My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Smell the Baseball

The big brain computers at Baseball Prospectus picked my beloved White Sox to win a measly 74 games and finish dead lat in the AL Central. I’m gonna laugh my ass off when they finish 4th.

The mighty Cubs are slated to win pert’near 100 games and run away ’n hide in the NL Central.

The SOX are younger and have more questions marks that they have since the Kids Can Play days near the end of Ron Schuler’s time on the South Side. And its not just the young, completely unproven guys. Coach Dennis and I were talking about Brian Anderson and I confessed that part of me thinks BA will hit this year. Dennis said, “Are you really going to drink the Kool Aid on that guy?”

Par of me thinks the stars could be lining up for this guy like they did for Joe Crede (pre-back-crappin’ out Joe Crede). They kept Crede playing 3rd (typically a position where a good deal of offense is expected, see A-Ram) because his defense was outstanding. 2005 (not everything) but most of it came together for Joe at the plate. He seemed to do so much right in big games and for decent stretches of that season. This is not to say BA is going to help lead a charge to a White Sox WS. But I think a SOX fan can hope for certain players who have been around the organization for awhile to figure it out. This club has a path for the development of solid team players who lead to winning or being part of a winning formula.

That’s not drinking Kool Aid, that’s a track record.

Having said that, should the mighty Cubs make the playoffs for a third straight year that is an outstanding accomplishment (esp for a baseball team in Chicago). A case can be made that three straight years to the playoffs makes the Cubs a better franchise than the team I love.

It is worth noting.

I will enjoy seeing what Josh Fields does, Clayton Richards - will he be the 5th starter?…Can Q come back all the way from his wrist injury right away or will it take time? D-Lee still is not the same kind of hitter he was before Furcal f’d up his wrist.

Like last year, my expectations for the SOX as a whole are relatively low while I think there are some players who have a real chance to show something. As far as team success, I don’t think anything will match the excitement and enthusiasm put on display by SOX faithful during Games 162, 163 and Mr. Danks victory over the Devil Rays in Game 3 of the ALDS.

Who knows where the surprises will end for the SOX? If President Obama looks good throwing out the first pitch, he could be that 5th starter the SOX need? He can even commit some of that Federal bailout money to bailing out mullets from Alsip who beat the everliving shit out of the occasional Kansas City Royal 1st base coach…

Um, he probably shouldn’t do that.

3 Comments:

Blogger edP said...

"lat"?

4:36 AM  
Blogger kroushlconflict said...

Crede w/the Twins???

I can't stand that BA character.

Getting to the playoffs means squat if we can't even win at LEAST one game. Shameful.

That is all.

7:03 AM  
Blogger edP said...

I love Joe Crede but there is no way the SOX can sign him. He is lucky to get the incentive laden deal that's on the table.

And re: the Cubs, I respectfully disagree Ms. K that even if the Cubs get swept out again that it is shameful. It is harder to make the playoffs in MLB than in any other sport...162 games battling injuries, travel, keeping your mind and body sharp...even against inferior competition (I know I have pounded the NL Central but I am being serious now)....

And remember the Cubs, Hendry and Lou have done all this with a bankrupt parent company and the prospect of the team being sold.

It might not lead to the WS success all fans dream of for the team they love but if the Cubs make it three years in a row (and they will have to stay injury free to do it this year, they are thin at some key positions) I say it is a big accomplishment.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home