My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

His Name Is Theo

Nothing official yet, but it looks like Theo E (no relation to Shelia E) is going to be the next GM of the Chicago Cubs. This does not guarantee the Cubs the World Series or even the same kinds of successful seasons the Red Sox had during Mr. Epstein's tenure.

What it does is it brings the North Side Club into the 21t Century, into the world of big boy baseball. I applaud Ricketts for taking this chance and plan to watch with great interest.

Baseball does not mean much in the grand scheme of things but it is the one public soap opera in the gutter culture that captures my attention. The smart people can be really smart and millions of dollars, triumph, failure and over a hundred years of history can hang in the balance. This is going to be a great story no matter what happens because so much is at stake.

It was terrible what became of Hendry. He threw bad money after worse. Whether he was prompted to do so by elements of the Trib, and then later Zell who wanted to drive up the team's price is a mystery to me. I'd like to believe the last of the old scouts was not that stupid.

But maybe he was.

I admit I hoped that the money paid out to Zambrano, Sorriano, Aramis Ramirez, Ryan Dempster, Koske Fukudome, and Milton Bradley would not lead to the cubs winning it all...not because I hate the cubs, but I hated those free agent signings. I think that Theo will combine a tear down/building up period of the farm system with acquiring free agents in an effort to succeed the way he and Larry L did in Boston.

Yes I know that at the heart of that Red Sox lineup were Juicy and Super Juicy guys (Manny and Big P) but Theo and his guys helped develop players that have led to the Red Sox continued success. Should he do this for the cubs he will try to succeed nobly, to do what Ricketts promised...building from within...and should he fail, he will fail nobly trying to build a winner in Chicago baseball.

Which is better than what Hendry did, he failed basely and would have succeeded basely if overpaid and overvalued Dempster, Sorriano, Ramirez and the rest of that junk led to a title and were remembered forever as baseball heroes in this town.

Yuck.

And should the Cubs have success with this rebuild, maybe the team I love would take some cues from this...of course it will take several years for the SOX of White to dig out from bad contracts given to Rios, Peavy, Dunn etc...

But the baseball fan constantly carries hope in a bucket, although sometimes they have to carry a bucket of shit along with it.

Good luck north side fans.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris B. said...

All of those hires looked good on paper, but I don't remember the last time the Cubs seemed like a team. That's a lot harder to predict, but when a team gels, lots of other things fall into place. Marlins, White Sox, etc.- those players seemed to care about the other guys on the team.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home