These Boots Were NOT Made for Walking
Dropped off my car at Illini Tire after work and walked home. Beautiful day to do it. Sure it snowed like hell last night and early this morning and DeKalb was coated by that white stuff
NOT THAT YOU SICK BASTARDS!
But it was warm enough to walk by the time I dropped of the card but cold enough to leave snow covering the ground in its most dreamlike form. Hobo Park with the river and snow chunks flowing and snow on both banks of the Kish, the path flanked by snow but without a freezing wind to blow it in my face...I almost didn't even need gloves...
I certainly need a better grasp of the language for describing the beauty God has given us...
The point, poorly described above is the walk was wonderful. The only bad part was making the trek in my crap-ass snow boots. They do not fit properly and now my heel is all cut up It's not painful but just enough to be annoying. And they're perfectly positioned to bug me no matter what shoes I am wearing. Swell.
Family Movie Night was Episode One of the original Fugitive and Ship in a Bottle from Star Trek the Next Generation.
Saturday February 25 Why Don't They Shut Down the Holodeck
Last night Alex asked, "Why don't they just shut down the holodeck. It's given the Star Trek guys a lot of problems and almost destroyed the ship a bunch of times."
I've gotta a theory about that, but mercifully for all concerned, I am not going to go into it here. I just love that the boy asked the same question I did. You go boy!
John and Janine took us to see the Ice Hogs. Shaw won it in a shootout, right in front of us. We were three rows off the glass. I don't think I have ever seen Alex more excited at a live sporting event. It was pretty cool. A. Shaw's actually played in the NHL and we saw him take on the goalie one-on-one...we had killer seats on top of it all.
Oh, one of my friends from work was Ice Hogs Season Ticket Holder of the Year. Someone from the Metro Center (or whatever corporate entity claims this space) gave her a beautiful bouquet of flowers. It was nice.
The world needs more nice.
Sunday Feb 26
Worked on taxes. I've got some pages that need to be copied just in case I do the wrong thing with the first set. That should always be the plan no matter what I do.
8am Mass. Before I went to Newman I saw an ambulance and fire truck our neighbors' home. Yes, the ones who I have complained about over the years for being too nosy. There was nothing I could do at home. Went to church, making sure I took a route that would be out of the way of any other emergency vehicles.
When I got to Mass, Kim and Alex were already there (the boy had religious ed, and Kim chilled out at Newman after dropping A off) I told Kim what I saw. Tears quietly fell from her eyes. We went right over after Mass and knocked on the neighbors' door. They were fine. It was the woman who lived kitty corner from us.
I know I've painted a vivid image here with words and emotions - I suck, by the way - I just want to remember this the next time I get frustrated with what I pereive to be the nosiness of a neighbor. The Lord wants us to love our neighbor, and while I think it's a metaphorical neighbor we read about in the NT it still apploes to an actual neighbor...
....and even Jim Nabors
NOT THAT YOU SICK BASTARDS!
But it was warm enough to walk by the time I dropped of the card but cold enough to leave snow covering the ground in its most dreamlike form. Hobo Park with the river and snow chunks flowing and snow on both banks of the Kish, the path flanked by snow but without a freezing wind to blow it in my face...I almost didn't even need gloves...
I certainly need a better grasp of the language for describing the beauty God has given us...
The point, poorly described above is the walk was wonderful. The only bad part was making the trek in my crap-ass snow boots. They do not fit properly and now my heel is all cut up It's not painful but just enough to be annoying. And they're perfectly positioned to bug me no matter what shoes I am wearing. Swell.
Family Movie Night was Episode One of the original Fugitive and Ship in a Bottle from Star Trek the Next Generation.
Saturday February 25 Why Don't They Shut Down the Holodeck
Last night Alex asked, "Why don't they just shut down the holodeck. It's given the Star Trek guys a lot of problems and almost destroyed the ship a bunch of times."
I've gotta a theory about that, but mercifully for all concerned, I am not going to go into it here. I just love that the boy asked the same question I did. You go boy!
John and Janine took us to see the Ice Hogs. Shaw won it in a shootout, right in front of us. We were three rows off the glass. I don't think I have ever seen Alex more excited at a live sporting event. It was pretty cool. A. Shaw's actually played in the NHL and we saw him take on the goalie one-on-one...we had killer seats on top of it all.
Oh, one of my friends from work was Ice Hogs Season Ticket Holder of the Year. Someone from the Metro Center (or whatever corporate entity claims this space) gave her a beautiful bouquet of flowers. It was nice.
The world needs more nice.
Sunday Feb 26
Worked on taxes. I've got some pages that need to be copied just in case I do the wrong thing with the first set. That should always be the plan no matter what I do.
8am Mass. Before I went to Newman I saw an ambulance and fire truck our neighbors' home. Yes, the ones who I have complained about over the years for being too nosy. There was nothing I could do at home. Went to church, making sure I took a route that would be out of the way of any other emergency vehicles.
When I got to Mass, Kim and Alex were already there (the boy had religious ed, and Kim chilled out at Newman after dropping A off) I told Kim what I saw. Tears quietly fell from her eyes. We went right over after Mass and knocked on the neighbors' door. They were fine. It was the woman who lived kitty corner from us.
I know I've painted a vivid image here with words and emotions - I suck, by the way - I just want to remember this the next time I get frustrated with what I pereive to be the nosiness of a neighbor. The Lord wants us to love our neighbor, and while I think it's a metaphorical neighbor we read about in the NT it still apploes to an actual neighbor...
....and even Jim Nabors


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home