My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Slurp

We have yet to go shopping for Kim’s digital camera. We are Christmas slackers. We just don’t spend like we’re supposed to. It’s un-American.

I am still sick (and apparently I am still a whiner). I get sick like this once a year, like clockwork. The coughing was never this bad when I was a smoker. Oh yeah, that’s because cigarettes have cough suppressants in them. What will those wonderful folks at Philip Morris think of next? Rubber cigarette chew toys for tots?

We are mixing dil next week and that’s a good thing. Now I’m starting to take seriously Josh’s suggestion re: breather. He said that the recording could be more interesting if it was done in one shot – sort of live (without clapping and whoo hoos) – just live in front of friends and a bottle of Maker’s. I think within a few months I will have a budget to do something like that. Also, after the show – I feel confident enough in my ability to play the stuff live – and in this case, all live to tape. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Nobody is going to boo me if I decide to do a second take of something. The goal would be, to get this as live sounding as possible – especially since it’s just me.

One other point on how little I know about art or creativity or whatever - Prairie Dawg already called me out about where I put the rock on the creative food chain. My friend vanGundy (the link is over to the side) has been talking about spending more time on creative projects he really cares about. Devin, for the last two years ago has been saying the same thing. Now I always thought that those guys – who have to use their ascetic sense (that’s the wrong term I’m sure) in their jobs – I thought using those talents - that sense - might help scratch some of those itches from time to time. Again, ed knows nothing about art. After reading vanGundy’s last post (and things Dev has told me), it seems that working this way makes it more frustrating not to do visual work that they want to do. Well, Gunderstorm certainly seems to have found the resolve to try to do something about the situation. And Devin, well we know he has just taken part in creating something pretty darn beautiful…maybe he can make sculpture out of the diapers.

Alex wants to learn the URLACHER song on the drums. He also wants to learn TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR, and a few songs by Dressy Bessy. It should be a fun/LOUD coupla weeks around my house. I came home from work last night and Alex and his friend Zach were tearing ass around the house – building all these “traps” with Alex’s lumber wagon. Strangely, it is peaceful to come home from work and finding screaming, laughing kids rippin’ it up in my living room. I can’t complain about anything, the boys made me a chocolate milkshake.

sssslllluurrrrrrrp

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always rejected the idea of writing for a living because I was afraid it would make me hate writing altogether. But I also have a standard joke about the parallels between legal writing and fiction writing - and it has a basis in truth. In legal writing, one still wants to tell a good story, especially when the topic is something as dry as, say, ERISA litigation. I don't do any of the writing here myself, but on occasion I am asked to proofread and "read for Englishification," as we call it, in which case I can comment or tweak the writing. It ain't much, but it does scratch, especially considering the mindlessness of my other responsibilities. As for my personal writing, I haven't touched pen to paper since summer, but that is not the fault of my job (except that I need to retire in order to have the time & energy).

9:21 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Bill seems to be very disciplined about his writing - making time every day - or a bunch of days in a row where he just devotes time to writing - good, bad or otherwise...Me, it takes no fucking brainpower at all to write stuff with the guitar (maybe that's why so much of it sucks)...I have to pick it up, I have to play every day. Fortunately I don't play guitar for a living, what would I do to "escape" that? The longform bio thing I've been working on is different, it's the first time I've ever tried to do something like that and it goes in fits and starts (stits and farts too). The sad thing is, I have 7000 pages of journal to use and the writing in there is sort of fresh, or not too forced (as this obviously is)

You should retire and write. When I get more of the No Trick Pony thing done, do you mind if I send it to you to get some feedback?

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love that - but only if you call it Englishification. It will be written in English, right?

9:55 AM  
Blogger edP said...

dammit, I knew I forgot something - English!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Chris B. said...

I can help on the camera front. Give me a call.

Also, I learned my lesson after working at Record Rev - the music business sucks and working in it (in whatever capacity) makes you hate it. We're in the fortunate position to be able to do whatever we want with the music we play. I feel fortunate to be connected to you, Devin and the Old Dog for this reason (and because you're all great kissers.)

XOXOXO

7:39 PM  
Blogger edP said...

ChrisB b'in who he wanna b all over my blog. I love it

7:50 PM  
Blogger Gunderstorm said...

"Do what you love, the money will follow" still holds true, but I would add to that, "...until you are either 27 or married (whichever comes first). Then do something close enough to what you love that you still like it a hell of a lot, but do what you love in your spare time."

The only reasons I got away from what I love are purely financial.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... moving companies aaaaiowa moving companies in douglasville georgia Surf backpacks Guitar area rugs Black milf hunter Troubleshooting land rover discovery http://www.online-payment-system-0.info/Dermaxx-without-prescription.html apteka seroquel Law office of richard weaver zion illinois moving companies moving companies in wisconsin Award winning hydrangeas infiniti

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home