My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Umlaut Free since '93

So our president finally admitted to having bad intelligence. It wasn’t all his fault – his parents and teachers should accept some of the blame.

I should talk – I’m the perfect example of the middling/muddling effect the democratization of university has on the quality of teachers and their ability to stimulate something like learning in their students. I teach Plato but I don’t read Greek. I teach Nietzsche and I can’t spell ubermench. Sorry – I can’t get the blog to do umlauts. Sadly, Motley Crue is smarter than my blog. Maybe it was all the Lowenbrau they drank.

I should’ve called Larry this week about mixing dil – but I’m just not sure what to do at this point. Chris and Joe really liked the first raw mix of the song I played for them. I sort of need a band ok – like play the raw track one more time and say: “Boys do you like this? – because I know I can go back into the studio and make our song sound like this.”

I feel the need to get their approval before I go ahead and ramrod this thing to completion. Ok, that just sounds stupid.

It’s funny, I always seek their (Dev, Chris & Joe’s) approval. I bust their balls mercilessly – I’m even older than ChrisB. But I think of them all as older – or bigger brothers (I think I’m fatter than all of them too). No wonder I’m such a pain in the ass.

When we started playing together – I had the least experience of any of them in recording the normal, according to Hoyle way (unless you count the boom box to boom box overdubbing process of the floating Basement – and nobody should count that). But now, I think I’ve spent more time behind mixing boards and being involved hands on with the recording and mixing of both you know what albums – the bD stuff we did w/ Alex – and my own solo shit which I’m too chickenshit to let out of the coop. Wha?

Practically speaking – at least in terms of hours – I’ve spent more time working on this crap than any of them – but I still defer to the other guys in the band. I think it’s because I love their taste in music – or think they have better taste in music than I do. I know I can say this: ChirsB and Dev have introduced me to a bunch of cool music – and while Joe…not so much, I defer to him because he has a fantastic ear – he knows what most stuff should sound like – and he helps me get good guitar sounds…and lets me know when I’ve gone too far – important stuff like that.

We’re in a holding pattern anyway because Dev and Laura are about to meet their first child. That’s the important stuff – the rock will take care of itself…right?

I’m not going to have to worry much about anything. Josh is arriving right as Kim and Alex are leaving town – and hhe couldn’t give me any extra hours during the break. I don’t expect to live to see New Year’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home