My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Not That Alfred E.

Kim and I were flipping channels tonight – something I don’t do very often but tonight I am overjoyed that I did. Saw both Senator O and Senator McC’s speeches at the Al Smith Dinner. Al Smith was the first major party Catholic candidate for the presidency. More on Mr. Smith here.

The one rule for speakers at the foundation’s dinner is you have to be funny. I do not want to list or analyze the jokes either candidate made. That is not my point. But seeing both of them rocking the dais, smiling at each other and at themselves made me love my country and wish my boy was awake to watch with his mom and I.

Not that it is all about me, but one of the characters in my story (almost finished enough to put together and have for folks as an early/weird-ass printing at an upcoming show)…Georgie’s uncle talks about working for the Al Smith presidential bid and working with Smith and the folks responsible for building the Empire State Building. It is the most impenetrable part of the book and still needs revisions but if I get this right this could be a satisfying part of the story.

Enough of that crap. Loved the speeches and even Hillary laughed at herself. She should still give every one of her campaign leaders a kick in the bag or box, whatever the case may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home