Good Man
Kim and Alex spent most of Sat in the OF. While I missed them, I played outside all day and had a great time. Did some garage stuff, yard stuff and cut most of the grass. Then, I actually paid for golf and went to South Pointe to do something different. Hot as hell, but for me with my bats in hand – FUCKING BEAUTIFUL DAY!
Golfed with these two nice young men. They were 6 beers ahead of me but big baseball fans and we had some excellent conversation. All of us hit the ball pretty well and it helped the general mood and camaraderie. While we loved beer, baseball and golf let’s say me and these boys were at different stages of our lives when it comes to relationships. They wanted me to firmly convince them that sex with the same woman, even after 16 years could still be good.
I finally said: “Fellas you’ll either find out I am right or be divorced. It’s an interesting gamble because half your shit hangs in the balance.”
We all agreed that Saturdays were made for golf, doin’ it and beer.
I wish Kim was here.
Sorry fans of ambersongs.
Back to the triumvirate of pleasures - I don’t think there is anything wrong or licentious with me saying or believing that. I am a man that loves life and part of loving life means being able to enjoy (but not be a slave to) the pleasures of the body. Sun, beer and love are three good things. If that’s all there was to my life that would be sad but as it is these things make my life rich. Unlike some rich men, I believe I know how to enjoy what the Lord has blessed me with…
The only other disagreement of the day was how to treat cub fans if they lost the series (the tragedy of Game 3 had yet to play out)
One guy was a WhiteSOX fan, the other guy was a Yankee fan from Toledo
???
I said “If they lose tonight, which I don’t know if they will…but if they are swept and the series ends badly I’m gonna hug any cub fan I find.”
The boys were like “Fuck that they think their shit doesn’t stink blah blah blah…”
Shit I usually say.
I didn’t go into a diatribe on why cub fans deserve to be hugged or how they should be hugged…
Dev, DC, Bill Garver – I’m coming to get you.
Seriously I’ll talk about the baseball things that went right and wrong with both sides of town at some point…
But for now I will say why I am sad for my cub fan friends and cub fans in general. More than any other fan, they just want to be happy. Their team plays in a beautiful park in the best summer city in the world…the beer is delicious EXCEPT WHEN THE CUNTS CUT ME AND MY FRIENDS OFF…….
Sorry cunts
But the real cub fan does not love the misery. They may live with some bad shit, but they want to win - they want the success of beautiful summer days well-spent to turn into the memory of one championship season.
Nothing is inevitable here. It is not inevitable that they continue losing, nor are they entitled to the most hallowed team sports crown because they have waited so long and faced so much misery in the waiting.
What I will say to my cub fan friends is:
You deserve to be happy, and you should be happy after this season. Things didn’t go the way you dreamed but that’s another way in which baseball follows real life. If we have the right attitude about it, it helps us see daily, trivial failures for what they are.
Life is too short to dwell on the failures. There are too few baseball seasons that will pass in our lifetime to not enjoy every one of them…even the ones that break our hearts.
I’m not sure that each baseball season is a microcosm of human life starting out with such promise and at the end leaving 90-some % of souls wondering ‘What went wrong?’
But baseball marks time with feats of strength and agility, joy and disappointment.
My team stands a wee bit taller than the Kansas City Royals. Herve Villechaize stands a wee bit taller than both of them.
Sorry Fantasy Island fans.
As crappy of a year as it was for my beloved SOX the season ending helped me look back on the summer and reminded me of all I did with my family, friends etc…and all the fun we had.
I don’t know if any of this helps cub fans or anyone but one thing I do hope is that no baseball fans out there lose heart even if next year marks the centennial of World Seriesless ball on the northside….even if we get to the sesquicentennial or the Sasquatchcentennial….
Sorry BigFoot.
When I was ripping on Go Cubs Go Devin and others told me not to rip Steve Goodman. Cub Girl or someone suggested I should go find out more about him and see that he and I were alike in some ways. I’d like to think I have a City of New Orleans in me.
Sorry Katrina victims.
He faced some pretty hard shit at the end of his life. He faced it with music, dignity and an unrelenting love of the Chicago cubs. He never got to see the team of his youth win it all, but you want to hope and pray that dying 11 days before the cubs played their first post-season game since 1945 helped him put those final, painful days in perspective. Baseball is not family, or faith or love but there is comfort and even poetry to be had.
I hope we all find some of the above and remember all that was beautiful about this and every baseball season.
God bless you cub fans, Steve Goodman, and baseball fans everywhere.
Golfed with these two nice young men. They were 6 beers ahead of me but big baseball fans and we had some excellent conversation. All of us hit the ball pretty well and it helped the general mood and camaraderie. While we loved beer, baseball and golf let’s say me and these boys were at different stages of our lives when it comes to relationships. They wanted me to firmly convince them that sex with the same woman, even after 16 years could still be good.
I finally said: “Fellas you’ll either find out I am right or be divorced. It’s an interesting gamble because half your shit hangs in the balance.”
We all agreed that Saturdays were made for golf, doin’ it and beer.
I wish Kim was here.
Sorry fans of ambersongs.
Back to the triumvirate of pleasures - I don’t think there is anything wrong or licentious with me saying or believing that. I am a man that loves life and part of loving life means being able to enjoy (but not be a slave to) the pleasures of the body. Sun, beer and love are three good things. If that’s all there was to my life that would be sad but as it is these things make my life rich. Unlike some rich men, I believe I know how to enjoy what the Lord has blessed me with…
The only other disagreement of the day was how to treat cub fans if they lost the series (the tragedy of Game 3 had yet to play out)
One guy was a WhiteSOX fan, the other guy was a Yankee fan from Toledo
???
I said “If they lose tonight, which I don’t know if they will…but if they are swept and the series ends badly I’m gonna hug any cub fan I find.”
The boys were like “Fuck that they think their shit doesn’t stink blah blah blah…”
Shit I usually say.
I didn’t go into a diatribe on why cub fans deserve to be hugged or how they should be hugged…
Dev, DC, Bill Garver – I’m coming to get you.
Seriously I’ll talk about the baseball things that went right and wrong with both sides of town at some point…
But for now I will say why I am sad for my cub fan friends and cub fans in general. More than any other fan, they just want to be happy. Their team plays in a beautiful park in the best summer city in the world…the beer is delicious EXCEPT WHEN THE CUNTS CUT ME AND MY FRIENDS OFF…….
Sorry cunts
But the real cub fan does not love the misery. They may live with some bad shit, but they want to win - they want the success of beautiful summer days well-spent to turn into the memory of one championship season.
Nothing is inevitable here. It is not inevitable that they continue losing, nor are they entitled to the most hallowed team sports crown because they have waited so long and faced so much misery in the waiting.
What I will say to my cub fan friends is:
You deserve to be happy, and you should be happy after this season. Things didn’t go the way you dreamed but that’s another way in which baseball follows real life. If we have the right attitude about it, it helps us see daily, trivial failures for what they are.
Life is too short to dwell on the failures. There are too few baseball seasons that will pass in our lifetime to not enjoy every one of them…even the ones that break our hearts.
I’m not sure that each baseball season is a microcosm of human life starting out with such promise and at the end leaving 90-some % of souls wondering ‘What went wrong?’
But baseball marks time with feats of strength and agility, joy and disappointment.
My team stands a wee bit taller than the Kansas City Royals. Herve Villechaize stands a wee bit taller than both of them.
Sorry Fantasy Island fans.
As crappy of a year as it was for my beloved SOX the season ending helped me look back on the summer and reminded me of all I did with my family, friends etc…and all the fun we had.
I don’t know if any of this helps cub fans or anyone but one thing I do hope is that no baseball fans out there lose heart even if next year marks the centennial of World Seriesless ball on the northside….even if we get to the sesquicentennial or the Sasquatchcentennial….
Sorry BigFoot.
When I was ripping on Go Cubs Go Devin and others told me not to rip Steve Goodman. Cub Girl or someone suggested I should go find out more about him and see that he and I were alike in some ways. I’d like to think I have a City of New Orleans in me.
Sorry Katrina victims.
He faced some pretty hard shit at the end of his life. He faced it with music, dignity and an unrelenting love of the Chicago cubs. He never got to see the team of his youth win it all, but you want to hope and pray that dying 11 days before the cubs played their first post-season game since 1945 helped him put those final, painful days in perspective. Baseball is not family, or faith or love but there is comfort and even poetry to be had.
I hope we all find some of the above and remember all that was beautiful about this and every baseball season.
God bless you cub fans, Steve Goodman, and baseball fans everywhere.


6 Comments:
Herve lies six feet below them now. That's what it's really all about, my man.
Yeah! There's nothing funnier than a dead midget.
Thanks for talking some sense into those boys on the golf course.
But a Yanks fan from Ohio? Was it LeBron?
I forgot about that. Weird. There's at least two of them.
Next year is our year. I can feel it.
Go Cubs! Go Bears! Go Black Hawks!
Now leave me alone I am goin to eat a gun.
Meat Head! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Post a Comment
<< Home