My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

Uncommon thoughts. Unsolicited, unsubstantiated, and unedited.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

August Twenty-Four

I should save this post for the 24th of August but I will probably forget it by then.

After all it is nothing like the 5th of November.

I watched this dopey thing about Alaric and the sacking of Rome.

Not to be confused with Tony Hawk, the Old Dog and their sac-tap off the dozer.

So August 24, 410 AD was the date when Alaric sacked Rome, supposedly because he was passed over for promotion.

This reminds me, I am coming up for review at work in the next few weeks.

I better ready my Goths for battle (or at least add My Chemical Romance’s Helena to my iPod).

I watched the thing and wondered about the significance of August 24. The date was in my brain for some other reason.

My birthday?

No.

My cousin Mike’s birthday? He is a Leo but no.

My anniversary?

Don’t be stupid. I know all my anniversaries with KJ.

First kiss – April 3, 1991.

First Marriage – July 11, 1998

Marriage in the Catholic Church blessed by the wonderful Fr. Steve Knox – August 5, 2000.

So August 24th – WTF?!?!?

I gave up and wiki-ed it.

This is some fucked up shit. August 24th is also the date that British (and yes, even some Canadian forces) burned the White House, the Treasury and generally fucked up Washington DC (ostensibly as revenge for what we did to York/Toronto – but I think the Brits were still pissed about us being their Vietnam…apologies to George Carlin)

Now Washington then (and even today) is not the same as the Eternal City. Rome ruled the world and stood sackless (sorry again) for a lot longer than we have (and probably longer than we will). But I thought it weird that the famous sack of Rome was literally the SAME FRIGGIN DAY the WhiteHouse was burned in the War of 1812 (technically 1814)

Ok, there is my useless contribution to the bloggosphere for today.

9 Comments:

Blogger Moderator said...

Thanks for your wikiality. 8/24 also is my daughter's birthday.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So should we wait until 8/24 to nuke Tehran?

9:16 AM  
Blogger edP said...

Grant, at least something nice happened on 8/24. Well, I guess the sacking of Rome was nice for Alaric and his friends.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Lady Di )O( said...

Yes, but what is the Corrodium deduction?

11:06 AM  
Blogger edP said...

The Corrodium-III deduction is an incentive used by large manufacturers who want to limit their use of class-III decay toxins such as corrodium ...

I haven't had enough Tab to confirm this.

3:32 PM  
Blogger olddogdk said...

Don't discount the importance of my sack-tap off the dozer. It is possible that I might have performed on on that day.

As for the possibility of promotion at work - what, are you gonna move your desk to the attic? That's the only upward mobility left at that place!

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely off topic here.... Ed... check your/your wife's hotmail email. Time sensitive email, NOT an emergency though... just a tiny bit time sensitive

9:58 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Were we ever on topic here?

10:58 PM  
Blogger edP said...

Someone tell me what the topic is!

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home