the Steve Martin records when I was a kid. I should want better for my precious son but tonight, right before teeth, prayers and bed we found King Tut on the You Tubes.
Alex was into the 70’s novelty hit, but more as a curiosity.
Or, to be precise he had many questions about the song’s lyrics.
NOW WHEN I WAS A YOUNG MAN I NEVER THOUGHT I’D SEE
PEOPLE STAND IN LINE TO SEE THE BOY KING
KING TUT…
Alex: “King Tut was just a boy and he was king of the pyramid place?”
Me: “Yes.”
Alex: “When they dug up King Tut, was anybody sad because he was a dead boy?”
Me: “I think the British found him. They play it pretty close to the vest.”
…HOW’D YOU GET SO FUNKY?
FUNKY TUT
DID YOU DO THE MONKEY?
Alex: “Did people really dance like that back then?”
Me: “The monkey was more a part of the ‘60’s I think.”
BORN IN ARIZONA, MOVED TO BABALONYA
KING TUT
Alex: “I think we flew over Arizona once.”
Me: “I think you’re right.”
NOW IF I’D KNOWN THEY’D LINE UP JUST TO SEE HIM
I’D TAKE ALL MY MONEY AND BOUGHT ME A MUSEUM
KING TUT
BURIED WITH A DONKEY
Alex: “They buried a live donkey with King Tut?!!”
Me: “I don’t think the donkey was alive, I’m not sure.”
Alex: “They killed a donkey just so the dead boy could have one?!!”
Me: “I’m not sure.”
….DANCIN’ BY THE NILE
disco tut
THE LADIES LOVED HIS STYLE
ROCKIN FOR A MILE
rockin’ tut
HE ATE A CROCODILE
Alex: “Crocodile? Yuck.”
Me: “Tell me about it.”
NOW WHEN I DIE, NOW DON’T THINK I’M A NUT
DON’T WANT NO FANCY FUNERAL JUST ONE LIKE OLD KING TUT
KING TUT
HE COULD’VE WON A GRAMMY
Alex: “What’s a Grammy?”
Me: “It was an ancient award that now means nothing.”
BURIED IN HIS ‘JAMMIES
Alex: “Was he really buried in his pajamas?”
Me: “Yeah. They didn’t hold up so well. The Egyptians excelled in math, astronomy and architecture but their knowledge of the fabric sciences was limited at best.”
BORN IN ARIZONA, MOVED TO BABALONYA
BORN IN ARIZONA, GOT A CONDO MADE OF STONE-A
Alex: “Is that the condo Grandma Marge is selling?”
Me: “Uh, no.”
When the song was over we just sort of sat there. Then Alex said…
- “Dad, what was the point of that song?”
Me: “King Tut, he gave his life for tourism. Don’t give your life for tourism.”
Alex: “Ok.”
Me: “King Tut.”
Alex: “Can we see it on You Tube?”
Me: “Maybe tomorrow or the next day kid.”
I was not going to forget. Those who know me know that I memorized most of the Steve Martin records when I was a kid. I should want better for my precious son but tonight, right before teeth, prayers and bed we found King Tut on the You Tubes.
Alex was into the 70’s novelty hit, but more as a curiosity.
Or, to be precise he had many questions about the song’s lyrics.
NOW WHEN I WAS A YOUNG MAN I NEVER THOUGHT I’D SEE
PEOPLE STAND IN LINE TO SEE THE BOY KING
KING TUT…
Alex: “King Tut was just a boy and he was king of the pyramid place?”
Me: “Yes.”
Alex: “When they dug up King Tut, was anybody sad because he was a dead boy?”
Me: “I think the British found him. They play it pretty close to the vest.”
…HOW’D YOU GET SO FUNKY?
FUNKY TUT
DID YOU DO THE MONKEY?
Alex: “Did people really dance like that back then?”
Me: “The monkey was more a part of the ‘60’s I think.”
BORN IN ARIZONA, MOVED TO BABALONYA
KING TUT
Alex: “I think we flew over Arizona once.”
Me: “I think you’re right.”
NOW IF I’D KNOWN THEY’D LINE UP JUST TO SEE HIM
I’D TAKE ALL MY MONEY AND BOUGHT ME A MUSEUM
KING TUT
BURIED WITH A DONKEY
Alex: “They buried a live donkey with King Tut?!!”
Me: “I don’t think the donkey was alive, I’m not sure.”
Alex: “They killed a donkey just so the dead boy could have one?!!”
Me: “I’m not sure.”
….DANCIN’ BY THE NILE
disco tut
THE LADIES LOVED HIS STYLE
ROCKIN FOR A MILE
rockin’ tut
HE ATE A CROCODILE
Alex: “Crocodile? Yuck.”
Me: “Tell me about it.”
NOW WHEN I DIE, NOW DON’T THINK I’M A NUT
DON’T WANT NO FANCY FUNERAL JUST ONE LIKE OLD KING TUT
KING TUT
HE COULD’VE WON A GRAMMY
Alex: “What’s a Grammy?”
Me: “It was an ancient award that now means nothing.”
BURIED IN HIS ‘JAMMIES
Alex: “Was he really buried in his pajamas?”
Me: “Yeah. They didn’t hold up so well. The Egyptians excelled in math, astronomy and architecture but their knowledge of the fabric sciences was limited at best.”
BORN IN ARIZONA, MOVED TO BABALONYA
BORN IN ARIZONA, GOT A CONDO MADE OF STONE-A
Alex: “Is that the condo Grandma Marge is selling?”
Me: “Uh, no.”
When the song was over we just sort of sat there. Then Alex said…
- “Dad, what was the point of that song?”
Me: “King Tut, he gave his life for tourism. Don’t give your life for tourism.”
Alex: “Ok.”


6 Comments:
Big Steve Martin fan. Particularly remember how he handled hecklers.
What about Egyptian cotton? Isn't that better than regular cotton? More cottony?
What a coincidence, just last night T and I were discussing King Nebuchadnasar.
Yeah, I rember when I had my first beer
I love Steve Martin.
You and your boy are Calvin an Hobbes and his dad.
Frickin funny!
Post a Comment
<< Home