New Something
I’m not making any resolutions. The way this cough is going – it is unlikely that I will see much of 2006. I’m gonna go out like Doc Holiday – coughing and tossing out one liners like, “I’m your dingle berry.” I have disgraced the name of Doc Holiday. Can you disgrace the name of someone who shot people for a living? It’s good work if you can get it.
I don’t deserve to see that much of 2006.
2005 has been the best year of my life. Alex is really developing his own personality and I love seeing all the good and bad that comes with it. Kim and I are really working on the parts of our marriage where we have the most trouble. There are certain areas where we are not on the same page at all – but this year, we’ve come along way and are talking about those things. That way, the real issues in our lives don’t turn into the proverbial (and boring) fight over putting the cap on the tube of toothpaste. When we have those fights, it really is about the cap on the tube of toothpaste…She better learn to pay attention that shit!!!!!
Sorry.
We came up with a new (original) name for bigDrag – we’re the New New Originals…and we started making a record. We are making this record the right way and that is certainly new for projects I’ve done with those guys. It’s going to be done by summer ’06 and it is going to be noisy - and rock the hundreds who hear it.
I finished breather and actually debuted the songs in front of people. I am going to follow up on this in the coming year. I am going to talk to my friend Gunderson and see if I can actually get the solo stuff on ‘Blish. It would be the perfect format since the longform bio goes along with this record and the next one I’m writing now (Kish – You Were Wild Here Once).
I’ve got twenty new songs for a follow up to the record I’m making with Chris, Dev and the OD and half of them are as good as anything I’ve written.
I’ve scrapped the fB book, but more importantly, this year I’ve got back in touch with Cousin Mike. We e-mail each other daily. That is an important friendship and I will not blow it again.
The thing that made 2005 so much fun…? I can say it one last time – THE CHICAGO WHITE SHOX ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS. It’s only baseball…but they are the team I’ve followed the longest – even before the Bears. I never thought I’d live to see a World Series in Chicago, and my great fear after 2003 is that the other team would do it first. Now, I no longer hate the Cubs – but if they had won the WS first – that would be it for the Sox. They would’ve been completely buried. If you read some of Josh’s comments on this blog and from DC Lies (from around the time the Sox won) the White Sox accomplishment barely rated on the national scale. I do not care about that. They are the team I love. I took my son to his first game the year the Sox won the World Series. Paul K hit the first home run Alex ever saw – and even though my little boy wanted the Tigers to win – he had a great time at his first baseball game. He loved Fundamentals and I could tell he truly enjoyed the Sox Park experience. It is the best place for kids (of all the professional; sporting venues in Chicago…Kane County stadium and Birdzerk are pretty cool too). Oh yeah, had the Cubs won it first – not only would I have had to eat shit from many a Cub fan, it’d be pretty much over for the team I love in the 2nd City media-wise. What’s the line from Spinal Tap? The silence would be deafening! As it turned out, my Cub fan friends were very nice to me, and I will be happy for them should the blue team ever break through.
I hope the White Sox component of this entry doesn’t sound too bitter. If you understand the way baseball fandom and sports media works in Chicago, you will know that I am right. It has less to do with hatred for the Cub (because I don’t hate that team) than the fear that the team I love could’ve been run out of town on a rail. If the White Sox weren’t the ugly second cousin that’s come to visit for the summer I don’t know what sports team is. But that’s all over now…
…and so is 2005. Good luck to us all in the coming year. Thank you to Blogger for having this place for me to come and write when I have the urge to smoke. Thank you everybody for providing me with stuff to read on your blogs. Thanks to people who post comments on this thing. Thanks to all the people who came to any gig this year. Welcome to the world Riley, Vanessa, Owen and Elliot Simone. Thanks to God for the gift of life – maybe someday I will learn how to use it.
I don’t deserve to see that much of 2006.
2005 has been the best year of my life. Alex is really developing his own personality and I love seeing all the good and bad that comes with it. Kim and I are really working on the parts of our marriage where we have the most trouble. There are certain areas where we are not on the same page at all – but this year, we’ve come along way and are talking about those things. That way, the real issues in our lives don’t turn into the proverbial (and boring) fight over putting the cap on the tube of toothpaste. When we have those fights, it really is about the cap on the tube of toothpaste…She better learn to pay attention that shit!!!!!
Sorry.
We came up with a new (original) name for bigDrag – we’re the New New Originals…and we started making a record. We are making this record the right way and that is certainly new for projects I’ve done with those guys. It’s going to be done by summer ’06 and it is going to be noisy - and rock the hundreds who hear it.
I finished breather and actually debuted the songs in front of people. I am going to follow up on this in the coming year. I am going to talk to my friend Gunderson and see if I can actually get the solo stuff on ‘Blish. It would be the perfect format since the longform bio goes along with this record and the next one I’m writing now (Kish – You Were Wild Here Once).
I’ve got twenty new songs for a follow up to the record I’m making with Chris, Dev and the OD and half of them are as good as anything I’ve written.
I’ve scrapped the fB book, but more importantly, this year I’ve got back in touch with Cousin Mike. We e-mail each other daily. That is an important friendship and I will not blow it again.
The thing that made 2005 so much fun…? I can say it one last time – THE CHICAGO WHITE SHOX ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS. It’s only baseball…but they are the team I’ve followed the longest – even before the Bears. I never thought I’d live to see a World Series in Chicago, and my great fear after 2003 is that the other team would do it first. Now, I no longer hate the Cubs – but if they had won the WS first – that would be it for the Sox. They would’ve been completely buried. If you read some of Josh’s comments on this blog and from DC Lies (from around the time the Sox won) the White Sox accomplishment barely rated on the national scale. I do not care about that. They are the team I love. I took my son to his first game the year the Sox won the World Series. Paul K hit the first home run Alex ever saw – and even though my little boy wanted the Tigers to win – he had a great time at his first baseball game. He loved Fundamentals and I could tell he truly enjoyed the Sox Park experience. It is the best place for kids (of all the professional; sporting venues in Chicago…Kane County stadium and Birdzerk are pretty cool too). Oh yeah, had the Cubs won it first – not only would I have had to eat shit from many a Cub fan, it’d be pretty much over for the team I love in the 2nd City media-wise. What’s the line from Spinal Tap? The silence would be deafening! As it turned out, my Cub fan friends were very nice to me, and I will be happy for them should the blue team ever break through.
I hope the White Sox component of this entry doesn’t sound too bitter. If you understand the way baseball fandom and sports media works in Chicago, you will know that I am right. It has less to do with hatred for the Cub (because I don’t hate that team) than the fear that the team I love could’ve been run out of town on a rail. If the White Sox weren’t the ugly second cousin that’s come to visit for the summer I don’t know what sports team is. But that’s all over now…
…and so is 2005. Good luck to us all in the coming year. Thank you to Blogger for having this place for me to come and write when I have the urge to smoke. Thank you everybody for providing me with stuff to read on your blogs. Thanks to people who post comments on this thing. Thanks to all the people who came to any gig this year. Welcome to the world Riley, Vanessa, Owen and Elliot Simone. Thanks to God for the gift of life – maybe someday I will learn how to use it.


5 Comments:
I've learned that my quality of life doesn't change significantly if the cap is off the toothpaste. I just put it back on the tube and all is well.
Also, I used to like the Vikings when I was Alex's age but only because my grandpa kept telling me I was a viking and MN had cool helmets. (Then came the Payton era...)
Chris, I'm sure you would be absolutely adorable - no, wait, I mean strong and terrifying - in a viking helmet. What are the chances of you wearing one at Otto's?
Ed, just out of curiosity, what do you see as the good and bad parts of Alex's burgeoning personality?
Bad was probably the wrong word - I think I meant all the good and bad that comes out of someone asserting himself. Ultimately - I think my boy's got a good heart so it is going to work out - it's just scary when children go from seeming so infinitely malleable to becoming rigid or determined in one area or another - things they definitely do not like or will not do. That is only bad in a limited sense - it is ultimately good that Alex grows up - and becomes the person he is going to be. I'm just happy to be along for the ride and all the ups and downs that go with it (maybe I should've used the terms "ups and downs")
Understood, and agreed. And, in my own situation, it occurs to me that as The Kid becomes more rigid, I need to become more malleable. Wonder how I'm gonna pull that off....
Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »
Post a Comment
<< Home