My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Audi Alteram Partem

I let the boy go into the voting booth with me. I made a point to mention that one of the judges on the ballot was former Bears place kicker Bob Thomas. He responded, "Well you have to vote 'Yes' on him."

And I did.

Our polling place was packed for a midterm and I guess that's a good thing. Those who know me know I am not the first person standing on the mountain shouting "More voters equals better government!"

Besides if the foot of that mountain was less than 100 feet from the polling place, my shouting might be construed as electioneering.

On the electioneering front, I wore a name tag that read "I'm you."

Probably would've stirred up trouble in Delaware...but in DeKalb's 4th Ward in Illinois' 14th District, people don't give a shit if I claim to be them.

Regarding the 14th District and witchcraft, Bill Foster can practice his mad sciencetry away from the peoples' freedoms.

I don't know where that came from, Foster seemed like a nice enough fellow.

Hultgren smash puny incumbent!

Sorry.

Randy Hultgren does sort of look like a white (or at least, non-green and not so Incredible Hulk)

I don't know if the last two midterms are a sign of some sort of new trend where the House (and sometimes the Senate) is going to shift back and forth.

The Tea Party movement interested me insofar as it reminded me of Al Quaeda...

...with its lack of centralized authority and support (in the form of short, scary films) from a variety of secret but well-funded sources.

Let's hear it for Citizen's United!

uh, whoever the hell they are

I hope Boehner is not going to use this opportunity to propose a bunch of shit that will never pass in the Senate or get shot down by the President just to enhance his party's chances in 2012...the odds are that is probably what is going to happen.

But every midterm when one house or the other (or both) change hands I feel some unfounded (and usually unproved) excitement. I want to believe there is a chance for different sides in America to at least take note of each other and the effect their arguments (or rhetoric) have on the American people.

I am usually proved wrong.

In looking up info for a scrapped, but theoretically funnier post on former Bear and current Justice Bob Thomas I found this phrase on the header of the Illinois Supreme Court homepage:

"Audi Alteram Partem"

"Hear the other side"

Usually there's not much chance to hear anything amid the noise of modern, public life -

But here's hoping

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home