My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Our Friend Meat Head

Our friend and cub fan MeatHead just reminded me that the last three or four World Series’ have been torture for cub fans. Consider:

’03 – The Marlins who…well we all remember how they won no need to rub it in, then they went on to beat the Yankees in the same way the cubs would’ve beat them – they out-pitched the overpaid (in all the wrong places) Yankee squad. The cubs definitely had better pitching in 2003 than the yanks, they were on their way to proving that when the cub and the mighty Yanks met in the middle of that season. I was hanging out with cub fans who were hanging on every pitch during the Wood v. Rocket game. They acted like the cubs won the WS when they won that one.

,ok that was just confusing

’04 – The Red Sox. The only team more famous (and sorry cub fans – A TEAM MUCH MORE IMPORTANT IN THE WORLD OF BASEBALL AND CURSES) for not winning the World Series, and in fact famous for coming close and losing in such heart-wrenching fashion had finally won it. It was so inspiring that baseball players from around the league made pilgrimages to watch the RedSox dispose of the Redbirds in that four game anti-climax that was the ’04 series. Crede and his pals were there. So many great ballplayers have come from the Show Me State. Crede and a few other WhiteSOX have said that watching the red sox do what they did in ’04 inspired them. Then to see the story end so close to where they grew up…we all know how Crede played in 2005 -He put to rest all the doubters, Joe Crede showed that (for at least the next two years) that he could play 3rd base at the highest level, and more importantly he proved he was a champion. Oh, this was supposed to be about the Red Sox. It all comes back to the '05 RIGHT SOX for me doesn't it. So after ’04 the teams that were famous for World Series droughts were down to 2 and the teams famous for curses was down to one. Had to suck in some way for cub fans to know that the minute the Red Sox won they instantly became the baseball club with the most famous curse. The White SOX, nobody outside of SOX and cub fans had any idea how long it had been for them, and the only curse the SOX have is sharing Chicago with the Cubs. I mean that in the nicest possible way, if that is possible.

’05 – THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX, WORLD CHAMPIONS. I don’t have to say much about how this could hurt cub fans. All I know is a cub fan friend of mine, who is a gentle soul and as sweet as they come…it was reported that after the last out vs. the CrapStros – this guy whipped a shot glass through a mirror at the bar where some of us have been known to frequent.

’06 – The Cardz. I don’t understand the rivalry between the cubs and redbirds. Just to give cub fans perspective I don’t think most baseball fans across America care much or see much in that rivalry. They’ve been featured on Sunday night ESPN games a few times but even the hyperbole network didn’t waste half the breath or spin than they would on a RedSox Yankee game in friggin May. But cub fans I know hate the Cardinals with all the fire of the heating ducts at hell's equator. Huh? So out of respect for what cub fans say is a big rival, the Cards have to be on the list. If it makes you guys feel any better, my kid can't stand the Cards either. They beaned our SOX a bunch of times in the middle of last year, and remember my Alex is a Tiger fan as well as being the coolest little WhiteSOX fan.

So tell me cub fans, which of these World Series champs was the worst or most painful? If I were a cub fan there is no doubt it would be the Marlins. To go through all that and then see those douche bags win it all. I’d never stop saying fuck about that.

MeatHead and other cub fans, don’t worry. Your pain will end soon. Z guaranteed it.

6 Comments:

Blogger santipissed said...

I actually liked seeing the marlins run all over the yanks. Becket was awesome that series and so was the tandem of pierre and castillo....not to mind lee and cabrera. they had everything go their way in '03.

I loved watching th Red sox stick to the yanks the following year and stick it in the cards hole.

The White Stockings are another matter...I could not get myself to cheer for them even though i watched evrey playoff game they played. I think I hate Guillen more that anybody in that organization while AJ is a very close second. guillen let hugo chavez kiss the trophy as if Venezuela owned the damn thang. What was that? I don't go to Citgo because of Guillen.

'06 with the cards was alright...they had a good team and they came from the sme division...they played very well. larussa might be a dick but he knows baseball...

It all comes down to loving the game and your team. my team happens to have a poorly run organazation for the past 100 years or so. The game is still played in October and i root for teams as they move along...remember when Pujols hit that blast off of Lidge in '05...Lidge has not been the same since...he's afraid to pitch....same thing happened to Mitch williams.
Baseball rocks even if my team is not there....i do plan on takig in some Rangers games in april...That Young guy can play

8:18 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Nice mention of the Lidge moment. The Game Six Pujols homer was majestic. I think it is still going. Remember the look on fucking Petit's face - "Oh shit"

I'm glad the RedBirds did not pull it out in game 7 that year...much happier the SOX faced the Stros.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry guys but a little bussed and the sysetem is fightin my post.

Cards was the icing on the cake for me. I would think that the way you think of the twins I think of the red birds.

For me that wase the finaly straw. I still watch the Sox's in secret I just won't admit it to anyone.

I still can't wait for baseball but the fights were pretty kick ass tonight.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the lack of comments. I had both my mother-in-law and mother at the house this week end.

I think if I have girls I will shoot myself. Like herding fucking cats just to go to fucking lunch.

Comments to follow.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now I hate the Sox. I got all stoked for this weekend and that is what the Cub’s give us! It is going to be one long year.

I made the mistake of sneaking out and watching that crap of a game with a Sox fan. I think next time I will drink drain-o instead.

I really want all my house guest gone.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I didn't reread my post from Sat until now. I didn't even know I posted them.

Friends shouldn't let friends post drunk.

Curse you Kentucky for making your sweet sweet booze.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home