My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

On a Hill

Mom had to work today but the boy and I had a blast. While we did not make it to the skate park to try out the new scooter, the boy got to ride the scooter on the 4th floor of ZuHall. Very cool.

He helped me do errands and then we had a nice ride in the country.

Thanks and much love to our friend from the District and the Elisenator for helping to show the boy a good time during his birthday weekend. Alex got a Gator ride and we were never in danger of reenacting the child warning pictures plastered all over the Gator. On the way back to DK, Alex and I drove through the gates of Greenwood Cemetery. I took him to see the Civil War Memorial that occupies the middle of this beautiful, final resting spot on a hill.

Alex looked at the life sized statue of a soldier and said: “What war is he from?”
Me: “The American Civil War, the one with US Grant.” (a little bit of Alex trivia, he loves US Grant…I haven’t had the heart to tell him how Grant used cocaine to help him bear the throat cancer)
Alex: “When was the Civil War?”
Me: “The 1860’s.”
Alex looked at the date on the monument, “When did they make the statue Dad?”
Me: “1913.”
Alex: “What took so long?”

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did he get one of those 2 wheel "razor" kinds? (scooter, that is). Sorry, been a crazy week, we spent the WHOLE of today emptying the 14 year old waterbed so we could 1. fix the sagging middle portion of the box and 2. turn it sideways and put it against the wall so that when the little miss (all whopping 41 1/2" of her) finally gets too tall for the toddler bed, there'll actually be room to put a real sized bed. Yeah, she'll be the only one in her kindergarten class next fall still sleeping on the same bed/mattress she came home from the hospital to. SO! Now all I have to do is get the box which has now been repacked into a bigger box with more presents added. I really do hope to ship it this week. Really! Yeesh! Just need to world to slow down long enough to make it to the post office or fed-ex or ups. Well, I'm glad it was a happy one for the lad.

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the second "box" is the one that I've been filling with stuff since November for Alex, that is :)

1:22 AM  
Blogger Michael K said...

Sounds like fun. You'll never get me in that Gator again after Santi bounced me out of it at full speed the night of Joe's bachelor party. Good times.

3:02 PM  
Blogger edP said...

The new Gator has a roll bar

5:07 PM  
Blogger Moderator said...

Cocaine? In Galena of all places!

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home