My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Someone Bridle My Optimism

Thank you God for the gift of Fr. Hart. Wonderful reminder with Luke’s Gospel to day re: Lazarus (not the raised from the dead Lazarus, although this Lazarus ends up dead in the story this is poor, riddled with sores Lazarus) – oh, the reminder…wonderful reminder with this PARABLE Christ tells how we Catholics read the Bible fundamentally different from our fundamentalist friends. Dinner and drinks with Father Abraham vs. fire and torture for the unrepentant is an image Jesus employs in the story. It is an easy image for the simple to see something difficult – the poor are the greatest in the kingdom of God while the rich have already been great in man’s kingdom.

Not to judge the fundamentalists and their literal interpretation of the Bible, I agree with those who argue that there can be a plain reading of the Bible but there is a difference between a plain reading and an absolute literal one.

For some strange reason I am looking forward to the Bears game today. I was not a Rex hater, but it is time for him to go and I am curious about the Greasy. If he leads the Bears to a 7 game winning streak, gets injured, Kyle Orton comes in and wins a game or two and Greasy comes back to lead the Bears to a superbowl victory…does that make Kyle Orton Earl Morrall?

Sorry.

Happy that the SOX have resigned AJ. You want to talk about franchise frustration – the Bears have been looking for quarterbacks for years, but think how long Chicago’s beloved WhiteSOX have searched for a catcher of Pierzinski’s quality?!?!?

Sorry.

The Bears next two games can save the season whether they win it all or not. What do I mean? If they beat the Lions this week, the season is still interesting. Then the biggest game is next week against the Pack. I’d be happy if the Bears make it to 2-2 and expose the Packers next Sunday. We’ll see if it happens.

I am also happy that Lance Briggs (I know many of you hate him, but he is playing fucking GREAT this year) might play and Tommie Harris might even play. I’m not sure what sort of ligament damage he has. This all sounds strange to me – but why be glum until I see the Bears play the Lions today?

I have unbridled optimism because some fun and exciting stuff is happening for me and my friends after the Bears game today. Yay!

For those who already know I like a lot of weird, stupid shit in music let me present exhibit 9,857. This band has a song called Yard Sale that I can’t get out of my head – here they are doing a different song on Conan.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like the Brothers Four...minus one! Cool stuff.

3:24 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Thanks baby. If you want to hear Yard Sale, it's on npr.org Song of the day from a few days ago

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bears fucking suck. Worse 4th quarter melt down in NFL history. HISTORY!

I would rather have some one kick me in the balls repeatedly than watch another fucking Bears game...

Go Cubs..

7:09 AM  
Blogger Chris B. said...

Jamar Williams looked pretty good for three quarters (for a LOT less money). Not sure that Briggs would have made a significant difference. If there's a silver lining, it's Brandon McGowan at safety. He's probably why Chris Harris got released. Now all we need is to bench the useless receivers and replace the entire o-line.

Yeah, we got Dish Network last year only so that I could watch the Bears without having to leave the house. Now I feel like I have to leave the house when they're playing. (Don't want to break anything.)

8:04 AM  
Blogger Michael K said...

Griese, Rusty. There's your headline.

11:38 AM  
Blogger P-Dizzle said...

It was very thoughtful of you to both provide a link to Earl Morral and to apologize for the reference.

Are you saying our fundamentalist friends are the Pharisees of today, is this the distinction? or that their version of the gospel minimizes helping the poor?

ya cryptic bastard ya

1:13 PM  
Blogger Moderator said...

There Bears have to start Grossman now.

1:55 PM  
Blogger edP said...

PDawg - the fundamentalists want to take this story as the absolute truth about heaven & hell...

Fr. Hart was telling us that the image of heaven & hell in the story is not nearly as important as what Christ was saying about who we need to listen to, and the message we need to hear

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home