Shark?
This morning is the first meeting of the History of Social Thought summer session class. I am so geeked up (even more than usual). I’m doing a bunch of different stuff, I have no idea if it is going to work.
I also have no idea why I am trying all these new things as this is the last time the class is being offered. What is the point of piloting some new lectures and new material. There is no future for the class as I have structured it? Why do I change the way I teach every semester? It is so much fucking work…
Why do I change the way I write songs whenever I can?
I am a shark.
I will die if I do not keep moving, or think I am moving on in some way.
Some of my friends who see me living in the same house in DeKalb (and I’ll probably live in this thing for the next 40 years) – will say, ‘Yeah shark whatever. You are in your safety zone.’
To that I say there are different kinds of adventures different kinds of risks. Some people have to physically move themselves and their belongings to feel they have moved on or advanced. I can totally respect that. To me, the process of moving itself blurs my perspective, numbs me to life and makes me feel stagnate and dead. Even the thought process of ‘What if we moved here or here’ – it doesn’t help me “move” anywhere.
Some people need to move on in their personal relationships. The shark mentality described above used to be my “dating profile” – and those who’ve known me for a long time know how that turned out. *ugh – I was the most miserable, single playing the field guy ever.
Again, dead, numb to life – new girlfriend/fuck buddy a distraction from the real things in my life.
I eat a lot of turkey sandwiches. I don’t jump out of airplanes. I’ve never been to Spain (but I kinda like the music).
It is easy to call me boring, and maybe I have missed the mark when it comes to living in the moment (that shit almost killed me a few times when I was younger)…
But I will take a chance when I can….
in the things the matter the most to me.
I also have no idea why I am trying all these new things as this is the last time the class is being offered. What is the point of piloting some new lectures and new material. There is no future for the class as I have structured it? Why do I change the way I teach every semester? It is so much fucking work…
Why do I change the way I write songs whenever I can?
I am a shark.
I will die if I do not keep moving, or think I am moving on in some way.
Some of my friends who see me living in the same house in DeKalb (and I’ll probably live in this thing for the next 40 years) – will say, ‘Yeah shark whatever. You are in your safety zone.’
To that I say there are different kinds of adventures different kinds of risks. Some people have to physically move themselves and their belongings to feel they have moved on or advanced. I can totally respect that. To me, the process of moving itself blurs my perspective, numbs me to life and makes me feel stagnate and dead. Even the thought process of ‘What if we moved here or here’ – it doesn’t help me “move” anywhere.
Some people need to move on in their personal relationships. The shark mentality described above used to be my “dating profile” – and those who’ve known me for a long time know how that turned out. *ugh – I was the most miserable, single playing the field guy ever.
Again, dead, numb to life – new girlfriend/fuck buddy a distraction from the real things in my life.
I eat a lot of turkey sandwiches. I don’t jump out of airplanes. I’ve never been to Spain (but I kinda like the music).
It is easy to call me boring, and maybe I have missed the mark when it comes to living in the moment (that shit almost killed me a few times when I was younger)…
But I will take a chance when I can….
in the things the matter the most to me.


9 Comments:
I didn't know you were a playa!
We've been playing fB at home. Good stuff!
There have to be different kinds of sharks too, right? They can't all be great whites...
Go Sox!
amen...grant miller
PDawg, are you ready to have the floatingBasement record in your home? uh, because that's sort of like inviting Dracula into your house and giving him an out of tune guitar and bang bang and listening to him make a shitload of noise.
Fucking Dracula.
If you think of a better way of presenting the material and reaching more students, it would be downright immoral not to take it out for a spin, wouldn't it? And yes, I do think you would die if you started teaching by rote... the Buehler, Buehler method... are there any old filmstrips covering the H of ST? Perhaps with time-lapse photography? Now that would be some cool shit.
it sounds more like continuous mental activity which is a good thing. it should help your mind as you get older. it's better that the mental activity is done in the spirit of being forward-looking and creative.
a person has to have goals, otherwise what's the point?
Mark already has a vampire. His name is Jer. If you don't mind 'collaberating' on the futon with him, I'm sure you'll have a positive experience. As far as the mental moving stuff, I say what about the physical? All I hear is some middle age puss who's too scared to hit the hardwood. Big men who can shoot are a rare commodity dammit. You owe it to the game..........and those shriveled pieces of gristle you call lungs.
I quit smoking dude.
I think there was actually a compliment in there somewhere.
You called me big.
I'm not sure I want to know anything about futon collaborations.
MM played me some of the new stuff and it is good.
There is no coherent theme to these remarks.
That is all.
I can't believe you said "fuck buddy."
Yes I can
I should clarify: I've heard you say both words plenty of times, never 'in sequence.'
The Sultan's machismo is beginning to concern me. He's been talking so tuff lately.
Post a Comment
<< Home