My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Comes Great Responsibility

Welcome Back to School night for parents at Alex’s school. His teacher is wonderful. She asked all the parents to sit at the kids’ desks and draw a picture for their girl or boy. Then we put the pics in the corresponding kid’s mailbox. Alex has a mailbox.

I drew the HULK.

Saw a friend from back in the day that has returned to town. Her son is in 3rd grade. We shot the shit and tried not to talk while the principal was talking. It’s so played out – blah blah blah – but I really felt like I was back in school at this thing tonight. Maybe this happens for parents because on some level this is the way we have a little more empathy for our kids…

…or maybe it’s just a selfish reaction – even as Daddy with responsibilities to help my son make these first steps outside the home – I’m still thinking of me.

Poor me.

Poor me, my ass.

I’ve got it pretty good…even the shit I went through when I was younger, at least it was interesting shit.

Alex wrote his first word (that wasn’t his name) on the dry erase board.

SPIDERMAN

So proud of that kid.

We were talking about the origin of Spiderman tonight before bed. I told him about what Spiderman learned after gaining his amazing powers. That with great power…

(I guess we’ve read the comic a lot because he finished the phrase)

“…comes great responsibility.”

I did good work on the Adams intro tonight. There are paragraphs that will have to be inserted later but slow and steady…

The Nietzsche class went well last night. I gave the kids Quiz One. I may be working on some lecture topics in the context of this blog. That will make some tune out and I’m sorry for that. But the blog has completely replaced my day book. Again, I know this sounds f’in pretentious but I write because I have to – and what I have to…and this may be the only place for me to toss out a few scattered thoughts about “On Truth and Lie…” and going from the end of the “Uses and Disadvantages of History for Life”…and back to Nit’s dissertation “The Birth of Tragedy”

We’ll see who’s bored. Maybe someone here’ll teach me a thing or two.

6 Comments:

Blogger Michael K said...

Here comes the philosophy again. We had a little break over the summer.

I like that Alex is such a big fan of Spiderman. He was my favorite too. He never asked for his power, he just got it and had to deal with it while also ramianing humble so as not to draw attention to his family.

Most Stan Lee comics had/have a great moral quality to them. I think your teaching ethics in law might be given great insight from the comics of your youth.

10:01 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Stan Lee was the only famous uh, "author" I ever wanted to meet and I am glad I met him. You could tell that in this man there was a simple and unwavering passion for fairness...a great love for the underdog but with the knowledge that the underdog, for the most part, was born to lose - and it's what the person or the character did in the face of that - that's what counted.

When Bill and I went to the Bi Mon Sci Con (who's motto maoy or may not have been "Be there AND be square" and we talked to SL I asked him to sign the cover of a Silver Age Marvel he wrote: "The Brutal Betrayal of Ben Grimm." In the big blue box on the cover, Stan Lee, circa 1965 described the context thusly: "Possibly the most dramatic turn of events in the field of contemporary literature."

I asked him to sign under that box. He blushed and said: "Oh my, I can't believe I wrote that."

I said: "Sir, you did, and you were right."

We laughed our butts off.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of leaving drawings for your kid. I hope something like that happens at our Open House next week, although I'm pretty sure the kid will be with us (that's how Open H's always worked when I was a kid). Maybe I'll have to bring something along and sneak it in his box when no one's looking.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Michael K said...

Very dramatic for a comic book.

3:07 PM  
Blogger olddogdk said...

Dude, your kid is going to be a super storehouse of superhero information! That's cool.

You do have it pretty good.

How good was your Hulk drawing?

7:25 PM  
Blogger edP said...

It actually looked like the Hulk drew it.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home