I've Just Had Another One of My Brilliant Ideas
The United States Senate has a pair and their names are Specter and Durbin. What would their celebrity couple name be? Spurbin? Durcter? Surprisingly, the Senator from PA is the more pissed off of the two. In one of the recent candidates for the Crazy Pissed Off Scheme Hall of Fame, Sen Specter and others are tired of g bushy’s modus operandi when it comes to signing bills into law. G bushy doesn’t veto anything but he issues these signing statements when he signs the bills into law. Our current peerless leader is not the 1st Prez to do this – but he is the Prez who issues the most AND – the signing statements in the hands of g bushy have taken on a very different tone. They sound like he is saying I am going to sign this bill into law but I’ll be the one who decides when it is or is not law. I don’t usually do this, but if you consider yourself part of the law and order crowd (not the show) you should be ashamed of this guy. He has no respect for the rule of law.
Anyway it has gotten so bad that the R. Sen. From PA (Specter – who I disagree with on a variety of issues most notably embryonic stem cell research he was the first guy to stand up and clap for it loud and proud) – but he has gotten so angry that the Prez is basically mocking some of the laws brought before him by the lazy Legislature that he has decided to lead a group of lawmakers to SUE THE PRESIDENT. I assume this lawsuit would be heard by the Supreme Court and it would center around what content is in these signing statements or when g bushy can or can not make them. I love it. It will never work. It is something I would’ve thought of if I was on Da Hill. In order for the Congress to sue the Prez they have to first vote for this course of action themselves, and (this is the best part) THE PRESIDENT WOULD HAVE TO SIGN HIS OWN LAWSUIT INTO LAW!
This is g bushy’s one chance to show how clever he is. Here’s hoping he signs the act of the Congress into law but then issues the following signing statement: “Just because I’m signing this thing doesn’t mean I’m showing up for the lawsuit. Bring it on.”
- - - - - -------------------- - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - ---------------
Saw OD tonight and he’s hanging in there. Work sucks without him and I even miss our trips to Sugar Grove. What’s up with that?
Last night was a big night for Alex taking ownership of the last frontier of his toilet training. The boy is a champ. I am so proud of him. He is growing up so fast, although this last phase seemed like it was taking forever. I’m sure there will be more bumps/accidents in the toilet training road (do NOT insert Hershey Highway joke here or I’ll come through this computer and administer an asswhoopin’ on you…ow, I hurt my head) – I’m proud of the kid. This has been hard for him. I’m sure it will continue to be difficult when he turns thirty and finds out quite by accident that his father blogged about his toilet training. But hey, kaka, PDawg, olekobe, aka goo, the Sultan, jeanz and auftn, and the Aquamanskis will attest to this: if we don’t run the risk of messing up our kids we ain’t doing our job.
My work here is done.
Anyway it has gotten so bad that the R. Sen. From PA (Specter – who I disagree with on a variety of issues most notably embryonic stem cell research he was the first guy to stand up and clap for it loud and proud) – but he has gotten so angry that the Prez is basically mocking some of the laws brought before him by the lazy Legislature that he has decided to lead a group of lawmakers to SUE THE PRESIDENT. I assume this lawsuit would be heard by the Supreme Court and it would center around what content is in these signing statements or when g bushy can or can not make them. I love it. It will never work. It is something I would’ve thought of if I was on Da Hill. In order for the Congress to sue the Prez they have to first vote for this course of action themselves, and (this is the best part) THE PRESIDENT WOULD HAVE TO SIGN HIS OWN LAWSUIT INTO LAW!
This is g bushy’s one chance to show how clever he is. Here’s hoping he signs the act of the Congress into law but then issues the following signing statement: “Just because I’m signing this thing doesn’t mean I’m showing up for the lawsuit. Bring it on.”
- - - - - -------------------- - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - ---------------
Saw OD tonight and he’s hanging in there. Work sucks without him and I even miss our trips to Sugar Grove. What’s up with that?
Last night was a big night for Alex taking ownership of the last frontier of his toilet training. The boy is a champ. I am so proud of him. He is growing up so fast, although this last phase seemed like it was taking forever. I’m sure there will be more bumps/accidents in the toilet training road (do NOT insert Hershey Highway joke here or I’ll come through this computer and administer an asswhoopin’ on you…ow, I hurt my head) – I’m proud of the kid. This has been hard for him. I’m sure it will continue to be difficult when he turns thirty and finds out quite by accident that his father blogged about his toilet training. But hey, kaka, PDawg, olekobe, aka goo, the Sultan, jeanz and auftn, and the Aquamanskis will attest to this: if we don’t run the risk of messing up our kids we ain’t doing our job.
My work here is done.


26 Comments:
The prez would not be expected to approve such a bill - it would simply be returned to Congress for re-passage by a 2/3 majority.
On the latter half (Number 2?) of your post: I'm starting to take much more seriously my running joke about throwing another dollar in the Therapy Jar every time I screw up the kid. I may need a second job.
But, on the plus side, if he becomes an artist he'll have a rich source of angsty black inspiration.
By the way: Alex may benefit from knowing that even g bushy still isn't sure about the, uh, "ins and outs" of bathroom behavior - remember the note he passed to Condi at the UN?
darnit. Does anyone you work with think this lawsuit is gonna happen? There's no way right?
I'm finding it hard to get worked up about this. Someone needs to explain how it differs from a veto, which it seems to be in all but name. But hey, did anyone read Obama's latest speech about the need for Dems to court religious folk? Here's a Dem who's finally speaking to all the people all the time. Even the right wing nuts here at work thought it was good. If he runs for Prez, Hilary and the axis of evil (Clinton, Kerry, Dean) don't stand a chance.
Obama is my man. He cannot run for '08, though - it's much too soon. My money's on Obama in '12.
I haven't heard any talk about the lawsuit here yet but if anything good comes up I'll pass it along.
I really hope Hillary doesn't get it. Her moving to the right is pissing everybody off and plays right into the R's hands. I can hear the moronic chanting of, "Flip-flop!" already. Ugh.
It might almost be worth the D's losing the White House in '08 for the possibility of Obama in 2012. The R's couldn't put a worse crew in than the group that's in there now.
But what if a Dem wins in '08? Then BO can't run until '16 because the incumbent will run for reelection in '12? The shine will definitely have worn off by then, plus he'll have a career full of flip-floppy Senate votes to live down (a la Yacht Boy). NoSiree, gotta strike now while he's still got everyone wetting their pants. There has to be a Plan B if Hilary stumbles, and he's the best of the rest. You can't go negative on him either because he's clean. He'll bring decorum to the process which will allow the nominee to emerge stronger instead of beat up. Can someone give me some negatives? Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't see how this will hurt him or the party.
Some negatives I would expect to be raised if he ran for '08:
1. People (voters) don't trust him yet because he's a freshman senator and hasn't shown any skills like international diplomacy/cowboying.
2. Congress doesn't trust him yet because he's a freshman senator and hasn't quite learned the ropes yet of back-scratching & compromise and his co-workers don't know yet whether he'll play nice with them.
3. He's black(ish).
4. He was a prof at U. of C. law school, for cryin' out loud - he must be a Fire-Breathing Liberal! Run away, run away!
I'm starting to think Sen McC has the best chance of anyone in any party for '08 - which may actually help Obama for '12.
Jeanz, the points you articulated hold merit, they definitely doesn't help his chances, plus he's got no $$$ (Hilary already has $92m). Still, I don't see how this hurts his career or the party on the whole. You gotta wonder if his race would preclude him from capturing the swing voters. If running and losing accomplish one thing, it would serve to raise his profile in the party and help lessen the stranglehold the out of touch northeastern liberals have on the party. McCain: If it weren't for his recent fellating of Jerry Falwell, I could've given him a serious look. I like him personally. After the hatchet job Bush did on him in the 2000 primaries, the least Bush can do is help him this time around. Then again, who wants to bet Jeb makes a run??
I find McC disturbingly slippery - it could go slimy any minute. I just don't trust the guy, not even to help out his own buddies, much less me.
As for Jeb - all I can do is shudder.
I hear all the arguments - all good, all equal merit. One issue remains, if Obama can grab the "American Idol" contingency that is old enough to vote, he's in. It's all about marketing and he's got some great PR already. Realistically, I think he'll wait it out, though.
Incidentally, are you guys beginning to smell the rhetoric already? You've got discussion revolving around how it will be impossible to give a withdrawl date. The fact that this has become a topic du jour makes me think that either the R's are going to try to save face by wrapping this up before G Bushy is out of office OR make the R party the key to the lock for the future. "The Dems don't have a plan." (Heard that before?)
I hate politics. I hope they figure out a way to text-message votes by '08.
I don't think Obama has the pujols to run--but he should, in '08. The "unknowns," being called a lightweight--these will work in his favor because his charisma and spot-on instincts will do the heavy lifting. He's got electoral skills no other known democrat (besides the Great Clinto) has.
Once the taint of the Senate is fully upon him, you can kiss his chances goodbye, as he'll either be too compromised or seen as too liberal.
Re the American Idol contingency - I think our good Senator would win the presidency if we could all text our vote for president.
Obama should run for Gov'nor and then set his sights on the white house. If I'm correct, no President has ever been elected in my lifetime - ie. forever - without holding a federal or state executive position first. Just a thought.
The biggest problem concerning Obama: The guy hasn't done a damn thing out here in DC.
He's been too busy mugging for cameras to spend any substantive time on the Senate floor or in committee. I have several friends in Durbin's office who have written the guy off as a joke. An actual quote: "We should let 'BO' know that Senate floor action is televised, then he might actually show up."
I don't know about our good Senator from Illinois and what sort of president he would make - if it makes any difference, ever since Durbin led the charge for an amendment doing away with the electoral colleges (which is a more accurate term) I've sort of written him off as a joke. The people I met who worked for Durbin the first time around (way back when KJ was involved with the DeKalb County Dem Party) - those folks seemed very smart.
I may blog about my worthless thoughts on Sen BO at some point...
I bet I am the only idiot who watched all three debates between the Sen and Mr. Keyes (ok me and Ron Majors)
Ron Majors was kind of stuck. You, on the other hand...
Yeah, just like every other mistake in my life - I've got no damned excuse
Nobody's fault but mine
and Pa Staples
DC, what would you have BO do out there? The Repubs have a stranglehold on everything, so it's unfair to castigate him an ineffective. He's doing what he can---speaking to the issues he feels passionate about and getting up to speed on foreign policy. Like PDawg said, we're dealing with a guy with above average charisma and political intelligence. If he can reignite the fire in the Dems by speechifying, it may be the most valuable thing he can accomplish in the current political climate. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.
The Rs in the senate have a 10 seat majority, and the North-Eastern republicans (Chaffee, Snowe, Collins, etc.) tend to side with the D's frequently. It's far from a stranglehold. Granted, most "trouble" bills that have left the Senate have been dismantled in the House, or in Conference. But, still...
For BO to refuse to take any substantive action on the floor, and instead work the media angle is frustrating for Ds. They see him as too worried about a future presidential run to get his hands dirty in the Senate. He doesn't want a former decision to come back and bite him in the ass (see: Kerry).
BO is the senatorial TO; unless his team is winning and letting him make all the star plays, he'd rather sit on the bench (or at home).
The guy's a punk.
If his colleagues despise him so much, why are they all dying to get him to come campaign for them? Oh, right, because they need him to shore up their image as spineless twits. If he's the opposite of whatever they are, I say gimme more. Methinks you're holding him to an unattainable standard in a Repub controlled town.
Shouldn't a pres hopeful be able to live up to almost unattainable standards?
Who thought Ann Richards could be beaten in TX? There is a reason Rov Rov Rov is such a despised dickwad - he's fucking goood!
Who thought a schmucko from Arknsnsn would beat the Liberator of Kwuaitttt?
and these are average to less than average examples...
Who thought Wilbur Woodrow could go from President of Princeton to wartime president?
Presidential hopefuls do such things all the fucking time. DC can hold him to this standard and even ridicule BA's chances because he is already starting from a deficit position...being a Senator just like Sen. Rodman. Not a good place from which to run for president...we've talked about this - I think?
I think what you're trying to say is that Presidents come from all different backgrounds and circumstances, which is true. A combination of timing, personal appeal, and luck. All I'm trying to say about BO is that his political intelligence, charisma, and a certain moral rectitude (relatively speaking) make him a strong candidate. With all these guys, each was the right man at the right time.
In each of your examples, the confluence of luck, timing, and political skill factored into their success. The right man at the right time, so to speak. In the leadership vacuum which is the Dem party, BO might fit this description.
Sure, let's see him do something with an opportunity...uh did you just see Uribe go yard?
Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
watches texas state parks camping parental control camping Headsets inc
Post a Comment
<< Home