Skip to My Lou
So far the reviews for the re-release of NOTHING AND THEN SOME have been mixed. Some people say we should burn all the copies – while others think it would be better to bury the discs in elephant feces…then set them on fire. The second option seems like a lot of work. Even Cousin Mike e-mailed me the other day and said that what shocked and saddened him was the fact that the bizarre instrumental freakouts were more musical than the alleged songs on the album. What’re ya gonna do? What’re ya…new?
No Century of Progress practice last night – lil El had a fever…aw, her first fever. Dev called me and I said: “Dude, you can’t miss this - her first fever, rectal thermometers – now that’s some good parenting.” Devin and I also talked about the first CD single (which will be out within weeks whether we know it or not). I want this order:
1. dil
2. Norwegian Wood (yes it’s that Norwegian Wood – I figure the guy who wrote it is dead – we don’t expect any trouble)
3. Any Questions? (the recording we did w/ ADF awhile back. Sure it was on the first bD CD single but I want this song and this recording on the first thing we release with this band. I think I did a whole blog about AQ? Before – but I’m gonna friggin’ say it again – this is our best live to tape performance f’in EVER!...and Devin’s solo at the end just wraps the whole thing up – it is the perfect way to say good bye to the people the song says good bye too – I may be the wrong person to talk about this because I love guitar sooo much – but I really find that sound and that solo – moving – BLAH BLAH BLAH
shut up ed)
4. a live track that I am going to keep like a secret (it’s not by built2spill)
The point is - I need to talk to the other guys about this so they can talk me down off the ledge.
Alex and I had a fun morning yesterday – which reminds me – don’t expect too many posts on Thursday. I spend the mornings with my boy and teach afternoon classes right after I drop him off at GB’s – besides, everyone can use a day off from me. If it was only that simple for me. We read the first Doc Ock comic from the Essential Amazing Spiderman, we played rescue heroes, we did errands for Momma and we stopped at Borders to hide books that Alex wants to buy later. I picked up the new Stones record. I can’t wait to read the comments on this one. Let me just say that I have an excuse for this. I am getting so much good music from my friends’ mix tapes and other stuff they send, or send me home with (thanks again Mr. J and ChrisB – my computer’s street cred increases exponentially with every track you send me)…but I get so much good music from sources like this that I can afford to waste my money on guilty pleasures a la this Stones record, American Idiot….stuff like that.
No Century of Progress practice last night – lil El had a fever…aw, her first fever. Dev called me and I said: “Dude, you can’t miss this - her first fever, rectal thermometers – now that’s some good parenting.” Devin and I also talked about the first CD single (which will be out within weeks whether we know it or not). I want this order:
1. dil
2. Norwegian Wood (yes it’s that Norwegian Wood – I figure the guy who wrote it is dead – we don’t expect any trouble)
3. Any Questions? (the recording we did w/ ADF awhile back. Sure it was on the first bD CD single but I want this song and this recording on the first thing we release with this band. I think I did a whole blog about AQ? Before – but I’m gonna friggin’ say it again – this is our best live to tape performance f’in EVER!...and Devin’s solo at the end just wraps the whole thing up – it is the perfect way to say good bye to the people the song says good bye too – I may be the wrong person to talk about this because I love guitar sooo much – but I really find that sound and that solo – moving – BLAH BLAH BLAH
shut up ed)
4. a live track that I am going to keep like a secret (it’s not by built2spill)
The point is - I need to talk to the other guys about this so they can talk me down off the ledge.
Alex and I had a fun morning yesterday – which reminds me – don’t expect too many posts on Thursday. I spend the mornings with my boy and teach afternoon classes right after I drop him off at GB’s – besides, everyone can use a day off from me. If it was only that simple for me. We read the first Doc Ock comic from the Essential Amazing Spiderman, we played rescue heroes, we did errands for Momma and we stopped at Borders to hide books that Alex wants to buy later. I picked up the new Stones record. I can’t wait to read the comments on this one. Let me just say that I have an excuse for this. I am getting so much good music from my friends’ mix tapes and other stuff they send, or send me home with (thanks again Mr. J and ChrisB – my computer’s street cred increases exponentially with every track you send me)…but I get so much good music from sources like this that I can afford to waste my money on guilty pleasures a la this Stones record, American Idiot….stuff like that.


4 Comments:
Yeah, "Mr. J" has me wondering where the Dwarves have been all my life (I mean besides being stalwart compadres in geeky Role playing games). Remind me next time I see the initial "F" in a song title to preview it BEFORE the kiddies audition it and bob their heads (not sure if theirs is a "metal" head bob or a "punk" head bob). The song passed unnoticed, by the way, so rock on, children!
Chris B is a man of consumate taste who turned me on to Slint, solo David Byrne, and light consensual bondage, and I wonder if he has it in him to take up the mission "Mr.J" executes with such demented aplomb.
I've been thinking of doing a mix myself and when I can figure a focus for it, I'm gonna give it a whack and go ePissy.
You go - I'm the worst music fan in the world...i'm the Blanch DuBois of record collecting...
"I've always relied on the kindness of strangers - and you guys."
I have a lot of problems with the mixes. Ususally it is because there is not a common thread for all the songs but rather a stream of consciousness that leads from one song to the other that is not always very apparent. Following a Son Volt song (Drown) with a track by Red House Painters (Shock Me) seems fine but when that leads to The Rave Ups (Positively Lost) people end up wondering what is going on.
Sorry.
You really should read the liner notes on my blog before putting in any of the mix CDs:
Dwarves - FEFU
from the 2004 album "The Dwarves Must Die"
If you play the Gigantor cover for your children, please make sure to turn of the CD player before this gem kicks in... For good measure you should probably also douse said CD player with Holy Water, bash it with a bat, and shoot it several times.
If you're thinking of picking up some Dwarves albums I'd start with the later albums "Come Clean" or "Are Young and Good Looking" and then work back. Make sure to hide the cover art from innocent eyes.
Post a Comment
<< Home