Ubi Caritas
I started to sober up right before communion.
Let’s just say Saturday had its ups and downs.
DOWN: We followed up on some car trouble we’ve been having by taking the wagon to one of the Ford dealers in town. I knew it was bad because the mechanic who first looked at it didn’t even try to rip us off. He said, “You better take it to the dealer.” The dealer held true to form – he tried to screw and leave us for dead. When he gave me the litany of repairs and total charges I said “My wife will call you. I don’t know anything about cars.” Kim told the guy “For that amount of money we would like to get a 2nd opinion.” When we first brought the car in, I agreed with the dealer that we would pay $90 for the standard diagnostics they do when a check engine light is on. The guy then told Kim on the phone that to take the car we would first have to pay $132. That was a deal breaker. Kim said we are picking up the car and taking it somewhere else. Kim also gave me license to express her dissatisfaction with the guy at the dealer garage.
UP: I got to tell the dealer that we were taking the car because they made us feel like they had us by the short and curlies and that my wife was super fucking pissed. I told the dealer that I agreed to the $90 diagnostic. What the fuck was the other $42 bucks for? He said “I’ve got to pay these guys. They work hard on these cars and they are in on a Saturday. They tested the pressure here.” I said: “That should be included with the $90 diagnostic. They wrote down something here about testing pressure. If you’re telling me to feel for these guys because they get paid $45 bucks for writing down that they tested the pressure I DON’T! They seem to be doing pretty fucking good. I wish I could get $45 bucks for testing pressure. My doctor is probably going to get another $42 bucks for checking my pressure. This bullshit is gonna end up costing me $84 bucks!” The guy said “Sir, you don’t need to use that abusive language.” I said “I haven’t said anything bad about you or these guys. I said they were doing pretty well for themselves. If you’re telling me I can’t say ‘fuck,’ ‘shit, and ‘piss’ in your garage no wonder this shit costs so much. Your garage is too fucking hoity toity for me.” The Ford dealership staff that had been inconspicuously following our conversation (I guess it wasn’t too inconspicuous cause they were detected by me) they started to laugh. Anyway the dealership garage guy said he would drop all the charges to which I responded, “No. We will pay $90 because that’s what we agreed to. We stand by what we say. There may be something instructive in that.” Ok maybe I enjoy letting off steam a bit too much. But I never called the guy a crook, a fuckface or said anything bad about him personally. I made him feel uncomfortable but hell, I got my $90 worth and quiet frankly left everyone laughing.
DOWN: Alex and I went to WalMart (sorry Chris) to see Spider-Man, but he was at lunch.
UP: When Spidey came back we watched him from afar. Alex didn’t want to have the WalMart lady take his picture with Spider-Man. He just wanted to look at the superhero. He was happy so I was happy. At one point I broke into my best (worst?) J. Jonah Jameson and said to Alex “I don’t blame you kid. I wouldn’t want my picture with that wall-crawling weasel!” Alex said, “Dad, you’re embarrassing me in front of Spider-Man.”
DOWN: Couldn’t see 300 with Bill Garver.
DOWN: Went to a going away/birthday party for some friends of ours. Alex’s friend Ben and his family are moving to Wisconsin and we are sad to see them go.
UP: We are happy for them because it is a great opportunity and it was a swell party. Alex plays so well with these kids and they all seem to get along swimmingly…even when they are not swimming.
DOWN: I drank too much during the day today (after coming back from WalMart and then at this party) and forgot to eat breakfast or lunch because I had to deal with car bullshit this morning and it dragged on to the early afternoon. Then I didn’t have time to sit down before the party so I drank (sort of a lot) while I did some shit around the house, took a shower and got ready to leave…then drank at the birthday party. I had the presence of mind to ask Kim to do the driving.
UP: We decided to go to 4:30 Mass after the birthday party and the place was packed. Then we remembered this was going to be a special mass celebrated by our old pastor Fr. Steve Knox. It was wonderful to see him and hear those words of God’s charity, forgiveness and love from him. I’ve written about Fr. Steve before and I will say more about his most recent homily in another post. For now it was the perfect way to clam down and wrap up the ups and downs I had experienced up to this point in the day. Sorry.
UP: Alex, Kim and I were in the front row hence we were the first to receive Holy Communion. There is a definite correlation between time of arrival at Mass and proximity to the altar – the later you are the closer you get. Anyway we went back to our seats and Alex was looking through the seasonal hymnal with great purpose. He handed it to me opened up to #4 Ubi Caritas. Ubi Caritas was our Communion Hymn. It was the one the choir was currently singing. I said a bit too loudly: “What, you speak Latin now?” Alex: “No daddy.” Me: “How did you know this was our song?” Alex: “The singing lady said we were singing #4.”
Damn straight. I love the fact that the boy tries to solve problems even though he can’t read a dead language or English, which is closing in on being a dead language as well. At the very least, if the boy never learns to read he will still be a success as a functionally illiterate American citizen. Hell the way things have been going the boy’s on the fast track to be president. Sorry. He’ll learn to read. I am actually more proud of him that he can figure shit out without being able to read all that many words.
Just a little more on my SOXcubs comparisons. I realized when I talked about starting pitching as a whole I forgot to mention the WHiteSOx “big spring signing” 33 Javier Vazquez (yes you can sign someone you already have, I bet the Bears wish they could say that about Lance Briggs). You can’t talk about the SOX v. cubs pitching without thinking about the guys both teams overpaid for this offseason/Spring. I said that Lily might be worth his money (in relative baseball terms) and I am standing by that. Well, initially I laughed but now I think I know what 10 mildo means in today’s MLB pitching market. I think the SOX and the cubs will each have a surprise in their starting pitching - or they will surprise us as fans this year. SOX fans are down and rightfully so, on Vazquez. Last year he was the best 41/2 – 5 inning pitcher I ever saw. It was like he had no-hit stuff and then Whamm-0! He’d get pounded for 5 runs in the 5th or the 6th (or 5 in the 5th and 5 more in the 6th if Ozzie thought his bullpen was tired or not capable of bailing out JV) and he’d be gone. The explanation for this seems to be (or that seemed to be) Vazquez came from the National League no one could figure him out the first time through the rotation then once the other team figured him out he was infinitely more beatable. One of two things will happen this year, teams will have a better book on Vazquez and torch him pretty badly right out of the gate and the SOX will have big problems, or Vazquez will figure out what happens with his arm angle or release points, manipulate those things and will be able to go 6 or 7 strong, and with the improvements in the SOX bullpen Vazquez will win between 15-18 this year. Remember I said SOX fans and my expectations for Vazquez should be low but I am betting that he will be a surprise. Surprise for the cubs pitching, look for 52 Wade Miller to be recovered from his surgery (from a year and a half ago I think). Nobody has any expectations for this guy. Lou slipped up this morning (or yesterday, I forget) and basically said that Miller would be the 5th starter. He is going to pitch against some pretty shitty competition in the National League Central and I think he will benefit from some strong run support. You combine crappy pitching (from other NL Central teams) with that cub lineup and it could be an easy ride for Miller this year. Those who followed the greatest Chicago baseball season in living memory know that Jon Garland benefited from being the 4th or 5th starter against Indian, Tiger and Royal staffs that sucked eggs in 2005. The cubs may make me look stupid, but if you were to ask me Miller or Vazquez who has a better chance to, uh…do better…I’d say Miller and ADVANTAGE cubs.
It may seem like I am spending a lot of time with pitching comparisons, catching, and you will see me talk about defense up the middle and defense in general before I get to lineups or homers or managers or anything – that’s because for either team to make the playoffs – NO MATTER HOW BAD THEIR DIVISION IS – they are going to need pitching and defense. You do not make the playoffs if you cannot catch the ball. I guess the cubs disproved that in 2003 and really the last time they made it in 1998 because their last two “successful” seasons have been predicated on waiting for the 3 run home run and having the other teams in the race collapse. But to MeatHead, and now Devin (they’ve both predicted that the cubs are going to the playoffs, or at least both are convinced that the cubs are far more likely to go than my beloved SOX) – your team may seem like it has the easiest path to the playoffs but if they do not catch the ball they will not wind up as the tallest midgets in the NL Central. Mark my words, the cubs have defensive problems up the Ying Yang and more importantly, up the middle of the field. I think Z may finally show that he can sort of field his position this year – YES EVEN STUD PITCHERS HAVE TO FIELD AND THROW THE BALL TO THE CORRECT BASE – but I will have a lot to say about what the cubs have at short, 2nd and centerfield in the next few posts. I am not saying that the cubs will not make the playoffs, but if they do, guys are going to have to outplay their track records in the field. And folks, there is a reason why people who know some shit about baseball (a lot more than I do) look at a guy’s track record. They tend to do what they’ve done in the past once they get to a certain stage in their career. Much more on this crap later.
Proverbs 19:21…that’s one hell of a typo Mr. Inglesias.
Let’s just say Saturday had its ups and downs.
DOWN: We followed up on some car trouble we’ve been having by taking the wagon to one of the Ford dealers in town. I knew it was bad because the mechanic who first looked at it didn’t even try to rip us off. He said, “You better take it to the dealer.” The dealer held true to form – he tried to screw and leave us for dead. When he gave me the litany of repairs and total charges I said “My wife will call you. I don’t know anything about cars.” Kim told the guy “For that amount of money we would like to get a 2nd opinion.” When we first brought the car in, I agreed with the dealer that we would pay $90 for the standard diagnostics they do when a check engine light is on. The guy then told Kim on the phone that to take the car we would first have to pay $132. That was a deal breaker. Kim said we are picking up the car and taking it somewhere else. Kim also gave me license to express her dissatisfaction with the guy at the dealer garage.
UP: I got to tell the dealer that we were taking the car because they made us feel like they had us by the short and curlies and that my wife was super fucking pissed. I told the dealer that I agreed to the $90 diagnostic. What the fuck was the other $42 bucks for? He said “I’ve got to pay these guys. They work hard on these cars and they are in on a Saturday. They tested the pressure here.” I said: “That should be included with the $90 diagnostic. They wrote down something here about testing pressure. If you’re telling me to feel for these guys because they get paid $45 bucks for writing down that they tested the pressure I DON’T! They seem to be doing pretty fucking good. I wish I could get $45 bucks for testing pressure. My doctor is probably going to get another $42 bucks for checking my pressure. This bullshit is gonna end up costing me $84 bucks!” The guy said “Sir, you don’t need to use that abusive language.” I said “I haven’t said anything bad about you or these guys. I said they were doing pretty well for themselves. If you’re telling me I can’t say ‘fuck,’ ‘shit, and ‘piss’ in your garage no wonder this shit costs so much. Your garage is too fucking hoity toity for me.” The Ford dealership staff that had been inconspicuously following our conversation (I guess it wasn’t too inconspicuous cause they were detected by me) they started to laugh. Anyway the dealership garage guy said he would drop all the charges to which I responded, “No. We will pay $90 because that’s what we agreed to. We stand by what we say. There may be something instructive in that.” Ok maybe I enjoy letting off steam a bit too much. But I never called the guy a crook, a fuckface or said anything bad about him personally. I made him feel uncomfortable but hell, I got my $90 worth and quiet frankly left everyone laughing.
DOWN: Alex and I went to WalMart (sorry Chris) to see Spider-Man, but he was at lunch.
UP: When Spidey came back we watched him from afar. Alex didn’t want to have the WalMart lady take his picture with Spider-Man. He just wanted to look at the superhero. He was happy so I was happy. At one point I broke into my best (worst?) J. Jonah Jameson and said to Alex “I don’t blame you kid. I wouldn’t want my picture with that wall-crawling weasel!” Alex said, “Dad, you’re embarrassing me in front of Spider-Man.”
DOWN: Couldn’t see 300 with Bill Garver.
DOWN: Went to a going away/birthday party for some friends of ours. Alex’s friend Ben and his family are moving to Wisconsin and we are sad to see them go.
UP: We are happy for them because it is a great opportunity and it was a swell party. Alex plays so well with these kids and they all seem to get along swimmingly…even when they are not swimming.
DOWN: I drank too much during the day today (after coming back from WalMart and then at this party) and forgot to eat breakfast or lunch because I had to deal with car bullshit this morning and it dragged on to the early afternoon. Then I didn’t have time to sit down before the party so I drank (sort of a lot) while I did some shit around the house, took a shower and got ready to leave…then drank at the birthday party. I had the presence of mind to ask Kim to do the driving.
UP: We decided to go to 4:30 Mass after the birthday party and the place was packed. Then we remembered this was going to be a special mass celebrated by our old pastor Fr. Steve Knox. It was wonderful to see him and hear those words of God’s charity, forgiveness and love from him. I’ve written about Fr. Steve before and I will say more about his most recent homily in another post. For now it was the perfect way to clam down and wrap up the ups and downs I had experienced up to this point in the day. Sorry.
UP: Alex, Kim and I were in the front row hence we were the first to receive Holy Communion. There is a definite correlation between time of arrival at Mass and proximity to the altar – the later you are the closer you get. Anyway we went back to our seats and Alex was looking through the seasonal hymnal with great purpose. He handed it to me opened up to #4 Ubi Caritas. Ubi Caritas was our Communion Hymn. It was the one the choir was currently singing. I said a bit too loudly: “What, you speak Latin now?” Alex: “No daddy.” Me: “How did you know this was our song?” Alex: “The singing lady said we were singing #4.”
Damn straight. I love the fact that the boy tries to solve problems even though he can’t read a dead language or English, which is closing in on being a dead language as well. At the very least, if the boy never learns to read he will still be a success as a functionally illiterate American citizen. Hell the way things have been going the boy’s on the fast track to be president. Sorry. He’ll learn to read. I am actually more proud of him that he can figure shit out without being able to read all that many words.
Just a little more on my SOXcubs comparisons. I realized when I talked about starting pitching as a whole I forgot to mention the WHiteSOx “big spring signing” 33 Javier Vazquez (yes you can sign someone you already have, I bet the Bears wish they could say that about Lance Briggs). You can’t talk about the SOX v. cubs pitching without thinking about the guys both teams overpaid for this offseason/Spring. I said that Lily might be worth his money (in relative baseball terms) and I am standing by that. Well, initially I laughed but now I think I know what 10 mildo means in today’s MLB pitching market. I think the SOX and the cubs will each have a surprise in their starting pitching - or they will surprise us as fans this year. SOX fans are down and rightfully so, on Vazquez. Last year he was the best 41/2 – 5 inning pitcher I ever saw. It was like he had no-hit stuff and then Whamm-0! He’d get pounded for 5 runs in the 5th or the 6th (or 5 in the 5th and 5 more in the 6th if Ozzie thought his bullpen was tired or not capable of bailing out JV) and he’d be gone. The explanation for this seems to be (or that seemed to be) Vazquez came from the National League no one could figure him out the first time through the rotation then once the other team figured him out he was infinitely more beatable. One of two things will happen this year, teams will have a better book on Vazquez and torch him pretty badly right out of the gate and the SOX will have big problems, or Vazquez will figure out what happens with his arm angle or release points, manipulate those things and will be able to go 6 or 7 strong, and with the improvements in the SOX bullpen Vazquez will win between 15-18 this year. Remember I said SOX fans and my expectations for Vazquez should be low but I am betting that he will be a surprise. Surprise for the cubs pitching, look for 52 Wade Miller to be recovered from his surgery (from a year and a half ago I think). Nobody has any expectations for this guy. Lou slipped up this morning (or yesterday, I forget) and basically said that Miller would be the 5th starter. He is going to pitch against some pretty shitty competition in the National League Central and I think he will benefit from some strong run support. You combine crappy pitching (from other NL Central teams) with that cub lineup and it could be an easy ride for Miller this year. Those who followed the greatest Chicago baseball season in living memory know that Jon Garland benefited from being the 4th or 5th starter against Indian, Tiger and Royal staffs that sucked eggs in 2005. The cubs may make me look stupid, but if you were to ask me Miller or Vazquez who has a better chance to, uh…do better…I’d say Miller and ADVANTAGE cubs.
It may seem like I am spending a lot of time with pitching comparisons, catching, and you will see me talk about defense up the middle and defense in general before I get to lineups or homers or managers or anything – that’s because for either team to make the playoffs – NO MATTER HOW BAD THEIR DIVISION IS – they are going to need pitching and defense. You do not make the playoffs if you cannot catch the ball. I guess the cubs disproved that in 2003 and really the last time they made it in 1998 because their last two “successful” seasons have been predicated on waiting for the 3 run home run and having the other teams in the race collapse. But to MeatHead, and now Devin (they’ve both predicted that the cubs are going to the playoffs, or at least both are convinced that the cubs are far more likely to go than my beloved SOX) – your team may seem like it has the easiest path to the playoffs but if they do not catch the ball they will not wind up as the tallest midgets in the NL Central. Mark my words, the cubs have defensive problems up the Ying Yang and more importantly, up the middle of the field. I think Z may finally show that he can sort of field his position this year – YES EVEN STUD PITCHERS HAVE TO FIELD AND THROW THE BALL TO THE CORRECT BASE – but I will have a lot to say about what the cubs have at short, 2nd and centerfield in the next few posts. I am not saying that the cubs will not make the playoffs, but if they do, guys are going to have to outplay their track records in the field. And folks, there is a reason why people who know some shit about baseball (a lot more than I do) look at a guy’s track record. They tend to do what they’ve done in the past once they get to a certain stage in their career. Much more on this crap later.
Proverbs 19:21…that’s one hell of a typo Mr. Inglesias.


11 Comments:
What do you mean up the middle?
Is this a gay blog?
Izturus has one if not a couple of gold gloves. DeRosa is plenty capable of catching the ball (don't rule out Theriot's playing time). Barret cathches the ball even though he can't throw anybody out. I fear the Soriano experiment in center at wrigley. Along with Jones these are the two glaring defensive positions on the team. The rest of the starters (hopefully excluding floyd) are very capable.
The NL Central will be stronger that you give the credit. My sleeper team are the Brewers. They got some talent. watch out for Dave Bush. He can throw. Put him after a healthy Ben sheets and capuano. The 'Stros have added some decent pitching and a big bat. I don't expect the Reds starters to repeat what they did last year (I did not expect it then).
I am never saying "cubbies are going to the playoffs" until they get there like 10 years in a row. That team has let me down too many times, but they are still my team.
EdP-look out for the Royals. They have some young studs.
We'll see what kind of shape Izturus' elbow is in...the Baseball Zeus and others say it was a major surgery thing...um I'm a medical idiot. BUT if healthy the cubs have a great defensive player at short and I don't care what a waste he is at the plate...they need him because Mark DeRo...uh dude I saw him play a lot of games with the Rangers - offense will be there but his range is ishy at best...a healthy Izturus may make up for the fielding sins of a A-Ram and a DelRo...but again, if he is healthy...I hope for the sake of cub baseball that the Soriano experiment is not a disaster in center. The guy was a butcher at 2nd with the Yankees (one big reason why he is no longer there, a 2nd is he never showed up in the playoffs) he was a butcher and a malcontent with the Nats (just ask DC)...the cubs are due to have one decent big aquisition either by trade or signing - Nomar?!?! D-Lee with all the injuries?!?!? The law of averages says the Soriano thing will work (I have nothing to base that on, although the Sox Erstad who knows something about outfield having played all three positions) says center, of the three is the easiest...he and Lou oughta know better than yours truly...
Re young studs and the Royals, they'll be ok so long as Hal McRae doesn't hit them with a fucking phone.
Why don't you trade in the wagon for a roller coaster? At least they come with that big strong safety bar that snaps you into place.
Have you heard the Sox are trying to get A-Rod from the Yanks?
Yeah - I don't know how they will get around the we don't deal with Borous thing...more on this later Official GM - but I think they have to be in the A-Rod running if for no other reason than to continue competing with the cubs...and World Series title or not you and I as SOX fans both know they sort of need to keep doing this
A roller coster ride to work or school would be awesome!
A few other things on A-Rod
1.) I'd be all in favor of the SOX getting A-Rod even though I think Uribe is going to have a better season - it's friggin A-Rod
2.) He would be better back at short even though he might never have the same numbers that he did earlier in his career...A-Rod will hit a ton of homers at SOXpark
3.) The SOX of all the teams out there have the most to offer the Yankees. This has to be part of why Kenny has been stockpiling all these young power arms - some he will use but some have to be tradebait. Will the Yankees bite on the one real trade they need - a new stock of pitchers for their farm system either for their pitching-poor farm future, or for other trades - the SOX have everything the Yankees could want...
4. ...even if they threw Crede in the deal. I'd be sad to see Joe go but the SOX could bring up Fields at 3rd - with A-Rod's production and Crede's back (sorry Comet) the SOX could make the move
5. No matter what Chicago team A-Rod goes to the pressure will go WAY DOWN...the New York sports media make our guys look like a bunch of softy clownbags...I think A-Rod would flourish on either side of town - the SOX need him more and A-Rod has a better chance to strike back at the Yankees with the SOX both from an AL league competition point of view and winning a championship first...even my friends picking the cubs to go to the playoffs, I'm sure none of you think the cubs will win a World Series before the WhiteSOX win one again
I just went through the same thing with my company's HR. Nobody had a clue where my paycheck was going (direct deposit not always an opton with this company-they gross over 10 billion), 401K cancelled along with benefits. I sat there rather pissed in the HR ofice in Dallas and to myself "Thank you fucking Levy". the girl there flew off her seat and got in my face about disrepecti'. what the fuck. I am missing three paychecks and missing all of my benefits? That's the fuck!
Time to look for some new work somwhere else
That is much worse than my stupid situtation. Good luck with everything pal. Hell it's Texas, just go crazy down the streets and blast away (this blog does not reflect the true opinions of Santipissed and can not be used as evidence in either criminal or civil proceedings, this is not a disclaimer)
I think I had the Ubi Carnitas at a Levi restaurant once.
Post a Comment
<< Home