My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Free?

Bill Garver sold an article to a very cool looking magazine. The thing that is doubly good (and now we all can see why the number of articles ed has sold is at zero and holding)…but the reason why it’s doubly good – is the mag itself has a sort of pulp style motif whatever. It has this sort of dirty/swanky rough dried w/ some sense of style…uh, the kind of image that fits with his novel.

Anyway – I think it’s good when you have a plan – and then (at least part of) that plan works (so far, who knows – all of it could work in time). I’m happy for him. Up to this point he’s executing like the Pittsburgh Steelers’ running attack.

Sent Cousin Mike GOITER and I’m pretty geeked up. I did not have the guts to send him SELF-TITLED (the shit I put together from the sessions we did w/ the Dark Squirrel in 2001 or 2002…I forget). These songs are great – especially I WANNA! We’d been broken up for 7 or 8 years at this point and the first new track we come out with has only two words. Brilliant…at least for the floating Basement. Did I mention Bill Garver is a genius? I WANNA was his brainchild – and when you listen to the song – it’s clear he wants something…you’re never sure what it is – but dammit – Bill wants it, or he wants to do something, or – I don’t know.

We can’t go back to Elgin or practice this week. Devin’s wife is going to have their first child – probably by Friday (I think). He’s got to stay close by…man, I remember being freaked out all the time in the days before Alex arrived on the scene. Then, when you look at that kid – it becomes so simple. All they need is everything. Go get it.

I’m excited about getting back to Action City practice because we have a show at Otto’s on Jan 7th. We’ll be playing with Alex and Jay’s Western Grand. It’ll be good to see Jay again. I haven’t seen him since he became someone’s daddy.

Went out to get medicine for Kimberly Jo…she’s got bronchitis. Poor kid. Alex was sick today. Why can’t the rest of my family be healthy, like me? After getting Kim’s drugs I went to Borders. I bought a Tacky the Penguin book for Alex’s teacher. I picked up the Uncut 2005 Year in Review ish. The free CD was too damn tempting – then I heard the Robert Plant “Tin Pan Valley” song…

…and that’s when I was reminded that nothing is free.