My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Rome Sweet Rome

Bummed out cuz next Sunday is the last Rome. I get into my stories on the HBO. Well, they got the John Adams thing on tap. My only concern is they may want to sex that show up the way they did with the second season of Rome. Ewwwww

Also bummed because I think the Sox and Cubs have some of the same problems. There is a great potential that the baseball season could suck because both sides of town are deficient in the same areas. It won’t stop me from making my laughable baseball picks in the next few days.

The Outfield (not the band)?

Cliff Floyd seems to be able to catch the balls he gets to. How many balls will he get to on those old Cliff Floyd legs?

Podz? Is he really back? Great interview with Podz over the weekend with Koppock and Levine.

Just an aside, if Lou really wants to create a “Cubbie swagger” the first thing he should do is DROP THE FUCKING CUBBIE PART – nothing bugs me more than the word “Cubbie”…how can anything with an “ie” ending have a swagger?...but if Lou wants to create a winning culture on his team, he should make his players listen to that interview from Podz. Podz gave no bullshit answers, especially when he was asked about the 2006, 90 win season. He came right out and said the White Sox 2006 season was a disappointment. Cub fans will remember that 2004 (maybe the most disappointing Cub season I ever watched) there was Dusty and other players (some still on the team) reminding reporters that the team won more games in 2004 even though they did not make the playoffs. I laughed (not cuz I hate the Cubs but I did hate THOSE Cubs, the Prior/Wood Cubs that were going to win the World Series in 2004)…but I laughed because I knew those were the words of losers.

The Baseball Zeus interview with Podz had a dark side to it. Podz understands what the realities are for a player of his age and abilities. The 9 year minor leaguer didn’t just say ‘I’ll do anything to help the team’ – he sketched out what had to happen with his rehab so he would have a chance to do things that are vital to winning baseball. Listeners got an insight as to what made the Sox go in 2005 and how it may never be back again. But the real winning attitude comes across when the player can list all the things they are willing to do and all the things that have to happen for the Sox to be real contenders again. You know, it might help if PaulieK listened to the Podz interview as well.

A strange aside, any baseball player (except K Farnsworthless) could learn a thing or two about throwing cheap shots from Podz who looks like Peter Pan but messed up fucking Barrett’s face last year in Sox park after the AJ cheap shot. That to me was the freakiest/ most disturbing part of the fight. AJ didn’t fall down but we all remember Barrett’s face in the post game interviews – black eye, fat lip…Podz was the first guy in there pounding on Barrett…

You make the call, but I think poor Podz has a lot of pent up hostility. All those years in the minors and playing for the Brewers could do that to anyone.

But that has nothing to do with a winning attitude. That’s just a weird fight story. Those are never good.

And I have nothing against Barrett. I think what he is doing with the 10 grand per home run thing is fantastic. Again, the Baseball Zeus had a great line when he approached Barrett about his generosity.

Bruce L: “It is great that you are donating $10,000 for each home run you hit to help find a cure for the disease that struck Derrick Lee’s daughter. But Michael, with your luck you’ll probably hit 40 this year.”

Great baseball moment for a guy who had a really tough year two years (some of it, the Padres and Astros shit he brought on himself)…but after all that and after Bruce L made the joke, Barrett just laughed. It was a good laugh. I really wish him well and hope he hits 40 for all the right reasons. It’s hard for major league ball players to do some good publicly without everyone being suspicious. Let’s all hope this works wonders.

Other big question marks:

5th Starter on both sides of town? Wade Miller? Wade Wilson for the boys in Blue?

The Southpaw (Southpaw or orthodox?) Denks looks like he will get the spot for the team I love. I don’t know how Denks will do

The Denks Moe, the Denks…

But I want to cheer for John Denks. Sure part of the reason is I love saying his name but there’s more – trust me.

It is getting late and I am so frigging tired. I had a bunch more comparisons when I started writing but my head has gone elsewhere. Spent way too much time revising my Religion and the Constitution lectures….deliberately not mentioned much about the class I am teaching because I now know for certain that many of my students have found this blog…YOU HEAR ME KIDS – YOU SHOULD BE STUDYING NOT READING THE DUMB BLOG

I’m not paranoid because the paranoid worry more about these things than I do.

Listening to a clip from the forthcoming Traneumentary and how John Coltrane used to pop butter rum Lifesavers.

I never expected that Trane would smell like candy.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But wasn't Rome really that debauched?

It's really the last episode for the season? Sigh. It's one of the only things the Mr. and I watch on tv (obviously after the little one's asleep). Hopefully they don't wait so long between the 2nd and 3rd seasons as they did between the 1st and 2nd.

9:23 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Here's sadder news aka goo - it is the last episode ever. The actors are all doing other things and the $$ is gone. Sorry to be the dope to tell oyu this...although I think they've got a good end point - esp if you saw last weeks and the state Antony was in...and what has become of the Big O (not Roy Orbison)

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just becuase your paranoid people are out to get you...doesn't mean there not.

Cubs are in trouble but we do have a lot of depth. It might be a lot of “ifs” in depth but it’s deep. If we get lucky one of these guys pans out. If we get real lucky more than one is decent by the end of the year and we are going into the play offs strong.

I hate the term Cubbies also and any real Cub fan wants to punch some one when they say it. I only use the term when mocking them for completely shitting all over themselves. Not a term of endearment. If big Lou is saying it as a joke, then good for him. I am not sure yet, he is a sly one. Or at least he appears to be a sly one. So that in it self makes him sly……. Meat Heads brain hurts. Stop confusing Meat Head. MEAT HEAD SMASH!

Sorry…

Cubs are in better shape than the Sox. Not because we have a better team. I don’t know that yet and I actually like the Sox’s better. I say that because the Cubs division is s joke and the Sox’s have some big dicks in there back yard. If the Sox’s come out on top they are one hell of a team. Same can’t be said of the Cubs if they beat up on the Shit Birds, Reds, Brewers and Pirates( I laugh as I type this.)

I don’t like what I see but this is still the best time to be a Cubs fan. Imagination time when we are good and making a run to win it all. Pretty soon they will actually play games and it will be over. So I will still take part in fantasy talk on how we are awesome and will be number one in the National League by the All Star break.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Michael K said...

You asked, "how can anything with an “ie” ending have a swagger?"

Answer: Fonzie.

I am actually excited to see how this season plays out. There's a lot of change so at the very least things won't be boring. I think we are just a few acquisitions away from having a really good crew.

Don't listen to me though. I have been spending way too much time watching college basketball to focus on baseball yet. I'll get back to you in mid April. Go Salukis!

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really didn’t just throw out Fonzie as a reference to swagger? Next you will be throwing out Arnold as a sensei. Oh wait wrong show that’s when he taught that total bad ass the karate kid. Or that smoking hotty Pinky Tuscadero, shutters.

It truly frightens me you are looking to Henry Winkler for a symbol of cool.

12:07 PM  
Blogger P-Dizzle said...

Uh oh

Sounds like someone just told the Fonz to "sit on it"

12:17 PM  
Blogger Moderator said...

A lot of baseball predictors have the Cubs in the top 10. Crazy.

12:45 PM  
Blogger kroushlconflict said...

A 30 year old man hanging out in the bathroom of a fast food restaurant, dispensing advice to teenagers & living in a garage apartment.. now that's Cool.

7:01 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Miss K calling out the Fonz! You are the Pinky Tuscadero (sp, Jeanz?) of my blog. I also hope that makes bigSoda the Leather Tuscadero (sp, Jeanz?) of my blog.

7:47 PM  
Blogger edP said...

MeatHead - are the Cubs in better shape than the Sox? Maybe instead of doing my normal predictions for the baseball season between Sox 'n Cubs maybe I will compare them position by position...and rather than go through all the pitchers - like bullpen vs. bulloen and maybe break that down to long relief, set up and closer...

If you mean the Cubs seem to be in better shape for this season than the Sox I say definitely yes - but beyond this year your squad has big problems even when they get A-Rod. More bullshit from my e-piehole later.

7:55 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Oh and the Sox have a stronger division to contend with but the cubs have to deal with the Cardinals and the talk is that Dave Duncan and Tony LaRoooo have figured out some of their pitching problems this year

7:57 PM  
Blogger DC Liar said...

Rome:
I'm sad that it's going, but as I said to The Girl earlier this season: "If this show keeps jumping forward at this rate, all of the gladiators will be riding Vespas by the middle of the 3rd season."

Cubs:
Bitch all you want, but you're still going to another Cubs game with me this season.
No arguments.

8:53 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Maybe we'll go to two - one "in style" although to be honest I don't think I'll ever have a better baseball as entertainment experience than that game the weekend of the airshow - phew...beautiful fucking day to be in that park in the city...everybody who knows me knows that I am not a big Chicago guy - but that was the full on Chicago baseball experience - I was so proud to be from near that part of the world that day...

But maybe we go to one game in style and one Fatty's booze cruise with some crazy cub fans from the DKB. You take one bus with crappy suspension, a beer to person ration of 12 to 1 on the way up, and a busted or at least really stinky toilet. Let the good times roll muthafucka!

9:18 PM  
Blogger edP said...

The Girl may have been disappointed that there weren't more bannana hammocks in Rome. I know I was!

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

edp we dont have to worry about Tony anymore. He will be in the klink for passing out while driving.

Wow it must be worse than I thought in Red Bird land.

Is it wrong that I actually laughed my ass off when I heard that. It's not a laughing matter but I felt real joy knowing he was going to feel real misery.

I am a very bad man.

7:55 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Maybe this is why Tony LaR has that law degree. He's gonna need it now.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home