My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Depends on What You Are Chasing

Took Alex to swimming lessons tonight and it was great to end the busy day watching the boy swimming with his pals.

Work - we changed policies a few times (it was a bit spasmodic or at least some of this was unexpected) based on a new resource (or a set of resources) our company has access to…sorry about being cryptic. We are not doing anything big or snaky. When you do business in more than one state and potentially tied to a labyrinth of state and federal regulations you want to be subject to the most sensible codes and sometimes talking too much about these things leads you to say things you wish you didn’t. I’ve talked about the family I work for and for some odd reason (it certainly isn’t financial reward) I am ferociously loyal to them.

Anyway it was exciting in an ‘oh boy we are really gonna try this and it is happening faster than we thought’ kind of way. We’ll see where it all leads, but it was more exciting seeing my son interact with his playmates at swim lessons. Most kids love the pool but my kid seems to treasure every second in the water, his body just seems freer when he’s trying to float or just splashing around.

I spent my time wisely at swim lessons tonight. I paid attention to my kid. I answered a few e-mails on my phone then put the damned thing away. Getting caught up in responding to potential gigs at this point in my life would be closing my eyes to a gift that was right in front of me. The gigs are important but they and the e-mails will be there at 11pm when I sit down at my computer after Lost (I usually can't get to my favorite guilty pleasure until Thursdays).

The parents sat on these metal bleachers looking down on the pool. Hearing and seeing your kid interact with peers from a different vantage point – one where you do not matter – is an amazing thing. When you as “Dad” are taken out of the equation and it is just kids playing around and in the water, you see what your child is becoming.

You do not become completely detached. Your child’s voice stands out, it grabs your attention no matter how far away you think you are. But tonight I used that perspective to look at the boy (and I tried to be as unselfish as possible…for me) and see that the Lord has given me the perfect child. Again Alex is not the perfect child. But he is the perfect child for Kim and I. There is not a mean bone in his body. When I can have spite and envy running through me (even for those close to me) Alex helps me remember the two most important things in life:

1.) Life has meaning; 2.) Life is fun.

But now is the time for more spite and less hippie crap…

- --- -- - - - - - - - - - -------------- - - - - - - - ---- - --- -- - - - - - - - - -
Starting Pitching – The #1 Starter

Cubs = 38 Carlos Zambrano

Sox = 52 Jose Contreras, 20 Jon Garland, and 56 Mark Buehrle…

Advantage SOX (just barely). This may be a sign of me being spiteful and a cheater – but I also think I am an honest cheater here. To my mind Contreras is 1, Garland is 1A and Buehrle is 1AA. For the past two years the Sox have had three and sometimes four guys that have looked like a #1 and that’s what led them to frustrate so many of their foes, especially in the 1st half of 2005. For the Cubs they only have one #1. If Z’s head is screwed on straight he can be one hell of a #1. Z competes and when he is tuned in, channels all his talents, his entire being - from his leg kick through the core of his body, up his back, building in the full extension of his right arm and exploding with the final violent snap of his wrist. There is no doubt that when he is right, there is poetry in Carlos Zambrano.

But shit, life is poker not poetry and 3 aces are better than one.

Sure one little Sox ace is having trouble with his location (Buehrle), one little Sox ace has a knot in his arm and potentially something going on with his back (Garland), and let’s be honest Jose Contreras could be 52 years old as well as being number 52!

I will admit the Sox three aces are frayed and faded but 3 beats 1 blah blah blah...

--- -- - --- ---- - - -- - - - - - - - - - --------- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - -

Just listened to Danny Gatton’s Harlem Nocturne. There is something so human and at the same time otherworldly about that man’s music. You spend half the time wondering ‘is this guy really one of us?’. I have no insights as to why troubled souls, from time to time make such incredible music. Are they in full control of their talents (?!?) or has something grabbed hold of them, shook them before us, the stupefied onlookers shouting: “HERE! HERE YOU FOOLS! LOOK AT WHAT COMES FROM ONE OF YOU AND WHAT YOU CAN AND OUGHT TO MEASURE YOURSELVES AGAINST!”

Then the person who acted as the conduit is flung to the ground in a lifeless heap.

And we all stare.

For years to come we stare and wonder what on earth happened.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking about your son ant hippie crap, unless you named home Moonbeam or Star Child. Then you would need your ass kicked. It makes it less scary for me cuz me and the Warden are going to start trying to have some ourselves. Honestly it scares the crap out of me. I can barely take care of myself much less another little person, who will depend on me for everything. Whoof! For those you who know me you are prolly scared shitless I am considering breeding and glad I moved out of state. Maybe in the near future we turn our blog into a child raising advice column. Sorry I laughed my ass of just typing that…. Now to baseball.

You think your pitching is shaky! I would trade you any day…Or at least I say that right now. I remember when you guys won the WW. Who knew you had three studs who could pitch like that back to back to back. One of the best fucking three games of pitching I have ever seen in baseball playoffs, if not the best.

So I will be typical Cubbie douche bag here. If our pitching pans out… who knows? We have quantity, if crossing your fingers, toes, legs, eyes and testicles counts. Then hopefully it turns out to be quality also. Falls over drunk in frat t-shirt, giving victory sign mumbling World Series 2007……

Now the Cub fan version. Hands down you guys have the better pitching. We are praying to every baseball god there is one or two of these guys turns out to be decent. The Cubs will have to spend even more money and be very active this year before the play offs to even hope of going deep in the playoffs.

I don’t know. Normally this time of year I am talking much smack and drinking blue kool aid by the gallons. This year I have this sick pit in my stomach and feel like I am going to puke. Maybe that means it really is our year but I highly doubt it.

6:58 AM  
Blogger edP said...

"Me and the Warden" - that's awesome!

Kids are great. I can honestly say this was never my plan. I was always thinking about the next record or something that was not directly connected with family and stability and especially children.

There are other signs or things of course, but kids can help you see that the world is good - or at least help you see what good there is in the world.

I bitch and complain about never having much time to just sit on my ass or whatever...and sometimes my friends hear me talk like such a fucking martyr 'oh I gotta do this oh I gotta do that bitch bitch bitch'

...but kids do a lot of the shit that they need themselves - esp my kid. He knows what he needs (most of the time) and is pretty good at articulating it.

I could learn from the boy.

10:48 AM  
Blogger P-Dizzle said...

"There is not a mean bone in his body."

Wha?

That guy opens up a pint-sized can of whupass on me every time I see him!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea most people might have cute little nicknames but I think my nickname for my honey is more appropriate. I guess I could call myself the Doctors wife or some other such nonsense but I like warden.

The funny thing is. She knows that’s what I call her and she likes it.(or at least tolerates it you never know what can set a Warden off.) I even heard her say damn straight to one of her friends. They were trying to dime me out and get me in trouble. Stupid little women didn’t know I am always in trouble and something as small calling the Doc the warden isn’t going to set her off. I do worse than that farting on her in my sleep to piss her off.(or maybe I am not asleep) Just lets me know to tell her husband to keep his Warden in check or at very least don’t repeat man talk. Geez it’s bad enough I am a beaten man in my own house but to get dimed out by guys….

He is almost out of the man circle and banished to girl talk for ever.

I do kid though and get along awesome with my wife. We are going on 9 years of being hitched. She is my best friend and can defiantly relate to good and bad times. 8 of that 9 has been be putting her through grad school, the PharmD school and now residency. I manage to keep food on the table, booze in the house and a roof over our head. Oh and her damn high end expensive parrots and cats to boot.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Moderator said...

I'd say Garland is the Sox ace. Contreras is second, but he's getting older every second. And whatever age the media guide says, add another five years to it. Buehrle has not looked good in spring training. He has the arm of a 42-year-old because they pitched him for 200+ innings every year since 2000.

2:06 PM  
Blogger DC Liar said...

Re: Kids

Don't fall for it Meathead!

Ed Finn and PDawg Sawyer over there can talk-up how much powerful-fun it is painting that fence, but I'm not buyin' it.

2:11 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Meat Head is killin me with "high end parrots and cats to boot"

6:20 PM  
Blogger santipissed said...

The Sox starters are good. Big Z will have another good year and especially if he cuts his walks down. I am expecting big things from Hill. Lilliy and Marquis scare the hell out of me pitching at Wrigley

8:21 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Oooh, I forgot to say anything about Rich Hill. Marquis can't suck as much as he did last year. And when the cubs butchers in the outfield let down J.Marq (not his nickname) he will be able to overcome their incompetence because Marqius has overcome so much already (including the cruelty inflicted on him by Dave Duncan, LaRoussa and the WhiteSOX one incredibly fucked up day last July)

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home