My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Winter Sucks Ass

To my friends who are SOX fans:

Do not be heavy of heart as we watch these last two weeks. The replays from last night’s loss to the Tigers are on as I write this. It was a nightmare to see what Frank did over the weekend. And now Maggs w/ two homers…

Maggs was my favorite Sox player when he was on the team (and one of my all time favorites). Every time Alex and I saw the Tigers at sOx park, I would cheer Maggs when he came to the plate (not if he got a hit of course). The SOX could not resign Maggs – it was not a mistake letting him go. They also could not resign Frank (certainly not for the money he was worth after last year which was shit – that’s what the A’s are paying him). Good for both of those guys doing well.

Sox fans, we couldn’t have it better these last two years and please don’t forget it. Don’t give me any of that shit that the SOX aren’t playing with fire or swagger. You don’t win baseball games with those things…you win with timely hitting and by NOT hitting into 3 double plays and no amount of swagger can create or prevent those things.

Also remember, when the SOX made their stretch run last year there were all these question marks with the Bears so everyone who chose to, could enjoy the World Series run…this year when things look tough for the SOX we can at least enjoy what the Bears are doing at the beginning of the season (seeing Rex play QB like it’s a video game).

Sadly, this is the way the SOX have ended most seasons in the last ten years. The homers have run dry (you can only win so many games with three run home runs). But one thing we can carry with us is that they have been in it most seasons and now two years in a row. Coming off the WS victory I know a lot of folks’ expectations were high. Mine weren’t up there (because I remembered what helped the Sox last year wasn’t big boppers as much as guys having career years – Neil Cotts – Cliff Polite – Scottie Podz)…and other stuff that I’ve talked about so much that it is pointless to repeat.

I’ve loved this year’s team to because I think they’ve faced adversity with determination (and without some of the weapons and advantages they had last year). They are battling two teams in what most people agree is the best division in baseball.

I am not burying the Sox because nothing is over yet. I still believe miracles are possible, because this team has pulled off many of them – even this year. They trailed and came back to win in every game I attended this year. This is just a secret note to my SOX fan friends. Don’t let these struggles dampen your love for this team – they are still worth loving. Don’t let the words of others get you down. We may only have two weeks of baseball left. Let’s enjoy ok – winter sucks ass.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are correct - winter does suck ass. This has been a frustrating year for Sox fandumb, especially watching arguably the best starting rotation in MLB stink things up so often.

Seems like Podz is a little slower this year eh? hmmmm...

7:16 AM  
Blogger Moderator said...

I buried the Sox officially on Saturday. Last night - the double plays made me sick.

9:17 AM  
Blogger bigsoda said...

Ummm... Ed? If you want to send a secret note, posting it on the internet may not be the best idea.

I remember when the North Side had, arguably, the best rotation in baseball. That was before spring training when limbs started falling off. As a matter of fact, underperforming pitching, lack of timely hitting, bullpen sucking... You guys sound like you live north of 290!

Get ready for an Oakland-Mets WS. Although, since this blog is secret, I feel comfortable admitting I'm kinda pulling for the Dodgers.

11:18 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Dodgers are a great story bigSoda. OleKobe - the SOX had the best starting rotation last year...this is just a sign that when it comes to baseball and backs - no one really knows anything - Garland has been the glue this year - Jose went from being touted as Cy Young (not by me, although I love Jose) to a guy with a bad hip and giving away his arm angles Freddie G is Reverse Dracula - great when the sun's up, when it's night meh...#56 MB, may be my favorite WhiteSock of all time but he is getting too much of the strike zone and getting pounded. Javier is Cy Young 1st through the 5th Inning, and me from the 6th Inning on...

But I hope none of us who love the SOX go through gut wrenching agony watching baseball - love the SOX, I wish they could hit more bases clearing doubles or score more than one run with 2 outs...if the Sox go down to 6 games out - I'm going to try and get tix for Alex and I for the last home game (they will be "getable" then) - and go to cheer the hell out of them leading up to the last out.

Finally bigSoda, my blog is sort of like a secret note.

Best of luck to all of us.

GO SOX!

4:04 PM  
Blogger edP said...

I think I meant re-sign Frank and Maggs

9:26 PM  
Blogger Meat Head said...

They are still playing baseball? With the Beloved Bears playing I didn't notice.

Actually I have been on strike from baseball since about July. Now you can borrow our Cubs saying.

Next Year! It's the best time for any Cubs fan. It only hurts once they start playing there brand of baseball.

Sucktastic!

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home