My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Opting Out

…of public financing, not NAFTA.

I am going to take my time with this because I need to mull it over. I plan on doing this mulling in public. If anyone thinks I am going too slow with this…I don’t give a shit.

The presumptive Democratic nominee announced that he would not take public financing but instead he would continue to raise private funds.

Forget where the private funds are coming from for the Senator…

He pledged last November and as late as Feb of this year Sen.O re-affirmed that pledge to take public financing if he became the nominee.

He has become the nominee and has opted out of public financing so he can take private money.

This is not flip flopping. This is saying one thing in theory and doing the opposite in practice. What does this mean?

One thing is for sure, if you can say no to $85 mildo you gotta be doing something right.

Feel free to begin to answer my question. More from me coming soon…

Yesterday’s SOX/Cubs game was fun. It looked like a beautiful day to be at the old ballgame. I knew Jose was in big trouble when the Cubs began attacking him early in the count. Someone told me that Len and Bob called that sometime around Edmunds homer in the bottom of the 4th. Good call by them, bad turn of events for the SOX.

Before yesterday I thought the Cubs lineup was the best in baseball, I am not sure I am qualified to say that without definitively…what I can say is they are smart. I see Jose Contreras pitch once a week and they figured him out in 3 innings. Jose was not having a bad game, the Cubs outfoxed him, they sniffed him out and exploited his few weaknesses to the tune of nine runs or something like that.

D’oh.

I can’t remember any time in my life when the Cubs were better than the SOX two years in a row. They have been good in spurts…

NOT THAT YOU SICK BASTARDS

But never have been consistently better than the SOX for an extended time period (2007 and so far in 2008)

Even 2003, things fell their way and fell apart just as quickly. That team may have been better on the field in the 2nd half of 2003 than the SOX, and better on paper in 2004…but the Cubs could not sustain their superiority to the team I love.

Last year the Cubs established themselves as better than the SOX who were reeling for a variety or reasons in 07…and sadly, for me, they are that much better overall than my beloved SOX this year.

Here’s hoping Javier shuts down the mighty Cubs (that is so hard for me to say) lineup. Let’s hope the SOX players do not stoop to the level of their GM who threw out some low-rent bullshit late last week.

I don’t know who is pitching for the Cubs tonight but, like yesterday, the SOX gotta get to them early…especially if it is Dempster. I’d look on the intenet but I don’t want to see Demptser’s face. He has made a great turnaround this year, but he’s one ugly dork.

Just like me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup it was Dempster and his ugly ass did pretty damn good.

Not to rub it in or anything. But I am real close to winning 250 bucks. All the Cubs gots to do is win one in da Cell.

Silly SOX fans, my buds only response was " I would still rater have a ring than 250 bucks." My response was " well now you got neither, unless they started passing those things out to fans."

Bam!

5:29 AM  
Blogger olddogdk said...

About the money - who the f cares? I tried for a few minutes to ponder what it means and I think it only means that he changed his mind when he thought he can get more than the public funds. It also means that he is counting on his supporters to not care about his reversal. So far, I don't see that they do. Why should they? If they do care, they're not going to support McCain because of it. As far as what it says about campaign finance; nobody understands that issue well enough to make sense of his action as it relates to it. For his die-hard supporters, funding his campaign can be like one of those carnival games where you squirt the water into the clown's mouth: keep throwing ten bucks at him online until you win!

10:31 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Very pragmatic argument Old Dog. I wonder though, the reason some say they are supporting the Senator from Illinois is that he brings new, fresh ideas to Washington...but does this mean that when the rubber hits the road he is as calculating as they come?

By the way, I am no fan of campaign finance reform...I think free market system if people can get the money, let them get it. Nothing's cheap in America eh

More later

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home